What is the process for getting a new U.S. Passport?

I have used the card at hotels and banks without problems. I don't think I would rely on it for a police check. I carry a copy of my passport front page, visa extension, and current 90 day report receipt. That along with the passport card, and Thai driver license should establish my legality (I hope). I refuse to carry my passport book around unless absolutely necessary, like visits to Immigration, Consulate, etc.

In Pattaya and Bangkok, I'm sure it's stricter than where I am. And of course, like all things in Thailand, you can never be sure of anything.

The passport card doesn't match your booklet passport. It's got a variety of serial numbers on it, none of which links to your booklet passport. Nonetheless, it's not too expensive, and having a second official US Government ID at hand in case your booklet passport goes astray or gets damaged seems a good idea.

It's got a notice on the reverse to the effect it's only good for land and sea border crossings, but in fact it can be used for other purposes, such as boarding domestic flights in the US, since it's a Federal ID.

Edited by taxout

And that is all old news about one component of passport - the passport is made in USA - the data holding microchip was made along with most such high tech chips at start of the art facilities at a factory in Thailand at some point.

Prime security concerns have always been storage and control of completed passports at hundreds of locations around the world. That is not done anymore.

• 1 month later...

The wife picked up her renewed U.S. passport today...7 days from application to receipt of email saying it was ready for pickup...went and picked it up the following day. She applied at the Bangkok embassy. A few years ago when I renewed my U.S. passport book at the Bangkok embassy it took 8 days to get the new passport book.

During that application the wife also applied for a passport card. You just check the application block saying your want a card also and pay an additional $30 on top of the $110 for the passport book....$140 total. And I also applied for a passport card although my passport book is still good for another 7 years or so....you apply just like for a passport book but just check the passport card block...$30 fee as already mentioned.

The embassy folks said it takes approx 1 month to get the card, possibly up to two months, since the passport cards are made at a different place than the passport books. Hopefully it will take less than a month. We plan to use the passport card as another form of government ID like when needing to renewing our U.S./Hawaii drivers licenses by mail instead of mailing in a more valuable original document such as your passport book or having to pay $50 or so for a embassy certified/notarized copy. We have to mail in two forms of ID to renew the drivers license...now we'll just mail in the passport card and our military retiree/dependent cards which won't be missed for a short time and can be replaced much more easily/quickly/cheaply than say a lost in the mail passport book.

Getting more common now days in needing to provide two forms of ID in applying for some things....passport card can also take the place of the passport book for travel between the U.S./Canada/Mexico/Bermuda/the Caribbean...and even Texas. tongue.png See snapshot below for example of a passport card.

Will also carry the passport card along with a copy of my retirement extension of stay page from my passport book...better than carrying your passbook around (not that I do)...but it may come in handy if stopped by the Thai police someday who just gotta see my passport vs a paper copy---hopefully the official U.S. govt passport card will make them happy. I figure it's well worth it since the card is good for 10 years / until expiration of your passport book.

post-55970-0-94314700-1458820952_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

"I figure it's well worth it since the card is good for 10 years / until expiration of your passport book."

The passport card and book dates are not the same unless you get them at the same time.

Even then they might differ because they are done at different locations. Not sure what date they use - the date you applied for them or the date they are actually processed.

"I figure it's well worth it since the card is good for 10 years / until expiration of your passport book."

The passport card and book dates are not the same unless you get them at the same time.

Even then they might differ because they are done at different locations. Not sure what date they use - the date you applied for them or the date they are actually processed.

Understand....but my prime want for the card is for another official U.S. Govt ID since in some cases at least two govt IDs are needed to renew certain things like driver's licenses in some states....plus the passport card with a copy of your passport main page and extension page should satisfy any Thai policeman if they even check me...beats carrying your passport around.

• 3 weeks later...

The wife picked up her renewed U.S. passport today...7 days from application to receipt of email saying it was ready for pickup...went and picked it up the following day. She applied at the Bangkok embassy. A few years ago when I renewed my U.S. passport book at the Bangkok embassy it took 8 days to get the new passport book.

During that application the wife also applied for a passport card. You just check the application block saying your want a card also and pay an additional $30 on top of the $110 for the passport book....$140 total. And I also applied for a passport card although my passport book is still good for another 7 years or so....you apply just like for a passport book but just check the passport card block...$30 fee as already mentioned.

The embassy folks said it takes approx 1 month to get the card, possibly up to two months, since the passport cards are made at a different place than the passport books. Hopefully it will take less than a month. We plan to use the passport card as another form of government ID like when needing to renewing our U.S./Hawaii drivers licenses by mail instead of mailing in a more valuable original document such as your passport book or having to pay $50 or so for a embassy certified/notarized copy. We have to mail in two forms of ID to renew the drivers license...now we'll just mail in the passport card and our military retiree/dependent cards which won't be missed for a short time and can be replaced much more easily/quickly/cheaply than say a lost in the mail passport book.

