Roundabouts

overherebc

the rules for roundabouts in thailand are the same as UK....but no-one seems to know. As the traffic engineers can't even mark out an ordinary roundabout it seems unlikely they would manage the Swindon system.....with nothing to follow how would it work?

BTW - how re the zig-zags getting on in Bkk?

the rules for roundabouts in thailand are the same as UK....but no-one seems to know. As the traffic engineers can't even mark out an ordinary roundabout it seems unlikely they would manage the Swindon system.....with nothing to follow how would it work?

They're working well as footsteps guides for drunks getting home at night biggrin.png

Are you sure? In Aus you give way to whoever is first on - no give way to right or to left. Same in UK?

In Thailand you give way to left. Got licence last year and that was the answer in the rules test.

Are you sure? In Aus you give way to whoever is first on - no give way to right or to left. Same in UK?

In Thailand you give way to left. Got licence last year and that was the answer in the rules test.

All 3 countries are DoL

"first On rule actually is the same as give way to traffic from right.

In Thailand on ROUNDABOUTS the rule is give way to the right.

If you think about it and roundabout (or crossroads for that matter) can't work without this rule.

The basic rule of 2 equal roads is you give way to the left....this is like the Euro rule (give way to the right) a recipe for disaster and is overruled by things like main road rules - the fact is it is probably oe of the most dangerous basic rules you can have on a road system and in Europe is almost completely overruled

In my experience.

There is a dashed line before entering roundabouts that indicates that you don't have right of way. Thais don't know this because nobody bothered to tell them. I think all the roundabouts in Buriram are gone / regulated by a system of traffic lights, accidents still happen if I understand the chalk marks on the road that I see. The Thai road safety council restrains itself to spending their budget to telling motorists that penalties will be rigorously enforced every year around the New Year / Song Kran period and doesn't spend a penny on road safety campaigns. (Otherwise known as prevention). And so on.

In my experience.

There is a dashed line before entering roundabouts that indicates that you don't have right of way. Thais don't know this because nobody bothered to tell them. I think all the roundabouts in Buriram are gone / regulated by a system of traffic lights, accidents still happen if I understand the chalk marks on the road that I see. The Thai road safety council restrains itself to spending their budget to telling motorists that penalties will be rigorously enforced every year around the New Year / Song Kran period and doesn't spend a penny on road safety campaigns. (Otherwise known as prevention). And so on.

From what I have experienced the new traffic lights are far more effective than the old roundabouts.

I know that you fully appreciate the chaos that was caused by Thai uncertainty (at the statue) and by traffic just going straight on on the Jira road, ignoring the fact that a roundabout was there.

Whilst it is easy to judge the changes as a backward step, I would like to think that somebody took a very practical step - recognising that most Thais are not ready for the complexities of roundabouts.

Same was true on the Costa del Sol 20 odd years ago when a whole load of roundabouts were installed on the N322 coast road - took a while but the Spanish eventually learned. Not confident that the same would happen here.

In my experience.

I tend to notice this sort of thing and Thai roundabouts are largely unpainted.........when they are the laning is usually incorrect in approach entrance and exit.

The fact is that traffic engineers - if there are in fact any - are just a bunch of amateurs who try to guess where the lines should go.

UK roundabouts have approaching lane markings with a heavy, dashed "give way" line (sometimes double) across the entering lanes. I have never seen this on ANY Thai roundabout.

roundabouts were essentially invented in UK before the motorcar. THey have always been around, Australia had virtually none till the 1980s and America doesn't really use them.....for some reason it is France that has the most these days......a welcome relief from their legendary scenes of carnage "les carrefours"

with larger roads they take up less space than slip road junctions and allow in general a better flow than trafficlights. The low speeds on roundabouts also makes them relatively safe in the case of collisions compared to slip road junctions.

Edited by cumgranosalum

In my experience.

From what I have experienced the new traffic lights are far more effective than the old roundabouts.

I know that you fully appreciate the chaos that was caused by Thai uncertainty (at the statue) and by traffic just going straight on on the Jira road, ignoring the fact that a roundabout was there.

