Sagging wires cause traffic mayhem in South Pattaya

Rimmer

Sagging wires cause traffic mayhem in South Pattaya

n7wires1.jpg

PATTAYA:--One of Pattaya’s infamous jumbles of power and utility wires finally sagged low enough to cause an accident when a tour bus snagged lines hanging over the Bali Hai Pier flyover, pulling down two utility poles and bringing traffic to a standstill.

No one was injured Jan. 22 when the bus knocked down the two poles on the bridge, but nearby residents were forced to redirect traffic to keep motorists away from the downed lines.

The incident actually began hours before, local motorbike taxi drivers said, when one tour bus snagged low-hanging wires without causing further damage.

That changed when a second bus came through the area later and hit the same jumble of wires, now sagging even lower, and yanked them hard enough to bring down the utility poles.

Bundles of cable television, telephone, Internet and electric wires have been a continual source of complaints in the city, with residents warning they will, one day, cause a serious accident or fire.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/sagging-wires-cause-traffic-mayhem-in-south-pattaya-55262#sthash.ARVrWRTa.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2016-01-29 footer_n.gif

"...they will, one day, cause a serious accident or fire"

Like the name of the hotel in the background ?

Here is a spaghetti fire - happens too often.

Does anyone know who to call to fix this kind of issue? My friend opened a bar recently and the spaghetti above the entrance is so bad we have to duck. He says he has called the utility company 10 times and no love.

post-30837-0-52826100-1454061457_thumb.j

Edited by smccolley

Who remembers the bus that caught some wires while driving through flood water at Rhompo market in Jomtien about four years ago.

Seven of the tyres exploded, as the driver calmly evacuates his passengers off the bus in to 30cm of flood water and sparks all over the bus.

Nobody died - miracles do happen. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gif

If you think the wires are bad here in Pattaya I am here to tell you they are far, far, far,

worse in Iquique (northern Chile). I have spent many weeks there on many trips

paragliding and the wires there make the rats nest hear look downright organized

and tidy. I used to have pictures but alas I no longer do. facepalm.gif

If you think the wires are bad here in Pattaya I am here to tell you they are far, far, far,

worse in Iquique (northern Chile). I have spent many weeks there on many trips

paragliding and the wires there make the rats nest hear look downright organized

and tidy. I used to have pictures but alas I no longer do. facepalm.gif

I'm sorry, but they are so bad in Pattaya that anyone claiming worse in another country will need to provide photographic evidence. Until you do, I don't believe you.biggrin.png

a few years ago, I watched in amazement as a good sized truck made its way north on soi bukhao with a guy standing on the top lifting wires as the truck moved along.

I've seen that on quite a few occasions.

something that an occasional and very simple inspection would prevent, but failing that, maybe it could have been prevented by the bus drivers actually looking where they are going

Well I am sure many people drove under them and noticed them on a daily basis, and one or two coaches may have received warning thwacks..... even if reported to City Hall, reaction times are slow.

Perhaps time for a City wide height/size limit on these tourist coaches.

Edited by jacko45k

I wonder how other more advanced countries are able to deliver services without tons of wires..... oh, they learn things in school and apply knowledge.

Yup! Around here, only an accident like this will get this section corrected. There thought of, "maybe we should fix it before another accident happens", will never enter anyone's mind, thanks to the Thai school system and pure laziness. coffee1.gif