57 year Old Briton Falls to His Death from Bangkok Apartment

rooster59

57 year Old Briton Falls to His Death from Bangkok Apartment

BANGKOK – A former British MBA lecturer fell to his death from his Bangkok apartment yesterday, following a report at 10.30am, by the apartment manager.

Metro Bangkok Police inspected the scene at Soi Sukhumvit 70/1 and the 57-year-old Briton’s rented room on sixth floor, which showed no sign of rummaging or any struggle the Nation reported.

Police stated they were still probing if this was an accidental fall from the balcony or a suicide, they are looking for more witnesses and evidence. The matter is under investigation.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/57-year-old-briton-falls-to-his-death-from-bangkok-apartment.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-01-31

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They forgot to mention the cigarette butts or lack of any. They did however correctly point to "signs of a struggle". In this case, apparently, lack of any. I see they have found a new word "rummaging". Although this could be the newspaper's thesaurus working overtime.

It absolutely amazes me how people can instantly summise as to what occurred! We know nothing other than he went over the edge, yet immediately the BIB slurs come out! Unbelievable stuff!!! The first three comments clearly show this.

What a negative bunch you guys are and yes, I can take all the replies! lol

Have a nice day.

Thailand will soon have the title of suicide capitol of the world.

Nearly every day another suicide reported !!!!

No signs of a struggle. You will not find any sign if you do not look for 1.

Only a farang. case closed.

Not surprised, Thailand being one of the top destination for retirement with highrise buildings...

It absolutely amazes me how people can instantly summise as to what occurred! We know nothing other than he went over the edge, yet immediately the BIB slurs come out! Unbelievable stuff!!! The first three comments clearly show this.

Have a nice day.

You are so right, it appears some people get their happiness from being miserable.

They forgot to mention the cigarette butts or lack of any. They did however correctly point to "signs of a struggle". In this case, apparently, lack of any. I see they have found a new word "rummaging". Although this could be the newspaper's thesaurus working overtime.

Their thesaurus obivously proposed the german word "rummachen". At least, we used this term when we were 17 or 19 years old (like "knutschen" (to smooch, to canoodle))

Sadly accidents do happen, and as Thailand is officially pressing ahead to become the Hub of all “Accidents” it is only natural that the more educated members of TV suspect something fishy.

Many foreigners here have serious financial problems and so many stupidly burnt all their bridges back in their home Country’s; so when in such despair life looks worthless.

Hope he had a good end of life here however the end sadly camewai2.gif

It would be interesting to see stats on high rise deaths in popular tourist towns like Costa del sol Miami, Caribbean , Surfers Paradise and Denpassar.

My guess is Thailand will top the charts just as it does with most countries own stats on deaths overseas.

LOS is definitely a chart topper.

Edited by jalansanitwong

Have a nice day.

I totally agree. But Thailand attracts all manner of folk....and quite a number seem to have escaped something back home...broken marriages, depression, debt, the judicial system etc...the suicide rate is sadly predictable, given the lack of support to those in crises makes the situation much worse. Unfortunately police tend to but farang deaths like this under the carpet, despite some of the nefarious situations some of them find themselves in.

"Rummaging" is at least a common American word for going through odds and ends looking for something. You might have a rummage sale which would be selling odds and ends from around the place. You might rummage through your closet looking for something. I don't know where the word came from other than apparently an American?

RIP. There are too many.

Not out of the realms of possibilities that among the hundreds of thousands of foreigners

living in Thailand and the 25 million tourists who comes to this country, some will be

with problems of all sorts ant and kinds, and some will have the same trusted upon

them, the statistics are fairly reasonable to accept that number of fatalities....

What ? They will build a large seat of Government for people to commit suicide in ?

Have a nice day.

What really made my cynical about "foreigner suicide" was when a Russian was stabbed three times in the chest last year, in his apartment, and it was ruled suicide by police because there was no sign of forced entry. I think there is a strong case to be made for skepticism. BTW ... the Thais I know share the same cynicism in investigating crimes resulting in death.

Yes, Thailands' a fools paradise. Every year hundreds of western men find out the hard way and suicide or become alcoholics.