Whilst it is easy to judge the changes as a backward step, I would like to think that somebody took a very practical step - recognising that most Thais are not ready for the complexities of roundabouts.

Same was true on the Costa del Sol 20 odd years ago when a whole load of roundabouts were installed on the N322 coast road - took a while but the Spanish eventually learned. Not confident that the same would happen here.

roundabouts are not "complex"

In my experience.

I tend to notice this sort of thing and Thai roundabouts are largely unpainted.........when they are the laning is usually incorrect in approach entrance and exit.

The fact is that traffic engineers - if there are in fact any - are just a bunch of amateurs who try to guess where the lines should go.

UK roundabouts have approaching lane markings with a heavy, dashed "give way" line (sometimes double) across the entering lanes. I have never seen this on ANY Thai roundabout.

roundabouts were essentially invented in UK before the motorcar. THey have always been around, Australia had virtually none till the 1980s and America doesn't really use them.....for some reason it is France that has the most these days......a welcome relief from their legendary scenes of carnage "les carrefours"

with larger roads they take up less space than slip road junctions and allow in general a better flow than trafficlights. The low speeds on roundabouts also makes them relatively safe in the case of collisions compared to slip road junctions.

I was once upon a time a traffic engineer. We looked upon replacing roundabouts with traffic lights as a defeat. Thai bashing coming up: Supermarket parking spaces aren't even correctly designed. No provision for rain water run off, spaced too small and not anggled towards the direction of traffic, invalid parking spaces roped off until they are occupied by street traders, no places for leaving your triolleys... rant, slobber...

In my experience.

I was once upon a time a traffic engineer. We looked upon replacing roundabouts with traffic lights as a defeat. Thai bashing coming up: Supermarket parking spaces aren't even correctly designed. No provision for rain water run off, spaced too small and not anggled towards the direction of traffic, invalid parking spaces roped off until they are occupied by street traders, no places for leaving your triolleys... rant, slobber...

In Uk they often combine traffic lights and roundabouts these days. Although for a while they lost favour in UK, France has taken them up with zeal.....it seems that they are also regaining popularity in UK these days. Although they have been around in USA since "the beginning" thy have never really caught on and are not part of general US driving culture. This is probably partly due to the relatively large amount of space (real estate) available for roadbuilding in the USA as compared to Europe.

Thailand actually builds very spacious roads.....the country is twice the size of the Uk.....this is not necessarily a good thing as big, poorly designed and engineered roads end up with high speed driving and the concomitant high numbers of fatalities.

I certainly agree that traffic engineering in Thailand seems to be a grossly underdeveloped science as you point out, they can't even design a carpark.......let alone a roundabout

Edited by cumgranosalum

Biggest Plus for traffic circles - they do not stop the flow of traffic. Traffic lights bring everyone to a complete halt. This causes drivers to become impatient, leading to aggressive driving, leading to accidents.

That's the theory - anyone who has driine in UK will know tht you can spend quite some time queuing at roundabouts.

what they also do is slow traffic at junctions to safer speeds so any collisions tend not to be so serious.

For some reason the traffic lights in Thailand seem to have very long gaps between changes...I suspect they are not geared to the amount of traffic and just set up by guesswork.

long waiting times at lights can lead to all sorts of aberrant behaviour by all road users.

Edited by cumgranosalum

People KNOW they just choose to IGNORE

It's the ME FIRST syndrome.

Yes, give way to left except if right is in a more important road. Therefore on roundabouts traffis already on had right if way

In my experience.

roundabouts are not "complex"

They are if you don't know <deleted> to do when you arrive at one !! smile.png

Someone must educate you first.

I agree with above comment about traffic lights - in many cases they are not geared to relative flows of traffic i.e. they are usually green for the same amount of time in each direction. At many sets of lights the 'ahead' and 'right turn' lights are simultaneous thus causing the (heavier) traffic opposite to wait when there are few/no vehicles turning right.

actually that's pretty baseless assumption. I drive extensively myself and also with a lot of Thai drivers..... (I spend several hours a day on the road) and in reality they can e quite courteous and considerate. What is lacking is a universally accepted code for the roads...... at roundabout I notice that many drivers fail to identify them as roundabouts....either because they are poorly marked or they are "too small" and think they are crossroads.

