Thaksin And His Family Own Assets About Bt12.7 Billion

Jai Dee

With EXTREME appreciation to Khun Nattakorn of Channel 11 News who compiled and sent the list to me.... :o

He said last night on TV that he'd email the list he re-compiled to anyone who requested it. He was pretty funny last night, basically calling out a number of people, by name, on the list, as having much, much more than they had so far disclosed. While I appreciated humor, candor and openness, it did strike me as a bit unprofessional, for a broadcaster.

The amounts on these lists are not very important. No one was ever prosecuted for having too much or too little. What they CAN get in trouble for, is concealing some assets. That's what they prosecuted Thaksin for in 2001 - he bragged on TV (not this TV, the real TV) about buying Alpine Golf Course from Snoh but it wasn't listed among his assets.

Corruption cases against former cabinet members will continue independently of these declarations. They might double check the ownership of related assets, and that's about it.

Corruption cases against former cabinet members will continue independently of these declarations. They might double check the ownership of related assets, and that's about it.

Still the benefit of the doubt.

But, one month after the coup... well... the total of the hunt is almost zero. For the moment.

I know that we are impatient, that everything takes time to sort out. But still, we don't have a lot of tasty feedback and swift actions (beside the highly comical booze drama).

I mean one the hottest files, because already documented and that implicates another country (USA) who conducted its own inquiry, is the CTX (scanners) procurement scandal... Just to remind you that Thakin's government refused to publish the whole US report...

They should go on that one like a rat on a cake. Is it complicated to publish one report ?

I feel that everything is going to be buried, deep, deep, under a lack of will (thai way) and under the kafka style of the administration.

They just sorted out their duties not more than two weeks ago - there were two panels originally and they disagreed on what cases to investigate first, and last week Auditor General's Office was barricading itself and beefing up security - they never clrearly said why, but apparently some sensitive materials have been stolen.

I don't know how much time it takes to prepare legally strong cases ready to forward to courts, and that's after investigations are comlete. We should start worrying if there's no progress after a month or so.

>>>>>>>

Khun Nattakon of Channel 11 is certanly not your ordinary news presenter, but I like his approach better than assorted Bunnags there.

Khun Nattakon of Channel 11 is certanly not your ordinary news presenter, but I like his approach better than assorted Bunnags there.

Jay et al are there for the comedic value they provide for the show... :D

He's no doubt related to the other influential Bunnag's of Thailand, but he doesn't share the same journalistic abilities as the Bunnag who writes for The Nation. In terms of intelligence, he's likely the missing link in the family tree... :o

Speaking of disappearing evidence, I haven't heard any further regarding the Police general who absconded with ALL the files related to the psycho-drama that was Thaksin's assasination attempt. He left HQ in a van with ALL the evidence just hours ahead of the Army taking over HQ the day of the coup.

With EXTREME appreciation to Khun Nattakorn of Channel 11 News who compiled and sent the list to me.... :o

He said last night on TV that he'd email the list he re-compiled to anyone who requested it. He was pretty funny last night, basically calling out a number of people, by name, on the list, as having much, much more than they had so far disclosed. While I appreciated humor, candor and openness, it did strike me as a bit unprofessional, for a broadcaster.

After all the gagging and dirty tricks TRT and it's 1000 baht note smelling zombies pulled on the media in the past years, I don't blame Khun Nattakorn or any other media people for biting back.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Report: Of ousted cabinet's assets of B24 billion, land accounts for 40%

Land owned by former cabinet members in the ousted Thaksin government accounts for almost 40% of their total assets worth 24 billion baht, according to a report released yesterday by the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC). Among property declared is a piece purchased from the Bank of Thailand's Financial Institutions Development Fund by Khunying Potjaman, Mr Thaksin's wife, that is being investigated by the assets scrutiny committee. While Mr Thaksin declared three pieces of property worth 1.1 million baht, Khunying Potjaman reported 122 plots, bought for 1.9 billion baht and with a current value of almost two billion baht. In 2001, she declared possession of only 108 plots worth 388 million baht. *very tidy profit rise in the value of her property. How much of that huge gain was from property speculating from insider knowledge?* The wealthiest landowners are former foreign affairs minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon and his wife, who declared property worth 2.9 billion baht. Another big landowner is Newin Chidchob, former minister attached to the Prime Minister's Office, and his wife. They own land plots worth 804 million baht. Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, former agriculture and cooperatives minister, owns land worth 783 million baht.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/15Nov2006_news04.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of no great surprise is that some of the biggest gainers in their assets were the most vocal defenders of his corrupt policies. It's the same message he sent voters: "If you're with me, I'll take care of you very well. If you're not, I won't do squat." ... or words to that effect.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE... And now for a closer look at his papers:

Panel set up to verify Thaksin's assets report

The national anti-graft agency set up a sub-committee yesterday to verify the financial reports submitted by deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) chairman Panthep Klanarongran said the sub-committee had to determine whether the assets and liabilities in Thaksin's financial statements were correctly reported.

He said Klanarong Chantik would head the sub-panel.

Panthep said the panel would also investigate Thaksin's sale of Shin Corp shares to Ample Rich Investment, the company he registered in the British Virgin Islands.

"The sub-committee will determine if there was a real sale," Panthep said.

Thaksin claimed he had sold his shares held by Ample Rich to his children before he entered politics more than five years ago.

Earlier, the People's Network against Corruption secretary-general Veera Somkwamkid and Democrat executive Korbsak Sabhavasu, handed in an appeal asking the NCCC to thoroughly examine the ex-premier's financial reports filed with the agency.

