Paul Kantner, Jefferson Airplane co-founder, dies at 74

webfact

Paul Kantner, Jefferson Airplane Co-Founder, Dies at 74
Dave McNary

SAN FRANCISCO: -- Paul Kantner, a founding member of Jefferson Airplane, died Thursday of multiple organ failure, his publicist told the San Francisco Chronicle. He was 74.

Kantner had suffered a heart attack earlier in the week. He had also suffered a heart attack in March 2015.

Kantner, a native of San Francisco, broke into the business in the late ’50s as a folk musician who idolized Pete Seeger. He was the first band member recruited by Marty Balin to form Jefferson Airplane in San Francisco in 1965 after Balin saw Kantner perform at the folk club the Drinking Gourd.

Full story: https://variety.com/2016/music/obituaries-people-news/paul-kantner-dead-jefferson-airplane-1201691466/

-- VARIETY 2016-01-29

Jefferson Airplane co-founder Paul Kantner dies at age 74

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Paul Kantner, an original member of the seminal 1960s rock band Jefferson Airplane and the eventual leader of successor group Jefferson Starship, has died at age 74.

Kantner, who had survived close brushes with death as a younger man and recovered from a heart attack last year, died at a San Francisco hospital on Thursday after falling ill earlier in the week, former girlfriend and publicist Cynthia Bowman told The Associated Press.

Few bands so embodied the idealism and hedonism of the late 60s music scene in San Francisco as Jefferson Airplane. Kantner drew upon his passion for politics and science fiction to help write favorites such as "Wooden Ships."

The group was the first from the Bay Area to get a national record contract and achieve mainstream success, thanks to the classics "Somebody to Love" and "White Rabbit."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-29

Paul Kantner, founding member of ‘Jefferson Airplane’, dead at 74
BY BNO NEWS

SAN FRANCISCO: -- American musician Paul Kantner, who was a founding member of the rock band “Jefferson Airplane,” which achieved international success with hits such as “Somebody to Love” and “White Rabbit” in the 1960s, has died. He was 74.

Cynthia Bowman, his longtime publicist and friend, told the San Francisco Chronicle that Kantner died of multiple organ failure and septic shock on Thursday after suffering a heart attack earlier this week. He also suffered other health problems in recent years, including a heart attack last year.

Full story: http://www.streetwisejournal.com/paul-kantner-founding-member-of-jefferson-airplane-dead-at-74/

swlogo.jpg
-- StreetWiseJournal 2016-01-29

R I P. Blows against the empire still one of my favs. A mate had him over and played it in the uk 5? Years ago and reckoned he still v v much lived the rock and roll Life style, among other indulgences his tipple what it was i can't remember but i do remember he reckoned it was to the tune of a couple of bottles plus a day

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Paul Kantner did some great songwriting with Jefferson Airplane: “Volunteers” (with Marty Balin); “Wooden Ships” (with Crosby and Stills); etc., etc. The 1967 Airplane radio song “Somebody to Love” completely won me over.

But it is Kantner’s 1970 concept album “Blows Against the Empire” by the lineup backing him and Grace Slick, and called Jefferson Starship, that really blew me away. I had just returned into civilian life from combat in Vietnam, and I found my beloved country to be a virtual police state under that Nixon creep and the creep before him. Thus: “We are all outlaws in the eyes of Amerika”…. That album is a timeless libertarian statement.

Nice to know that Blows Against The Empire has so many fans. I had gotten the impression that I was the only one that had ever heard of it. My best concert EVER was the tour where they played the whole sci-fi rock opera with members of Jefferson Airplane, The Grateful Dead, Quicksilver and other Bay Area bands. I had given up drugs completely for a while, but could not resist a few joints that were being passed around.

Before my time. All I know is that he never would have made it today.

No way he could have competed with Justine Bieber, K-Pop, One Direction, Tyga, Kanye, Rihanna, Drake etc. whistling.gif

I suppose alot of TVF's old timers are feeling vulnerable right about now. It get's more depressing: Grace Slick is 76.

Who's next? Joannie Mitchell who is in a near vegetative state or Linda Ronstadt who has Parkinson's.

After Bathing at Baxter's (1967) is a time capsule of 60's angst and artistry. In my opinion JA's best work, though probably not their best known.

"Watch Her Ride" is one of my favorite songs from the Haight-Ashbury music scene.

Edited by aTomsLife

No way he could have competed with Justine Bieber, K-Pop, One Direction, Tyga, Kanye, Rihanna, Drake etc. whistling.gif

I suppose alot of TVF's old timers are feeling vulnerable right about now. It get's more depressing: Grace Slick is 76.

Who's next? Joannie Mitchell who is in a near vegetative state or Linda Ronstadt who has Parkinson's.

Weeeell thats just your opinion because you are not from our day so you look at stuff from your day and comment......To me a couple of names you quoted to me are crap musically, and l love music......tongue.png

transam, g.k.'s extracting the urine.

What a great band they were, It's no use getting depressed about the talents from our youth dropping off the perch, Buddhism teaches us nothing lasts for ever.Energy simply changes form, personally I hope to change into a rosewood tree on our farm in the next life, nice views with a breeze.So long as there are people there will be music and music played by guitars and sung will never die out.

RIP Paul Kantner

After Bathing at Baxter's (1967) is a time capsule of 60's angst and artistry. In my opinion JA's best work, though probably not their best known.

"Watch Her Ride" is one of my favorite songs from the Haight-Ashbury music scene.

"Baxter's" was the first album I bought, at the tender age of 16, after buying my first record player. 1968.

Their first live album was "Bless Its Pointed Little Head" recorded at the Fillmore East, first time I heard Fred Neil's "The Other Side of This Life."

On the album "Volunteers" there is a song "Turn My Life Down" written by Jorma. Listened to that one once in a, uh, sensitive mood at a rough time, and it had profound effect on my attitude toward living.

Borrowed moments

Cannot fill

Portions of our lives

Still gives me the chills hearing it again.

Weeeell thats just your opinion because you are not from our day so you look at stuff from your day and comment......To me a couple of names you quoted to me are crap musically, and l love music......

I'm pretty sure that geriatrickid was joking - at least I hope so. He doesn't seem like the type who would be a Justin Bieber fan to me. The sarcastic smiley he used gives it away.

Weeeell thats just your opinion because you are not from our day so you look at stuff from your day and comment......To me a couple of names you quoted to me are crap musically, and l love music......

I'm pretty sure that geriatrickid was joking - at least I hope so. He doesn't seem like the type who would be a Justin Bieber fan to me. The sarcastic smiley he used gives it away.

Who's Justin Bieber?

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously joking.

Justin Bieber's name associated with anything makes it comical or ironic.