57 year Old Briton Falls to His Death from Bangkok Apartment

rooster59

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be interesting to see stats on high rise deaths in popular tourist towns like Costa del sol Miami, Caribbean , Surfers Paradise and Denpassar.

My guess is Thailand will top the charts just as it does with most countries own stats on deaths overseas.

LOS is definitely a chart topper.

Yes but more retirees here and he was only 57 year's old quite young . No mention of Thai partner and what they may have said. Just live within your means, do not pile money into Thai young women and family and keep your property in Europe such as let iit or downsize and keep a bolt hold. Our sympathies to his close friends and family.

It absolutely amazes me how people can instantly summise as to what occurred! We know nothing other than he went over the edge, yet immediately the BIB slurs come out! Unbelievable stuff!!! The first three comments clearly show this.

What a negative bunch you guys are and yes, I can take all the replies! lol

Have a nice day.

Perhaps because the RTP are viewed. As a corrupt organization by the UK police and for sure by the USA govt. how can anyone with more than half a brain accept anything they say.

Balcony walls are quite low in many apartment buildings in Bangkok. When I was living in Bangkok on a long-term basis, most of the places I stayed at had such low walls. And, I usually stayed in a high-storey room. Being someone who liked drinking a lot often, I guess I was lucky not to have fallen. In one place I stayed at, the toilet/shower was outside the room, just past the small balcony. A bit scary, eh ?

Apologies for this perceived Thai bashing moment but does anybody else think that TAT has more input into these statements than anybody else?? lets face it a farang jumping / falling to his / her own death must have so much more less impact on Tourism than "another farang murdered / pushed to their deaths has...cynicism rules ok :-( :-(

It absolutely amazes me how people can instantly summise as to what occurred! We know nothing other than he went over the edge, yet immediately the BIB slurs come out! Unbelievable stuff!!! The first three comments clearly show this.

Have a nice day.

And I am amazed that the police can jump to the suicide or accidental death conclusion so quickly.

This was not a young man who might be doing dangerous things, and a conclusion of suicide needs to be backed up by some evidence or reason.

It isn't negative in this country not to believe the first thing you are told, I stopped doing that after the first 2 months.

I do not understand why the police did not check for videos or noises from neighbors. No one commits suicide at 10:30 AM. But less paper work with suicide so the best answer by the Bangkok police. How many more farang deaths does it take to see that there is a big problem of people falling out of there balconies. Thailand has to be the #1 suicide capital of the world. You do not have to rob some one you want to kill. Just throw them from a high floor balcony! No sing of disturbance or scuffle!

Anything is possible.

Meantime the Police in Thailand seldom if ever follow up on such cases unless there is some incentive...as in money incentive....so they will claim it is a suicide and leave it at that.

When they do follow up and finally solve the mystery it is usually because someone was in their face all the time ( say a spouse or family member or relative or good friend etc.) that will not let up on the case until it is resolved.

Or...it was pretty obvious who did what in a number of cases....Such as the wife was plotting with the next door neighbor lover boy and they wanted the insurance money.

Maybe he did commit suicide...never know.....

Meantime the Thai Police are always quick to claim suicide was the reason for the fall before they even thoroughly check out the most basic of circumstantial evidence at the scene or numerous people attesting to relevant events leading up to the death.

Just because they claim there was no obvious signs of struggle does not mean no one was there in the room and pushed the man over the balcony....for what ever reason.

It would not be all that difficult to suddenly and forcefully upend someone and push them over the balcony if the act was totally unexpected and coming from behind and caught unaware.

Then there would be no signs of struggle...or certainly not obvious left over signs of a struggle to confirm without a doubt the man was murdered.

The police do not care and will not follow up on anything...case closed.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Nonsense trolling posts, inflammatory posts and replies have been removed. Grammar police post and a reply removed.

A post containing a link to Bangkok Post has been removed as well:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

I do not understand why the police did not check for videos or noises from neighbors. No one commits suicide at 10:30 AM. But less paper work with suicide so the best answer by the Bangkok police. How many more farang deaths does it take to see that there is a big problem of people falling out of there balconies. Thailand has to be the #1 suicide capital of the world. You do not have to rob some one you want to kill. Just throw them from a high floor balcony! No sing of disturbance or scuffle!

If no one commits suicide at 10:30AM, could you please advise us what the optimum time would be ?

Have a nice day.

This is Thailand where we don't receive the best quality expats remember?

another farang suicide..., good Police work boys, let's go get some breakfast....

No time for breakfast, they are too busy ' rummaging ' through his stuff!.....................cheesy.gif

Scouser: it seems to me that a lot of people here already know the word rummage and, can you believe it, even use it. More than that, there are Thai people whose English is quite good, excellent in many cases.

Why you think this is funny says a lot more about you than it says about any Thai.

It would be interesting to see stats on high rise deaths in popular tourist towns like Costa del sol Miami, Caribbean , Surfers Paradise and Denpassar.

My guess is Thailand will top the charts just as it does with most countries own stats on deaths overseas.

LOS is definitely a chart topper.

The problem is that many places don't report suicides in the media unless the person is a celebrity. This stuff happens every day in your home city, but it doesn't make the news. So the numbers here seem shocking. To make matters worse, we only read of foreigners' deaths... the many Thais who commit suicide every week don't come to our attention. So we just don't have the baseline data to make the proper comparisons, and so the numbers seem shocking. That said, i would expect an above average suicide rate for farangs here given typical age and circumstances...

