Listen To What The People Say, Thaksin

george

From the news over the last few days it looks as if Thaksin has done a good job in coving his tracks. I would think that the prudent thing to do is to have the military step in for a few days and quickly make copies of everything before any incriminating evidence accidently gets lost by some Thaksin loyalists.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the news over the last few days it looks as if Thaksin has done a good job in coving his tracks. I would think that the prudent thing to do is to have the military step in for a few days and quickly make copies of everything before any incriminating evidence accidently gets lost by some Thaksin loyalists.

I think all the allegations of corruption were made about "the Thaksin government". It could easily be the case that some members of the government were not linked. That, howeevr, does not mean the government were not corrupt as a body. Of course legally individuals will be investigated and at some point there will be some cases. CTX will in all likelihood get to court. Whether Mr. Thaksin personally benfitted in terms of direct corruption cash is moot. However, business families in political power can benefit financially in other ways. This, as in the case of the Shin sale may even prove to be technically legal as governments can change laws and make sure legal interpretations of loop holes are made in their favor. These kind of allegations and investigations are not easy to prove, and in the past coup makers who have moved quickly to seize assets have seen their decisions later overturned. The current government probably want to avoid this mistake and so are looking at high levels of legal proof. This kind of investigation is for the public also not sexy. Anyway we will see some court cases in the future, but not now. As someone else has pointed out the lese majeste claim may be the more interesting and potentially devastating for Mr. Thaksin of the potential cases, if it is brought.

There is also obviosly a lot of political manouvering going on right now, and nobody is really showing their hand. Mr. Thaksin is probably trying to test waters to see what is being lined up for him. This in itself may result in the current government playing its cards close to its chest. There is a lot more going on than we are aware of and it will only come out in time if at all. We should also not forget that the current government cannot punish everyone associated with Mr. Thaksin, and remember many of those in quite high positions were, and maybe still are, close to Mr. Thaksin. That would be too many people to punish and would only exacerbate the divisions. They need to bring in as many of these people as they can, but also be sure thy can trust them. To do that probably takes time and requires intense negotiation and thought. If anyone thought this would all be easy or quick, they were wrong.

I think all the allegations of corruption were made about "the Thaksin government". It could easily be the case that some members of the government were not linked. That, howeevr, does not mean the government were not corrupt as a body. Of course legally individuals will be investigated and at some point there will be some cases. CTX will in all likelihood get to court. Whether Mr. Thaksin personally benfitted in terms of direct corruption cash is moot. However, business families in political power can benefit financially in other ways. This, as in the case of the Shin sale may even prove to be technically legal as governments can change laws and make sure legal interpretations of loop holes are made in their favor. These kind of allegations and investigations are not easy to prove, and in the past coup makers who have moved quickly to seize assets have seen their decisions later overturned. The current government probably want to avoid this mistake and so are looking at high levels of legal proof. This kind of investigation is for the public also not sexy. Anyway we will see some court cases in the future, but not now. As someone else has pointed out the lese majeste claim may be the more interesting and potentially devastating for Mr. Thaksin of the potential cases, if it is brought.

There is also obviosly a lot of political manouvering going on right now, and nobody is really showing their hand. Mr. Thaksin is probably trying to test waters to see what is being lined up for him. This in itself may result in the current government playing its cards close to its chest. There is a lot more going on than we are aware of and it will only come out in time if at all. We should also not forget that the current government cannot punish everyone associated with Mr. Thaksin, and remember many of those in quite high positions were, and maybe still are, close to Mr. Thaksin. That would be too many people to punish and would only exacerbate the divisions. They need to bring in as many of these people as they can, but also be sure thy can trust them. To do that probably takes time and requires intense negotiation and thought. If anyone thought this would all be easy or quick, they were wrong.

Hammered, while I still contend that lese majeste is where they should be spending their efforts, I couldn't agree more on your and SJ's views that it will take the CNS a lot of time to prove that large scale corruption occurred. They are now finding out how smart Dr. Thaksin really is. He would make sure that nobody took immediate possession of large amounts of "dirty" money. It would be cleaned over and over first. Perhaps the bulk of it is still not even in their possession and maybe not in Thailand either. Who knows? This man is not just street smart, he is cunning.

National reconciliation is paramount to the CNS, because if they don't get the average Thai to "buy" into the evils of Thaksin, then Thai's will always be willing to welcome him back. The CNS can't have this. Hence, if they stay with proving rampant corruption and it takes more than one year, then they will delay elections etc. If they can prove lese majeste, or even enough to where the average Thai questions Dr. Thaksin's actions, then, in my view, they will have a better chance at national reconciliation.

