Do some shops around MBK give out warranties for IT stuff? (and honor them?)

dblaisde

The last one I bought from Tukcom was a few years ago and had a very small connection to the box instead of a sturdy usb. That connection finally got weak and stopped working. At Tukcom they told me to contact WD and WD told me to buy a new model.

Forget WD. I suggest buying a quality hard drive and a case for it to go in. Whenever I finish with my old computers I take the hard drive out and buy a case so I can use it as a portable. And don't be talked into getting the usb3.0 case. Get the usb2.0.

Any (most) normal shops will honor the warranty. I have had full warranty over a laptop, an internal and external HD and even a powersupply. They just send it back to their supplier whom checks it (or sends it on) and overtime it is fixed or replaced free of any charge. Time is the issue here and don't wait for them to call you (they forget???), just go by after 2 weeks (and again and again)

Buy it anywhere that has a good price for the item you want. As mentioned in the first reply, Western Digital will handle the warranty directly.

Their service center is at Pantip. I took a faulty WD Passport there a few months ago. They scanned the barcode on the product to check that it was still covered, and gave me a brand new one right there on the spot with no questions asked or hassle at all.

Of course, lost data is not covered- only the hardware.

I was well pleased with this outcome, and Western Digital is now my brand of choice.

Edited by bino

I bought one in Zeer Rangsit and I have had no need for a warranty it has been perfect same for a 1TB Hard drive I bought for my desktop. I have never had a problem with a WD drive although I am sure there are some people who have

I have found even some of the kiosks will replace faulty goods if they know you. Be polite. Get a receipt and if something is not right go back. One little kiosk replaced an adaptor no questions asked. She remembered me because I chatted to her about her products (and I am hansom man ) Also go to a shop in Panthip and same good service. Treat people with respect and you will get a lot.

I bought one in Zeer Rangsit and I have had no need for a warranty it has been perfect same for a 1TB Hard drive I bought for my desktop. I have never had a problem with a WD drive although I am sure there are some people who have

My 1TB WD passport crapped out after about 3 years. It's done some travelling, though I've never dropped it or bashed it around and it always goes on "carry on" on airplanes. 3 years isn't bad, and of course everything is backed up, but it's time for another. Cheers!

Buy it anywhere that has a good price for the item you want. As mentioned in the first reply, Western Digital will handle the warranty directly.

Their service center is at Pantip. I took a faulty WD Passport there a few months ago. They scanned the barcode on the product to check that it was still covered, and gave me a brand new one right there on the spot with no questions asked or hassle at all.

Of course, lost data is not covered- only the hardware.

I was well pleased with this outcome, and Western Digital is now my brand of choice.

Good info. Thanks!

A friend of mine here in Chiang Mai is selling quite a few used ones different sizes. I would be glad to put you in touch. Externals HD are pretty sturdy I have 4 of them. Had a WD 1TB that refused to open shoved it in a draw for 5 months and it healed itself. Was shocked when I plugged it in and away it went.

Edited by elgordo38

WD warranties will require you to send it away and then only receive a percentage of the cost back as it already had some use. They are not new for old.

Better to use a better system and back up to cloud so you have a copy all the time. Just accept that you cannot just walk down to Tescos and get a new one.

I do all my IT stuff buying at Fortune Mall now. Never had a problem there. Another alternative is Invadeit.th.co.

Agree with both.

Jet Computer in Fortune Town sell a decent range of stuff, and have replaced items for me under warranty in the past.

WD warranties will require you to send it away and then only receive a percentage of the cost back as it already had some use. They are not new for old.

Better to use a better system and back up to cloud so you have a copy all the time. Just accept that you cannot just walk down to Tescos and get a new one.

Not true. As I mentioned in my post above, my faulty drive was replaced on the spot for a new one at Western Digital service center in Pantip Plaza.

Have in the MBK at the 4'th floor shop of Power Buy or the second chaine store,

they give original warranty.

But they won't exchange, or repair..........I tried with a portable scanner I bought there for trips abroad, it crapped out after half a dozen pages - they blamed y'computer' for damaging the scanner - fugetaboutit.

Usually the shop replaces a defective product within one month of the purchase date. After that you will need to contact WD directly. In Bangkok they are in Pantip. They are great, no need proof of purchase, from the S/N they know when you bought it and if it's still under warranty they will replace it no question asked.

My 1TB WD passport crapped out after about 3 years. It's done some travelling, though I've never dropped it or bashed it around and it always goes on "carry on" on airplanes. 3 years isn't bad, and of course everything is backed up, but it's time for another. Cheers!

Tesco have a promo right now on wd elements 1TB 1590THB and 2TB 3390THB