The only reason i am here is because i'm a manufacturer/exporter. I'm not here for the instant love and marriage nonesense.

I know a farang who came here with atleast 6m baht lost the lot but didnt suicide because he got thrown in prison first.

TIT

Strange that Chiangrai have a good English language news online that report news from local and national events in Thailand ;nothing similar in Chiangmai.

A few years ago we had Chiangmai Mail but it seems they were prevented to write about local accidents or crime scenes. . Mostly, only nice thing would be said about Chiangmai

In Chiangmai now , most English language online news report mostly on official events with a lot of photos of important government persons presenting themselves awards or business people opening new business. It seem that it is not welcome to write about the accidents and crime news in Chiangmai

The Thai languages Khaosod and Chiangmai108 have all the news but I can not read Thai.

Phuket and Pattaya also have good English news about all local events.

Bravo to Chiangrai Times staff !

Yes, Thailands' a fools paradise. Every year hundreds of western men find out the hard way and suicide or become alcoholics.

The only reason i am here is because i'm a manufacturer/exporter. I'm not here for the instant love and marriage nonesense.

I know a farang who came here with atleast 6m baht lost the lot but didnt suicide because he got thrown in prison first.

TIT

Wow, jail after that loss might tempt me to find a short length of rope!!!!!!!

Have a nice day.

You are correct.

However the disturbing thing to be noted is we all know that the Police will do nothing further as they have more important things to deal with....while it is overly callous of the Police to: Instantaneously surmise as to what occurred ...as you, yourself have quoted and seen stated for the record

The death of someone is about as important as it can get concerning investigative police work yet it is amongst one of the important responsibilities that the Thai Police, more often than not, simply brush off and or outright ignore.

In other words, there is no money involved solving the death of another foreigner.....Case closed.....Unless..... someone???...... comes along and starts to feed the Police some money to further investigate the suspicious circumstances leading up to the mans very questionable death.

Suicide??...Hmmmmmm......Possibly .......Assisted Suicide ...More Likely.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Have a nice day.

You don't find it odd that more people "fall" from their balcony here in Thailand than anywhere else in the world?

I haven't read one incident so far from the Scandinavian countries in 5 years, not so say it doesn't happen, but I do find it odd that of hundred of cases, it's 1 Thai and 99 farrangs. (rough estimate).

Sadly accidents do happen, and as Thailand is officially pressing ahead to become the Hub of all Accidents it is only natural that the more educated members of TV suspect something fishy.

wai2.gif

'More educated members of TV'

Sorry, but I do not see what part your education plays when you reach whatever assumption you do as to what happened.

It would be interesting to see stats on high rise deaths in popular tourist towns like Costa del sol Miami, Caribbean , Surfers Paradise and Denpassar.

My guess is Thailand will top the charts just as it does with most countries own stats on deaths overseas.

LOS is definitely a chart topper.

Not sure about high rise deaths but I read an article in a UK newspaper that listed the numbers of UK deaths overseas. Spain understandably topped the charts as they have the highest number of visitors. The Philippines had the highest percentage of deaths compared to number of UK visitors. This was put down to the fact that more visitors to the Philippines are elderly retirees. I am afraid Thailand didn't top the charts but these figures weren't broken down into cause of death. There were some figures for US citizens dying which were much more detailed. I'm afraid I can't provide a link as when I tried to view the page I found that it has been blocked by the Ministry of Information. Welcome to the police state. I need to rummage around for a VPN.smile.png

Another ignorant comment. You make definitive statements without knowing any of the facts.

Try this one on then: Older Caucasian males commit suicide at the highest rate of any population group.

What age group is concentrated in Thailand? If the majority of people are from the at risk group, the suicide rate will reflect that.

I will make it even more clear for you. The old white folks with no money and chronic health issues such as heart disease, alcoholism, respiratory disease etc. are most likely to suicide.

"Only a farang. case closed."

So very true.

One of the reasons, after living 7 years in Thailand, I left and never looked back. I miss my friends, but not the corruption and prejudice. For those friends who remain, please be safe.

Edited by venturalaw