Hammered, while I still contend that lese majeste is where they should be spending their efforts, I couldn't agree more on your and SJ's views that it will take the CNS a lot of time to prove that large scale corruption occurred. They are now finding out how smart Dr. Thaksin really is. He would make sure that nobody took immediate possession of large amounts of "dirty" money. It would be cleaned over and over first. Perhaps the bulk of it is still not even in their possession and maybe not in Thailand either. Who knows? This man is not just street smart, he is cunning.

National reconciliation is paramount to the CNS, because if they don't get the average Thai to "buy" into the evils of Thaksin, then Thai's will always be willing to welcome him back. The CNS can't have this. Hence, if they stay with proving rampant corruption and it takes more than one year, then they will delay elections etc. If they can prove lese majeste, or even enough to where the average Thai questions Dr. Thaksin's actions, then, in my view, they will have a better chance at national reconciliation.

I am in agreement on the lese majeste. I think they are also probably holding some stuff back right now while initial politcal manouvers take place.

I take this post just as an example of the fantasy land in which many farang exist, a mixture of plain ignorance and wish fulfilment.I could as well have taken as an example the comically inept advice given by other posters that investigators should concentrate on lese majeste.It's interesting that Temasek/tax avoidance has now almost been forgotten.No evidence has been found of corruption.And yet Thaksin is guilty of changing the rules of the game for his own business interests and of condoning murderous brutality at Tak Bai.Perhaps these are areas the investigators should concentrate on.Oh well perhaps not as this might show he had more support on these issues than is now fashionable to admit.

But none of this will stop silliness of some posters.And meanwhile there are millions and millions of Thais who are saying one thing, observing a ritual if you like, but believing something very different.It's common for farang to underestimate the acuity of Thais but I suspect they understand very well what this struggle is really all about.

Just as an addendum to my comments above a quote from a letter in THe Nation today

"Lese majeste laws may seem an attractive tool with which to damage Thaksin's standing in the eyes of rural voters but they are likely to have the opposite effect in the wider world.Lese majeste laws are fundamentally undemocratic and any attempt to use them against an elected prime minister will be seen as an attack on democracy itself.

Charging Thaksin under these laws is likely to bring universal condemnation from democrats on a matter of principle, regardless of Thai pleading of special circumstances.Thaksin will be cast in the role of persecuted champion of Thai democracy"

All of this is obvious to anybody with even a modicum of political acumen.However this seems to exclude quite a few posters on this forum.

I take this post just as an example of the fantasy land in which many farang exist, a mixture of plain ignorance and wish fulfilment.I could as well have taken as an example the comically inept advice given by other posters that investigators should concentrate on lese majeste.It's interesting that Temasek/tax avoidance has now almost been forgotten.No evidence has been found of corruption.And yet Thaksin is guilty of changing the rules of the game for his own business interests and of condoning murderous brutality at Tak Bai.Perhaps these are areas the investigators should concentrate on.Oh well perhaps not as this might show he had more support on these issues than is now fashionable to admit.

But none of this will stop silliness of some posters.And meanwhile there are millions and millions of Thais who are saying one thing, observing a ritual if you like, but believing something very different.It's common for farang to underestimate the acuity of Thais but I suspect they understand very well what this struggle is really all about.

OK so correct me if I am wrong but did not the military trash a whole bunch of laws including the constitution and more or less reset things? I am not sure how they are doing the investigation but I suspect it is to the rules as they are today. So whatever Thaksin did more than likely did not break his own custom made laws. Thaksin has repeatedly said I broke no laws, no doubt this is what he means.

Certainly the possibility exists that he will be charged along with the members of parliament who voted for the laws that were self serving and very obviously not in the best interest of the kingdom. Another dance with the devil?

OK so correct me if I am wrong but did not the military trash a whole bunch of laws including the constitution and more or less reset things? I am not sure how they are doing the investigation but I suspect it is to the rules as they are today. So whatever Thaksin did more than likely did not break his own custom made laws. Thaksin has repeatedly said I broke no laws, no doubt this is what he means.

Certainly the possibility exists that he will be charged along with the members of parliament who voted for the laws that were self serving and very obviously not in the best interest of the kingdom. Another dance with the devil?

\

Incoherence as well as ignorance/wish fulfilment.Not a very promising combination.

If you can assemble your thoughts in a comprehensible way, I will attempt an answer.

Just as an addendum to my comments above a quote from a letter in THe Nation today

"Lese majeste laws may seem an attractive tool with which to damage Thaksin's standing in the eyes of rural voters but they are likely to have the opposite effect in the wider world.Lese majeste laws are fundamentally undemocratic and any attempt to use them against an elected prime minister will be seen as an attack on democracy itself.

