What is the process for getting a new U.S. Passport?

My passport is up February 2017 and I thought I would inquire early about the whole process of getting a new one without going back to the States.

I understand that there is a U.S. Embassy here so I think I would have to visit that place? Also, someone told me that it's best to apply for one six months in advance. Is this true?

Yes and yes.

But you apply at the US Consulate - which in the case of Bangkok is located across the street from the current Embassy. You make application for appointment on-line at there web site and fill our form and supply photos and pay the fee and collect about 10 days later. Simple as long as you do not have outstanding child support issues.

As passport is often not accepted for use by foreign countries with less than six month validity best to obtain early.

Are you here on a marriage or retirement visa? If so, let us know the date you have to renew.

I'm headed to Bangkok tomorrow to get a new passport. My retirement visa expires on March 9th. I'll put the new visa in the new passport. Per their website, it takes 2 weeks to get a new passport.

I just did it last week. Make an appointment at the US Embassy and go there with a photo and completed application you can get on the Embassy sight download.

The have $120 US for the passport.

They say it takes 2 weeks but I had it back in 9 days so I guess an allotment fort delays.

Anyways its very simple I will then transfer my visa over to the new book at Thai Immigration

There is also a US Consulate in Chang Mai. Also you can apply through the US Consulate Outreach Program that visits several cities about once every three months. Look on The Embassy website for the dates and places under Citizen Services. They take your application your fee and your passport and will send your new one back to you by EMS mail for a small extra fee. The easiest way for me down here in Phuket.

Yes and yes.

But you apply at the US Consulate - which in the case of Bangkok is located across the street from the current Embassy. You make application for appointment on-line at there web site and fill our form and supply photos and pay the fee and collect about 10 days later. Simple as long as you do not have outstanding child support issues.

As passport is often not accepted for use by foreign countries with less than six month validity best to obtain early.

It is my understanding that you can have your new passport sent to your home address rather than going back to the embassy in Bangkok to collect it , however do not take my word for it as it is only hear say !

I just applied last week in Chiang Mai. I was told very clearly, I must pick up the new passport in person. No EMS or courier service. You can have a friend pick it up with a letter of authorization. They must also have ID and your old passport with them.

Also, the fee is $110 for the passport, and $30 more if you want the passport card.

Absolutely fill out the application online, print it, and make appointment online.

Edited by curtklay

If you use one of the outreach visits you don't need an appointment.

My last one was done in KKC and was returned to me by mail a week or so later.

If done at an Outreach, they'll keep the old one and return it with the new one. At least if you are getting the new one back in the mail.

They give you the old passport back with holes punched in it. IF you have any visas that had a high retroprosity fee, keep the old passport for re-entry. There is an outreach gathering at the Dusit Hotel on February 5th at the North Road roundabout in Pattaya. Register at the Embassy to receive notices of outreach meetings in you area.

Edited by Timebandit

Yes and yes.

If one had child support issues, they would be able to get a visa in the first place. If they already had a visa prior, it would be either confiscated or voided.

I just applied last week in Chiang Mai. I was told very clearly, I must pick up the new passport in person. No EMS or courier service. You can have a friend pick it up with a letter of authorization. They must also have ID and your old passport with them.

Also, the fee is $110 for the passport, and $30 more if you want the passport card.

Absolutely fill out the application online, print it, and make appointment online.

What is a passport card?

Yes and yes.

If one had child support issues, they would be able to get a visa in the first place. If they already had a visa prior, it would be either confiscated or voided.

We are not talking about visas - child support warrants are now a cause to not issue new passports and this is checked. This has only been the case for last several years.

What is a passport card?

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Yes and yes.

We are not talking about visas - child support warrants are now a cause to not issue new passports and this is checked. This has only been the case for last several years.
Sorry, I meant to say passport not visa.

It is much faster here in Thailand than it is in the states..

Go online and download the form and follow the directions and make an appointment at the US Embassy.

I got mine in January of 2015 and it was ready in less than a week. (They make the passports here in Thailand)

They might not contact you when it is ready, so you can just go pick it up at the embassy about ten days after you file.

One interesting thing is that the beginning date on the passport is the date that you submit the forms at the Embassy.

What is a passport card?

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

The passport card is convenient to carry, and can be used as acceptable ID at hotels, etc.

Go online and download the form and follow the directions and make an appointment at the US Embassy.

I got mine in January of 2015 and it was ready in less than a week. (They make the passports here in Thailand)

They might not contact you when it is ready, so you can just go pick it up at the embassy about ten days after you file.

One interesting thing is that the beginning date on the passport is the date that you submit the forms at the Embassy.

US passports have been made to order from USA for many years due to security concerns - only emergency travel document types are held locally. They previously were marked as issued by the office providing, such as US Embassy, Bangkok, Thailand or Passport Agency, Miami but are now marked as United States Department of State.

Yes and yes.

As of January 1st, you can add to that anyone who owes the IRS >$50,000.

US passports have been made to order from USA for many years due to security concerns - only emergency travel document types are held locally. They previously were marked as issued by the office providing, such as US Embassy, Bangkok, Thailand or Passport Agency, Miami but are now marked as United States Department of State.

My first passport, obtained in USA in 1992, Authority = Passport Agency Seattle

The next passport, obtained in USA in 2001, Authority = National Passport Center

My current passport, obtained in Thailand in 2010, Authority = United States Department of State

bangkapi is correct in that obtaining a passport here is faster than in USA...he is incorrect in stating that the passports are made in Thailand.

Just left the embassy. If you fill out the forms electronically, the passport is printed the next day in the US. Here in about 2 weeks. EMS to your home takes up to another week. Emergency passports can be done here. They only have 4 pages and are printed on a color printer here.

Photos are easy there. 150 Baht. 80 Baht for EMS with tracking. If mailed, they keep your old passport and mail both back. Place was very quiet. But an easy process.

whistling.gif I got a new passport in June 2015.

I applied on May 26th and picked up my new passport on 5 June at the embassy in Bangkok.

My passport says it was issued in Massachusetts.....but that is not true.

The reason they supposedly send your passport back to the U.S. (which was never done with mine as I had possession of it while it was supposedly back in the U.S.) is to do a records check for security purposes.

whistling.gif I got a new passport in June 2015.

I applied on May 26th and picked up my new passport on 5 June at the embassy in Bangkok.

My passport says it was issued in Massachusetts.....but that is not true.

The reason they supposedly send your passport back to the U.S. (which was never done with mine as I had possession of it while it was supposedly back in the U.S.) is to do a records check for security purposes.

It is not about your passport "getting sent back to USA"...there is no need for the physical document to go to USA to do a records check.

Passports are created in USA and sent out to the Embassy/Consulate where it is requested.

Interesting to note:

Bangkok does offer mail back service, while Chiang Mai does not. After looking at both websites, BKK has a post office on the premises, and a special EMS envelope you buy. That's pretty convenient, but you must leave your old passport there, which is cancelled and mailed back to you with the new one. So I guess you are without a passport until the new one arrives. Chiang Mai gives it back to you when you apply, and cancels it when you pick up the new one. Also in CM, you must submit your own photo.

And yes, the passports are made in the USA, but your old passport is not sent there.

Edited by curtklay

What is the passport card?