Klanarong said yesterday his panel was likely to investigate whether Ample Rich was owned by Thaksin and to verify who owned the shares in that company.

"If he [Thaksin] didn't report this asset, we will determine if he intended to hide it or not," he said.

However, the panel will not probe the sale of Shin Corp shares to Temasek Holding because it is unrelated to the assets case, he said.

- The Nation

NCCC sets up panel to probe Thaksin's tie with Ample Rich

The National Counter Corruption Commission Thursday set up a panel to investigate the sale of Shin Corp's shares to Ample Rich by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

NCCC Chairman Parnthep Klanarongran said the sub-committee probing the Ample Rich case will be headed by Klanarong Chanthik.

Source: The Nation - 1 December 2006

NCCC panel probes Thaksin assets report

BANGKOK, Dec 1 - Thailand's National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) Thursday set up a panel to verify the financial statements submitted by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

NCCC Chairman Parnthep Klanarongran said the sub-committee, headed by NCCC member Klanarong Chanthik, will determine whether the assets and liabilities in Mr Thaksin's financial statements were correctly reported.

Mr Parnthep said that the panel will also investigate Mr Thaksin's sale of Shin Corp's shares to Ample Rich Investments Ltd which he had registered in the British Virgin Islands, a tax haven. This is the authorities' latest attempt to nail the deposed leader through a formal corruption investigation.

The decision followed a meeting of the NCCC on Thursday at which it considered complaints from political activist Weera Somkwamkid of the People's Network Against Corruption and Democrat executive Kobsak Sabhavasu who asked the NCCC to probe if there was a real sale.

The off-shore investment arm was alleged to front the purchase to allow Mr. Thaksin to conceal his assets. On June 11, 1999, Mr Thaksin sold half of his holdings in Shin Corp, or 32.92 million shares (11.87 per cent), to Ample Rich Investments Ltd, which he wholly owned.

Mr Klanarong said that the panel would look into the ownership of the shares sold to Ample Rich and determine whether Mr Thaksin intended to hide or incorrectly reported any gains. However, the panel will not probe the sale of Shin Corp shares to Temasek Holding because it is unrelated to the assets case, he said.

- MCOT

The amounts on these lists are not very important. No one was ever prosecuted for having too much or too little. What they CAN get in trouble for, is concealing some assets. That's what they prosecuted Thaksin for in 2001 - he bragged on TV (not this TV, the real TV) about buying Alpine Golf Course from Snoh but it wasn't listed among his assets.

I agree and that's why very little can be read into these declarations without knowing the source of wealth.It's interesting that the recently published details of assets belonging to the current cabinet show startlingly large amounts, though obviously small by the standards of Thaksin and some of his cronies.As somebody pointed out in a letter to the Nation today how does a lifetime government servant, whether official or military, on a maximum salary of Bt 90,000 pm accumulate assets of Bt 100m or in some cases vastly higher.

Obviously in some cases wealth is inherited (and where did that originate?) but clearly not in all.I'm not really having a dig at the current government except perhaps for its hypocrisy but rather commenting on the enrichment process of the Bangkok power elite which is so longstanding that its stench is hardly noticed.And yet these are the first people to scream with outrage at any suggestion the rural poor should have a more equitable share of the nation's resources.

I forgot to ask whether the inquiry into former cabinet members will be expanded to cover the assets of the present cabinet in view of the "unusual wealth" in some cases.It might also be useful to know precisely how low paid officials/military officers acquired a level of assets that would be impossible to obtain by savings.Stringent I know but the present government prides itself on being cleaner than clean.

Don't hold your breath.

I forgot to ask whether the inquiry into former cabinet members will be expanded to cover the assets of the present cabinet in view of the "unusual wealth" in some cases.It might also be useful to know precisely how low paid officials/military officers acquired a level of assets that would be impossible to obtain by savings.Stringent I know but the present government prides itself on being cleaner than clean.

Don't hold your breath.

I understand your point but I think that the remit of the inquiry is to compare financial statements made before and after being a minister. During this period there are/were quite stringent rules on what a minister could do in terms of remunerated work, so it becomes easier to find strange income. Obviously the same should happen with the current government when they leave office. They have already made their entering office statements that set the benchmark.

• 2 weeks later...
profitmaker.jpg

Laughing all the way to the bank

Former Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit, who has been accused of corruption concerning the procurement of CTX-9000 bomb scanners for the new Suvarnabhumi Airport.

UPDATE

Former DSI chief summoned to testify over CTX9000 scandal

The Assets Examination Committee Tuesday summoned Pol Col Sombat Amornwiwat, former director of the Department of Special Investigation, to testify related to the on-going probe into the CTX 9000 bomb scanner project.

Amnuay Thanthara, an AEC member, said Sombat was summoned to testify because the DSI provided less information to the AEC when compared with information obtained from Worapoj Yossathat, managing director of Patriot Business Consultancy Co Ltd.

Amnual said Sombat was called to testify on Wednesday when he would be asked if the DSI had thoroughly interrogated Worapoj.

The Nation

my10wn1.jpg

It was quite a sight to see Suriya getting drilled with CTX related questions from Abhisit last year, obviously in distress, clueless on how to answer to his questions or simply changing the subject. He'd better bring some cooling towels and wear a diaper when his turn comes to to testify in front of the AEC. No one to whisper answers to you and no notes allowed this time.