Charging Thaksin under these laws is likely to bring universal condemnation from democrats on a matter of principle, regardless of Thai pleading of special circumstances.Thaksin will be cast in the role of persecuted champion of Thai democracy"

All of this is obvious to anybody with even a modicum of political acumen.However this seems to exclude quite a few posters on this forum.

While you are totally correct in that the use of lese majeste laws will upset the west, we should also not forget that even though conventional wisdom had it that a coup would totally upset the west it still happened. In fact we could have used precisely your arguement in relation to the coup. We really do not know what will go on in the future. Life is unpredictable, and most are aware of the power struggles. However, people on here seem to enjoy debating what may happen, and in time may be proved very wrong, but whatever. Why not leave a little room for debate rather than indulging in attacks on people's acumen?

Peace.

\

Incoherence as well as ignorance/wish fulfilment.Not a very promising combination.

If you can assemble your thoughts in a comprehensible way, I will attempt an answer.

I guess what I am saying that is reflected in other posts, that we do not know what is going on and we can only assume what standards the government is using to weigh Thaksin. My comment has no answer but was only meant to inspire another viewpoint and perhaps lend to predict what may happen in the coming days and weeks.

Certainly if I was doing an investigation and I knew the people that had the evidence may be in the other camp, I would make a preemptive strike by making copies before they found what I was looking for.

How very magnanimous of Pojaman :D to offer her and Thakky's assets to be seized if they're proven to be illegal. What the he11 else did she expect would happen with them? :D Given to Chiang Mai Night Safari??? :D:D

Also, in keeping with their long-held charitable history :o (well, they've been charitable for at least 24 hours):

Pojaman also offered to donate an unidentified amount from the family's fortune to charity, according a source. She then asked Prem to allow Thaksin's return to Thailand.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

How very magnanimous of Pojaman :D to offer her and Thakky's assets to be seized if they're proven to be illegal. What the he11 else did she expect would happen with them? :D Given to Chiang Mai Night Safari??? :D:D

Also, in keeping with their long-held charitable history :o (well, they've been charitable for at least 24 hours):

Pojaman also offered to donate an unidentified amount from the family's fortune to charity, according a source. She then asked Prem to allow Thaksin's return to Thailand.

- The Nation

Perhaps they should take her offer and just do it now to save everyone the suspense.

- The Nation

Perhaps they should take her offer and just do it now to save everyone the suspense.

I know it sounds crazy, John, but she's only offered to her assets seized AFTER they've proven to be illegal... Her absurdity knows no bounds.

Geeezz Now your going to get me to try to figure out the Thaksin game plan. Well lets see it at the first glance, the innocent angel approach by the Mrs. This is possibly just a diversion for the moment to keep Thaksin is out of the media’s immediate eye. He I am sure is scheming his return. Personally I would be concerned if he was just a border run from Thailand in Malaysia or Cambodia. No reason to hang around there unless he was ready to spring something.

While you are totally correct in that the use of lese majeste laws will upset the west, we should also not forget that even though conventional wisdom had it that a coup would totally upset the west it still happened. In fact we could have used precisely your arguement in relation to the coup. We really do not know what will go on in the future. Life is unpredictable, and most are aware of the power struggles. However, people on here seem to enjoy debating what may happen, and in time may be proved very wrong, but whatever. Why not leave a little room for debate rather than indulging in attacks on people's acumen?

Peace.

My comment on poitical acumen was just an aside comment.But there is a legitimate concern that the level of debate has been deplorable, unless you take the view that one person's view is as good as another.Take the two two prior posts as an example, simply moronic.There are some very perceptive and knowledgeable commentators on this forum but I know they are inhibited by what and what not we allowed to discuss.Oddly enough the press is much more open these days.

- The Nation

These people really think they're above everything, everyone and especially the law... Seizing illegal assets? Of course! But... does she really think they'd deserve to get away without imprisonment? :D

- The Nation

These people really think they're above everything, everyone and especially the law... Seizing illegal assets? Of course! But... does she really think they'd deserve to get away without imprisonment? :D

Your general standard of posting has been lamentable, not for the views you express but for the puerile level of analysis behind them.However I am tempted to intervene on this one occasion by suggesting you be very careful when talking about people who think they're above everything and especially the law.... and thinking they deserve to get away without imprisonment.That casts the net very wide indeed in this country.

- The Nation

Your general standard of posting has been lamentable, not for the views you express but for the puerile level of analysis behind them.However I am tempted to intervene on this one occasion by suggesting you be very careful when talking about people who think they're above everything and especially the law.... and thinking they deserve to get away without imprisonment.That casts the net very wide indeed in this country.