As son as the giveaway rule is ignored by one than the system is destined to fail as you end up with stationary traffic on a roundabout as someone gives way t otraffic from the left - which is correct on ordinary junctions.

In Europe we have had 50 years of government movies and TV telling us how to act on the road - this is still relatively absent from Thai motoring culture. howeer thw more professional drivers we have here the more they take a pride in driving and hone their skills.

Ive said many time tha Thailand's problems one thw roads don't just stem from the drivers and this is an incredibly myopic view of the situation........one of the MAJOR factors is the appalling state of road design and traffic engineering which time and again leaves motorists without a clear indication of what they should be doing.

actually that's pretty baseless assumption. I drive extensively myself and also with a lot of Thai drivers..... (I spend several hours a day on the road) and in reality they can e quite courteous and considerate. What is lacking is a universally accepted code for the roads...... at roundabout I notice that many drivers fail to identify them as roundabouts....either because they are poorly marked or they are "too small" and think they are crossroads.

As son as the giveaway rule is ignored by one than the system is destined to fail as you end up with stationary traffic on a roundabout as someone gives way t otraffic from the left - which is correct on ordinary junctions.

In Europe we have had 50 years of government movies and TV telling us how to act on the road - this is still relatively absent from Thai motoring culture. howeer thw more professional drivers we have here the more they take a pride in driving and hone their skills.

Ive said many time tha Thailand's problems one thw roads don't just stem from the drivers and this is an incredibly myopic view of the situation........one of the MAJOR factors is the appalling state of road design and traffic engineering which time and again leaves motorists without a clear indication of what they should be doing.

Actually it is gained from over 30 years of driving here. It is the way it is. They KNOW they just want to be first and push and shove just as they would do in a supermarket checkout queue. Selfishness rules here.

Actually it is gained from over 30 years of driving here. It is the way it is. They KNOW they just want to be first and push and shove just as they would do in a supermarket checkout queue. Selfishness rules here.

In reality what people do is apply their own rules of driving and when they don't see this is other drivers, they attribute this to familiar (to themselves at least) personality traits, which in turn leads to an incorrect assessment of the situation.

i notice seeral instances where Thai drivers are much more likely to give way than a western driver who will rigidly apply their "home" rules of the road. I also notice that Thai drivrs confronted with such things as snarl-ups are far less irascible than most westerners. There is a DIFFERENCE but you need to be careful how you interpret it.

If you have been driving for thirty years in Thailand and haven't noticed the changes then i'd suggest your 30 years have been spent in a bubble. My vehicle has always been central to my work in Thailand as well as my driving knowledge; I'm currently involved in logistics (especially road transport) and this has given e the opportunity both to observe and converse with many types of divers - from taxi to chauffeur to /LGV and public transport.

i have been driving myself here since the mid 1990s and I have observed huge changes in how people drive and of course WHO is driving - most of the drivers on Thai roads weren't even alive 30 year ago, let alone had a vehicle.

Roads and vehicle ownership have increased exponentially since then.

Edited by cumgranosalum

I can't agree with that - at least at roundabouts (traffic lights are different).

What is more likely, in my experience, is the Thais either giving way (greng jai) or hesitating (ignorance and uncertainty).

That is not Thai bashing, it is recognising that they are bereft of driving instruction/education.

I reiterate my feeling/observations. Thais are not ignorant of driving laws they just choose to ignore them when they think they can get away with it. This includes roundabouts, traffic lights, etc.

The same goes for wearing, or rather not wearing, a motorcycle crash helmet; the number of allowable people on a motorcycle, as well as the permissible load in a truck or pickup.

Ignorance of what is right or wrong is not the reason for all the above.

Actually - I am very sure that the 'official' rule in Thailand is to give way to the left at a roundabout/crossway. Below is the picture of question 28 from the official Thai driving test.

post-231618-0-86492300-1454391517_thumb.