If it was a considered , 'rational' suicide then the choice of method leaves a lot to be desired. With relatively easy access to life-ending pills, jumping is pretty inconsiderate given the result. On the other hand, if it's depression and spilt second it's understandable.

A friend of mine jumped ( 18th floor so no mistaking his intention) after tring twice by other means and being treated for depression. Everyone he left behind felt some kind of guilt that we didn't do enough to help. Even though this was 13 years ago, the memory of it is still bad and quite fresh

If no one commits suicide at 10:30AM, could you please advise us what the optimum time would be ?

If Mr Nobb can advise on the most popular times for people falling from condos. Then I can plan my day by not walking near them and avoid being hit by a falling person.

Yes, Thailands' a fools paradise. Every year hundreds of western men find out the hard way and suicide or become alcoholics.

The only reason i am here is because i'm a manufacturer/exporter. I'm not here for the instant love and marriage nonesense.

I know a farang who came here with atleast 6m baht lost the lot but didnt suicide because he got thrown in prison first.

TIT

Your obvious intellect is only matched by your cold arrogance sir

Also you didn't need to impress us with your reasons for being here, the fact you did suggests insecurity to me with delusions of grandeur.

You of course have never ever been a fool at some time in your tunnel visioned life!

If it was a considered , 'rational' suicide then the choice of method leaves a lot to be desired. With relatively easy access to life-ending pills, jumping is pretty inconsiderate given the result. On the other hand, if it's depression and spilt second it's understandable.

A friend of mine jumped ( 18th floor so no mistaking his intention) after tring twice by other means and being treated for depression. Everyone he left behind felt some kind of guilt that we didn't do enough to help. Even though this was 13 years ago, the memory of it is still bad and quite fresh

Thanks for an empathetic post ( What a nice change)

Its very sad that anyone takes their own life and yes there is guilt left among those who maybe didn't know the extent of the dead persons problems

The way people on here comment in such poor taste and without any "feeling" makes me feels so very sad.

The tragic ending of a life in this manner is certainly not something to make clever or judgemental remarks about and says more about the negative posters than it does about the deceased

The old saying even for those with no belief in religion is worthy of note;

"There go I but for the grace of God" or good old luck!

Let's do it.-"Bungee, no strings attached."-My sympathy for his relatives and friends.

Sad is that people here do not have any friends. Then you lose your job, a relationship goes down the hill, and you too old to have # 1 insurance truck gets squeezed.

And then you don't get your ATM card back. The fragging machine ate it. What's left?

Anything is possible.

Meantime the Police in Thailand seldom if ever follow up on such cases unless there is some incentive...as in money incentive....so they will claim it is a suicide and leave it at that.

When they do follow up and finally solve the mystery it is usually because someone was in their face all the time ( say a spouse or family member or relative or good friend etc.) that will not let up on the case until it is resolved.

Or...it was pretty obvious who did what in a number of cases....Such as the wife was plotting with the next door neighbor lover boy and they wanted the insurance money.

Meantime the Thai Police are always quick to claim suicide was the reason for the fall before they even thoroughly check out the most basic of circumstantial evidence at the scene or numerous people attesting to relevant events leading up to the death.

Just because they claim there was no obvious signs of struggle does not mean no one was there in the room and pushed the man over the balcony....for what ever reason.

It would not be all that difficult to suddenly and forcefully upend someone and push them over the balcony if the act was totally unexpected and coming from behind and caught unaware.

Then there would be no signs of struggle...or certainly not obvious left over signs of a struggle to confirm without a doubt the man was murdered.

Cheers

Very true. I recommend everyone to leave in their will - to the Thai police - "if I look like I've committed suicide, please use this 50,000 baht to find out who did it"

Anything is possible.

Cheers

Very true. I recommend everyone to leave in their will - to the Thai police - "if I look like I've committed suicide, please use this 50,000 baht to find out who did it"

They'll receive my hemorrhoids when it's time for me to go.....wink.png

P.S. Reading some posts here really makes me want to commit suicide immediately. But our house doesn't even have a second floor.

Is there anybody where I could rent the apartment for THE jump, please? Only for five minutes, to have enough time to update my farcebook.

I'll pay for it in my next life when I come back as the sexiest woman on this planet with some extremely sexy favors for it.

. Then I'll find a 98 year old millionaire with cancer, who's got only one more year to go. Now, stop making jokes about suicides, life's short enough.

I really don't understand some posters here, others pay for a Bungee jump without strings attached. So where's the problem?

Edited by lostinisaan

Have a nice day.

New to the Thailand ?? cheesy.gif No need to slur the BIB,

they do a nice job themselves. The suicide rate for tourists here,

long or short stay, is nothing short of boggling. As the last thing

the BIB want is the notion that farangs are being killed in

the land of smiles, it seems every death is automatically

reported as a suicide...... Just not buying it. And while each

case can be deliberated, the massive overall numbers cannot.

I have said it before and will say it again. It is the perfect crime.

With every one of these " suicides" , there should be a strong

investigation into who benefited from the farang's death.......

Edited by EyesWideOpen