Learn: Food and Health

singa-traz

Free course available on Coursera (no certificate), on food and health.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/food-and-health

About this Course

Around the world, we find ourselves facing global epidemics of obesity, Type 2 Diabetes and other predominantly diet-related diseases. To address these public health crises, we urgently need to explore innovative strategies for promoting healthful eating. There is strong evidence that global increases in the consumption of heavily processed foods, coupled with cultural shifts away from the preparation of food in the home, have contributed to high rates of preventable, chronic disease. In this course, learners will be given the information and practical skills they need to begin optimizing the way they eat. This course will shift the focus away from reductionist discussions about nutrients and move, instead, towards practical discussions about real food and the environment in which we consume it. By the end of this course, learners should have the tools they need to distinguish between foods that will support their health and those that threaten it. In addition, we will present a compelling rationale for a return to simple home cooking, an integral part of our efforts to live longer, healthier lives.

View the trailer for the course here:

Fail video.

Showing healthy pasta biggrin.png

So far no real proof that wholewheat carbs are bad.. only tinfoil had people believe so.

Of course!

They are not bad.

The amounts of them are bad.

Again.. how much would you consider bad (and yes even good carbs get bad if the amount is too high)

Fail video.

Showing healthy pasta biggrin.png

So far no real proof that wholewheat carbs are bad.. only tinfoil had people believe so.

Of course!

They are not bad.

The amounts of them are bad.

Again.. how much would you consider bad (and yes even good carbs get bad if the amount is too high)

We talked about that before.

It looks like your memory is not that long :)

It depends on your lifestyle if you exercise or not - your glycogen storage. If you exercise and spend your glycogen energy regularly then you can eat a lot. More muscles you have more you can store. Average man can store about 1200 calories.(There's also extra storage in a liver for another 600 only used in "extreme" conditions).

Now if you don't exercise. And if you are fat it is the case. Then it is absolutely unhealthy for you. Even small amounts will trigger rise in insulin which will force that glucose to your fat cells (and not glycogen storage) and sometimes it happens so fat that almost all of it will be placed in fat. You ate but still hungry(your cells didn't get any of that glucose).

What is that small amount? Half of the toast is already too much.

And there's no need to call me names or imply an insult because of your lack of information.

If the person is fat he has insulin problems, insulin is the hormone that is responsible for storing the fat.

Glucose is raising insulin and making the person fat.

Wholewheat is a glucose. You can debate that it takes 3 hours to digest it. But in the end it will raise your insulin immediately or in 3 hours.

Pasta is made out of grains.

Video is targeted for people who wants to lose weight.

Video is a fail.

Logic is clear.

A diet is just that, a diet. Whether it's low carb, high fat or high carb, low fat or something in between. Whichever way an individual chooses to go it really should be for a lifetime and that's where the big fail for the majority of people rears it's ugly head. I watched the video, but didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. That doesn't mean I'm on a totally healthy diet, but at least a way of eating I can live with. Try for the most part to find the foods that you think may be healthy and also you can eat on a continual basis. That way you may actually succeed. If I had to listen all the time to the quacks out there on the internet who keep repeating their gospel that this or that food is no good for you, I wouldn't be able to eat anything.

It looks like your memory is not that long smile.png

It depends on your lifestyle if you exercise or not - your glycogen storage. If you exercise and spend your glycogen energy regularly then you can eat a lot. More muscles you have more you can store. Average man can store about 1200 calories.(There's also extra storage in a liver for another 600 only used in "extreme" conditions).

Now if you don't exercise. And if you are fat it is the case. Then it is absolutely unhealthy for you. Even small amounts will trigger rise in insulin which will force that glucose to your fat cells (and not glycogen storage) and sometimes it happens so fat that almost all of it will be placed in fat. You ate but still hungry(your cells didn't get any of that glucose).

And there's no need to call me names or imply an insult because of your lack of information.

If the person is fat he has insulin problems, insulin is the hormone that is responsible for storing the fat.

Wholewheat is a glucose. You can debate that it takes 3 hours to digest it. But in the end it will raise your insulin immediately or in 3 hours.

Video is a fail.