Before anyone says the obvious, the only reason I bothered to find this out was to make sure I knew the actual official rules here - just in case I ever had an accident, so that I would know where I stand. I have a camera system in my car (highly recommended) and full insurance (also recommended). But also knowing the 'rules' makes me feel a little 'safer' about what would happen if I have an accident. Meaning that maybe I would not be arrested and jailed by relative/friend policeman of the other person in other car/bike. And I always try to take my Thai wife with me in the car too - hopefully she would be able to explain things and get me out of the sheeiite.

Having said that - I give way to everyone else at roundabouts that looks like they want to 'come through'. In fact I usually give way to everyone who wants to push it - not always, but usually. The reality here in Thailand is that the 'rules' of driving are very much not known by most drivers/riders, and ignored by most. And the reality of the policing of any accidents here, especially one involving an Expat, is very much a 'hit or miss' affair. Driving as an Expat in Thailand means you may not be treated fairly or equally after an accident - that is just the way it is and there aint no point in complaining about it - just take precautions.

What I have noticed is that many Thai drivers do expect the person on their right to give way at roundabouts, but some also expect the driver on their left to give way - they just do not know. And as we all know, some Thai drivers expect (demand) that all others give way. Unless someone can show me that I am wrong - then I will continue to drive with the understanding that the 'rule'in Thailand is to give way to the left at roundabout/crossroads. But I will not expect everyone else to either know or accept that rule (or any other rules). I also accept that as an Expat I am better off just giving way - and make sure the camera is working now and then.

Like the poster above, I have always found that the majority of Thai drivers are polite and accomodate others - the 'system' works here that way. But unfortunately quite a few Thai drivers (especially hi-so with Police contacts and 4WDs who feel safe) just ignore the 'system' - and many of them with that attitude are just plain dangerous.

My Thai wife has a drivers licence. I could not believe how bad she was and that she did not know any rules - I have been giving her driving lessons for a while now. She was first 'given' it in her local village/amphur many years ago - and the same practice still goes on all over Thailand. Most Thais just do not know the rules - they follow and do what others do - they only way they learn to drive is by driving. That is just the way it is here.

Expats need to be aware and just accept that it is the way it is. Expats should prepare and take precautions. I enjoy this wonderful country when we are driving around (outside of BKK and other big cities).

You're looking at junctions and circles - Junctions as it says priority to the left.

Circles first in which effectively means giveaway to the right.

but ROUNDABOUTS the priority is to the right.....can I find it....can I F****! It's written down somewhere, probably easier in thai

You're looking at junctions and circles - Junctions as it says priority to the left.

but ROUNDABOUTS the priority is to the right.....can I find it....can I F****! It's written down somewhere, probably easier in thai

Sections 71 - 73 of the attached may shed some light.

ThaiDriving.pdf

Thanks guys - the 'official' at the Transport Dept was wrong !! OK - the rule at a roundabout is to give way to the right - and the rule at an interection is to give way to the left (unless a principal roadway is involved). I must say - that is so atypical of Thai rules (inconsistent). And I will continue to be prepared to give way to anyone 'coming through' :)

Sections 71 - 73 of the attached may shed some light.

attachicon.gifThaiDriving.pdf

THat's the bugger! - section 73....

"roundabout is to give way to the right" - which is how its practiced in Norway at least. You give way for traffic already in the roundabout. It doesn't make sense to give way to the left.. at least not for me wink.png

Norway has a gazillion roundabouts. They are usually one or two lane ones, which works fine. I think roundabouts with several lanes doesn't serve its purpose. Especially when they put traffic lights inside. <deleted>?

Edited by mortenaa

"roundabout is to give way to the right" - which is how its practiced in Norway at least. You give way for traffic already in the roundabout. It doesn't make sense to give way to the left.. at least not for me wink.png

Norway has a gazillion roundabouts. They are usually one or two lane ones, which works fine. I think roundabouts with several lanes doesn't serve its purpose. Especially when they put traffic lights inside. <deleted>?

I know the one you mean ... I think. To be perfectly honest the average driver over here has no idea about roundabouts ... sorry but I just do my own thing but try not to upset the others.