I am saying that Thaksin's wife deserves a jail term if found guilty of any crimes and that she can't get way with it by offering her assets to be seized and hand out large donations. If she wasn't in the scope, she is now after this lower than low attempt at saving her a55. The next time Thaksin walks off the plane and throws a hypocrit wai, his hands will be in perfect position to slap handcuffs on him.

You seem to think that I was criticizing the coup, it's leaders and supporters. Wrong.

I have a funny feeling you post on this forum using more than one identity. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

simply moronic.

I realize your quite a new member of thaivisa, so I would point you in the direction of the forum rules you agreed to when you joined, specifically the ones addressing flaming.

Thank you for your future cooperation.

I may be a new member of Thai Visa but I am a very long standing resident of Thailand.What I am looking for is an intelligent, informed and constructive approach in discussing Thailand's current political and economic challenges.There are many on this forum who have the capacity to contribute with some distinction.I will leave it to others to assess whether you fall into this category.You witter on about flaming when that is the last thing on my mind.I would with respect suggest as a frequent poster you do your best to raise the quality of the discussion, rather than bandy around "flaming" accusations.

simply moronic.

I realize your quite a new member of thaivisa, so I would point you in the direction of the forum rules you agreed to when you joined, specifically the ones addressing flaming.

I may be a new member of Thai Visa but I am a very long standing resident of Thailand.What I am looking for is an intelligent, informed and constructive approach in discussing Thailand's current political and economic challenges.There are many on this forum who have the capacity to contribute with some distinction.I will leave it to others to assess whether you fall into this category.You witter on about flaming when that is the last thing on my mind.I would with respect suggest as a frequent poster you do your best to raise the quality of the discussion, rather than bandy around "flaming" accusations.

Actually, your posting history in the short time you've been here is rife with flames and direct personal derogatory insults.

If that is what you consider "intelligent, informed and constructive approach," you're in the wrong place.

Here's hoping you can conform to the forum rules as we all are expected to.

Edited by sriracha john

- The Nation

I am saying that Thaksin's wife deserves a jail term if found guilty of any crimes and that she can't get way with it by offering her assets to be seized and hand out large donations. If she wasn't in the scope, she is now after this lower than low attempt at saving her a55. The next time Thaksin walks off the plane and throws a hypocrit wai, his hands will be in perfect position to slap handcuffs on him.

You seem to think that I was criticizing the coup, it's leaders and supporters. Wrong.

I have a funny feeling you post on this forum using more than one identity. :D

Sorry I was under the impression you were criticising all those who took the law into their own hands.I had no idea you might be criticising the coup and its leadership.I think we are not really allowed to discuss those aspects so I suggest you exercise a little more caution in case you attract the attention of moderators.Next you will be reminding us that General Chalard was shot by firing squad for attempting a coup twenty years ago.Do be careful.

There you go again...

Please stop assuming or making predictions on my acount.

May I suggest YOU exercise a little more caution and lean NOW about your control panel options and use the ignore function. Add me to the list, that may save you and others some useless arguments, suspensions or bans.

simply moronic.

Actually, your posting history in the short time you've been here is rife with flames and direct personal derogatory insults.

If that is what you consider "intelligent, informed and constructive approach," you're in the wrong place.

Shall we leave it to others to judge who is providing interesting and incisive contributions and who is providing dross?

simply moronic.

Shall we leave it to others to judge who is providing interesting and incisive contributions and who is providing dross?

Evaluating the content of what is said has never been the point, it's how it's been said by you.

I'm simply expecting you to comply with the forum rules and not flame and write caustic remarks directed at members. Hopefully that's not too difficult to understand, is it?

Thank you, in advance, for agreeing to follow the rules you initially agreed to.

I'm simply expecting you to comply with the forum rules and not flame and write caustic remarks directed at members. Hopefully that's not too difficult to understand, is it?

:o:D:D John, you are constantly one of the worst offenders in this regard on Thai Visa. :D:D:D

Meanwhile, Gen Sonthi also confirmed Mr Thaksin has not contacted him to ask for a permission to return to Thailand. Gen Sonthi said he believed the deposed premier would not come back for now.

Gen Sonthi also confirmed Mr Thaksin had not asked for a meeting with prime minister Surayud Chulanont in China. This confirmation came amids a news report that Mr Thaksin flew from the UK to seek a meeting with Gen Surayud there.

Asian leaders, including Gen Surayud, currently join a summit in Nanning city of China. The summit focuses on creating a free trade zone.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/01Nov2006_news01.php

Pot...kettle...

Anyway, I believe he remarked in the passage you highlighted that the posts were moronic, rather than the posters, so I see a distinct lack of ad hominem attack.