Tax Identification Number (for teachers)

ChrisB87

Hello,

So, I have been teaching legally for about a year now. It is time to pay tax soon.

I don't have my TIN and my school has no clue about this.

I expect I should have gotten it last year, as I got my work permit 2 months before the end of the last tax year, but the school said I didn't need to go as there would be no tax to pay since I had only been working 2 months before the end of the tax year. Though, I expect I should have gone to declare those 2 months income anyway. So, I may be in trouble for not doing that?

Basically, I need to know what documents are required to get the TIN card? Do I need any documents from my school or just my own personal ones?

Thanks

Basically, I need to know what documents are required to get the TIN card? Do I need any documents from my school or just my own personal ones?

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/21987.0.html

Thanks,

I found that link, but I couldn't really understand what it asked for, or to which category I belong.

Would I be classed as an individual or body of persons? The body of persons sounds simpler and it would make sense that I belong in that category since I teach at a school.

So, If I am in the body of persons category, that means I need a copy of:

1. passport
  2. school registration book
  3. employment contract

Is that correct?

If I am classed as an individual, that would mean I need a copy of:

1. passport
  2. house registration book (I don't have)
  3. court order?

I got mine in 1998, so take this for whatever it may still be worth. Tax ID is obtainable at your local District Office. To the best of my recollection, no fee payable, and no documents required, except possibly, your passport ID page. It is a permanent number for you, so is not tied to your present job. No guarantee of English-speaking personnel at District Offices, so if you don't speak Thai, go with someone who does. (By "District Office", I mean municipal D. O., not Revenue Dept. D. O., though I am surprised if they are not also available at those.)

• 2 weeks later...

I got mine at the my appropriate revenue office in Chiang Mai. I did it to get back withholdings on my fixed deposits. I was not working at the time. I had a Yellow Book, which has a 13 digit Thai National ID Number for me, but the TIN is different. If nothing was withheld....don't sweat it. But, the school, like the bank needs to provide you with an end of year statement, showing they withheld in your name. Might be best to go over there with a paycheck stub, showing withholdings, get a number, and report that to your school. Your WP, passport/visa., and proof of address should be fine. Perhaps getting a bank account that takes the 15% of interest out for taxes, would be one way of making sure you get one a year from now. It was 1/10th as hard as getting a Yellow Book....and I would recommend doing that , too, if possible. A Thai GF can be most helpful on both matters. I've heard conflicting reports on where to go, but you can't go wrong with the place that collects taxes, processes returns, and issues the checks.....which is the revenue office. Also, be aware that a number of schools take the deductions and pocket them, just assuming you will be gone before you realize it.

The worst part of these processes can be getting sent on wild goose chases...by the time you get to the place you are suppose to be; your patience are running short, and then it is the wrong time to let them know how you feel. One side of the street can make a difference on where you need to go.....

• 1 month later...

When I got mine, I had to have my original passport and original work permit. They asked if I had a contract, to which I said yes, but they didn't ask to see it, nor was a copy made.

The clerk did all the paperwork and I just signed the small card that had my name, work address (from the work permit) and my new tax number.

No fees were paid or asked for. In and out in about :20 or less.

IMHO, the revenue office is one of the easier national level offices to work or interact with in my experience as a foreigner in the Kingdom.

OP, the school lied to you when they said that you wouldn't have to do your tax declaration.

Even if you don't have to pay any taxes, you have to file your annual tax. The school must provide a letter with employment details and the amount of money they paid you in form of a salary from xxx to yyyyy.

Once you've got this letter, you're good to go to the tax department. They'll help you to fill out the form, no problem.

The female employees might ask you if you're single, if not if you've got a single friend.

Male employees seem to try their luck finding a foreign wife as well. There're several items that help you not to pay any taxes. Examples:

1. Married to a Thai national. 2. Helping her parents financially. 3. The amount you paid into the SS. 4 Children you pay for. wai2.gif

OP, the school lied to you when they said that you wouldn't have to do your tax declaration.

Even if you don't have to pay any taxes, you have to file your annual tax. The school must provide a letter with employment details and the amount of money they paid you in form of a salary from xxx to yyyyy.

Once you've got this letter, you're good to go to the tax department. They'll help you to fill out the form, no problem.

The female employees might ask you if you're single, if not if you've got a single friend.

Male employees seem to try their luck finding a foreign wife as well. There're several items that help you not to pay any taxes. Examples:

1. Married to a Thai national. 2. Helping her parents financially. 3. The amount you paid into the SS. 4 Children you pay for. wai2.gif

1. yes 30k allowance

2. NOPE, (30,000 baht for each of taxpayer’s and spouse’s parents if such parent is above 60 years old and earns less than 30,000 baht)

3. Yes, 750 max allowance

4. NOPE, (must be your children legally)

Child allowance (child under 25 years of age and studying at educational institution, or a minor, or an adjusted incompetent or quasi-incompetent person) 15,000 baht each

(limited to three children) Education (additional allowance for child studying in educational institution in Thailand) 2,000 baht each child

1. yes 30k allowance

2. NOPE, (30,000 baht for each of taxpayer’s and spouse’s parents if such parent is above 60 years old and earns less than 30,000 baht)

3. Yes, 750 max allowance

4. NOPE, (must be your children legally)

Child allowance (child under 25 years of age and studying at educational institution, or a minor, or an adjusted incompetent or quasi-incompetent person) 15,000 baht each

(limited to three children) Education (additional allowance for child studying in educational institution in Thailand) 2,000 baht each child

4. YEP, if you adopt your spouse's kid(s).

Archived