Getting more common now days in needing to provide two forms of ID in applying for some things....passport card can also take the place of the passport book for travel between the U.S./Canada/Mexico/Bermuda/the Caribbean...and even Texas. tongue.png See snapshot below for example of a passport card.

Will also carry the passport card along with a copy of my retirement extension of stay page from my passport book...better than carrying your passbook around (not that I do)...but it may come in handy if stopped by the Thai police someday who just gotta see my passport vs a paper copy---hopefully the official U.S. govt passport card will make them happy. I figure it's well worth it since the card is good for 10 years / until expiration of your passport book.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Update on the passport cards the wife and I applied for on 16 Mar 16 at the U.S. Bangkok Embassy; we both just got email notification they are ready for pickup which means it took 37 days. Before the embassy personnel said it would take "about one month, possibly up to two months" so they were correct in their estimate. They said the passport card is made by a different organization/location than the passport.

The wife applied for her passport card while also applying for a new/renewed passport which only took 7 days to get. I applied for a passport card only as my passport is still good for many more years. So, it does not seem to make a difference "speed-wise" in getting the card based on whether you apply for it at the same time as getting a renewed/new passport or applying for the passport card only.

One final update....picked up the passport cards today (i.e., mine and the wife's). Each one is good for a 10 year period. The wife had applied for her passport card when renewing her passport. As clearly stated on the documentation the card includes a RFID chip/sensitive electronics. However, as stated in the accompanying docs, the chip does not included any personal info, just a pointer to stored records contained within secure govt databases.

I applied for a passport card only as my passport was still good for another 7 years or so, but as mentioned the passport card has an expiration date 10 years out. So, if you want a passport card but was concerned its expiration would be linked to the expiration of your passport book like if the passport book was expiring in only a few years then don't worry---the card will still come with a expiration 10 years from date of card issue. And as already mentioned the passport card number is completely different from your passport book number--consider them two separate documents.

So, the wife and I are now good-to-go in having another official U.S. govt ID since in so many cases now days it's becoming more common to need to produce two forms of accepted federal/state govt ID such as a passport, state driver's license, passport card, military ID, etc., in order to renew/obtain certain documents like renewing your state drivers license by mail in many states....or when opening certain new financial accounts. The passport card is also good for international land and sea travel (not air travel) between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Might even come in handy if a Thai policeman stops you and wants to see your passbook book but you don't have it...the passport card may be enough satisfy him.

• 2 weeks later...

I just did it last week. Make an appointment at the US Embassy and go there with a photo and completed application you can get on the Embassy sight download.

The have $120 US for the passport.

They say it takes 2 weeks but I had it back in 9 days so I guess an allotment fort delays.

Anyways its very simple I will then transfer my visa over to the new book at Thai Immigration

-------------------------------------------------

i applied for my new passport om 26 May 2015 zt the embassy in Bangkok......and it the new passport was ready for pickup at the same place on 5 June 2015.....tem days processsing time

Actualy only 9 days if you condider the 12 houts time difference beween Bangkok and Washington D.C.

According to what is says in my new passport the "Place of issue" is Massachusetts U.S.A.

I just did it last week. Make an appointment at the US Embassy and go there with a photo and completed application you can get on the Embassy sight download.

The have $120 US for the passport.

They say it takes 2 weeks but I had it back in 9 days so I guess an allotment fort delays.

Anyways its very simple I will then transfer my visa over to the new book at Thai Immigration

-------------------------------------------------

i applied for my new passport om 26 May 2015 zt the embassy in Bangkok......and it the new passport was ready for pickup at the same place on 5 June 2015.....tem days processsing time

Actualy only 9 days if you condider the 12 houts time difference beween Bangkok and Washington D.C.

According to what is says in my new passport the "Place of issue" is Massachusetts U.S.A.

The "Authority" for the three USA passports I have had:

1) issued 19 May 1992, applied for in USA - Passport Agency Seattle

2) issued 04 Jun 2001, applied for in USA - National Passport Center

3) issued 23 Dec 2010, applied for at US Embassy in Bangkok - United States Department of State

Will also carry the passport card along with a copy of my retirement extension of stay page from my passport book...better than carrying your passbook around (not that I do)...but it may come in handy if stopped by the Thai police someday who just gotta see my passport vs a paper copy--

Why not just carry a Thai Drivers License?

Will also carry the passport card along with a copy of my retirement extension of stay page from my passport book...better than carrying your passbook around (not that I do)...but it may come in handy if stopped by the Thai police someday who just gotta see my passport vs a paper copy--

I do...two of them...for car and motorcycle. All a drivers license means is you have a Thai drivers license...doesn't help when the police are asking for a passport.

I do...two of them...for car and motorcycle. All a drivers license means is you have a Thai drivers license...doesn't help when the police are asking for a passport.

I've never been asked for my passport by the BIB and have been here >35 years. smile.png

I carry a copy of my Yellow Book in the glove compartment and only have had to use that when entering a National Park some years back for the Thai fee,

Edited by Boon Mee