Logic is clear.

Your information is unproven not supported by science so I can call you a quack.

In reality we need carbs (or at least function good with it). I agree that people with insulin resistance should eat less carbs. But half a toast.. that is crazy.

We had the discussion before and you can't come up with scientific studies, and i read the books about carbs where they demonize them. Some nice examples that look real convincing till you start to use your brain. Like one of native Americans not exposed to carbs and then get corn and grow fat. That is not proof, because I can give you an example of the people in Tonga that got fat by eating more meat and fats. (plus correlation is not automatically causation people who studied statistics know this)

Thing is people who don't have a long background in health and foods often fall for those quack books, I read them to too to know what I am talking about. Sure it sounds nice.. but no real scientific studies backing it.

If you can come up with a study where non insulin resistant people (not all fat people are insulin sensitive), gaining rapid extra weight by eating half a toast i will take my words back. (of course it does not have to be half a toast but the amount of carbs in half a toast)

Below some research showing.. its not carbs alone but fats too that promote insulin resistance.. now if you cut out carbs like you want too.. your left with either proteins or fats.. here it shows that over 35% fat would get insulin resistance. Now that would mean 60% or more proteins.. good luck

Some research suggests that a diet high in total, trans, and saturated fat may promote insulin resistance.24-26 Studies also indicate that replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fat may improve insulin sensitivity, but only if total fat intake also is controlled.25

According to a recent review by Risérus and colleagues of literature examining the role of different types of fat on insulin resistance, studies comparing insulin sensitivity and fatty acid composition in skeletal muscle (a reflection of the fatty acid composition of the diet) have found a direct, positive relationship between the proportion of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and insulin sensitivity.26 In addition, evidence suggests the more saturated fatty acids in the muscle cell membrane, the more insulin-resistant the individual.24

In the KANWU study, a three-month controlled, parallel, multicenter study performed at five different centers: Kuopio, Finland; Aarhus, Denmark; Naples, Italy; Wollongong, Australia; and Uppsala, Sweden, 162 subjects from these countries received isocaloric diets that differed only in fat quality, not quantity.25 Researchers found that insulin sensitivity was impaired in individuals on the higher saturated fat diet and improved in those on the higher monounsaturated fat diet. However, substituting monounsaturated fat for saturated fat improved insulin sensitivity only if total fat intake remained at no more than 37% of calories. The authors concluded that the type of fat in the diet impacted insulin resistance, but quantity of fat also was important.

In the SLIM study (Lifestyle Intervention on Postprandial Glucose Metabolism), researchers also demonstrated improved glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity among participants who reduced their intake of both saturated fat and total fat.27 Again, the benefits of reduced saturated fat intake were noted only in those with a total fat intake of less than 35% of calories.

All these studies suggest that a diet low in saturated fat but also moderate in total fat content improves insulin sensitivity.

Now I have come up with some real studies.. do the same please.

A diet is just that, a diet. Whether it's low carb, high fat or high carb, low fat or something in between. Whichever way an individual chooses to go it really should be for a lifetime and that's where the big fail for the majority of people rears it's ugly head. I watched the video, but didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. That doesn't mean I'm on a totally healthy diet, but at least a way of eating I can live with. Try for the most part to find the foods that you think may be healthy and also you can eat on a continual basis. That way you may actually succeed. If I had to listen all the time to the quacks out there on the internet who keep repeating their gospel that this or that food is no good for you, I wouldn't be able to eat anything.

Correct a diet should be something that you can do for life, so those extreme diets of cutting out carbs completely are just not practical.

Balance and moderation helps in keeping it going.. and I have found out that (at least in lifting weights and exercise) consistency wins over going to extremes.

Correct a diet should be something that you can do for life, so those extreme diets of cutting out carbs completely are just not practical.

Balance and moderation helps in keeping it going.. and I have found out that (at least in lifting weights and exercise) consistency wins over going to extremes.

Buy 6 chocolates bars but buy an expensive ones. 85% chocolate. Basically it is full fat and no sugars.

Take foils out of them and make a hat.

Now a hardest part. Finding a head. Some people have muscles for the head or a peanuts.

If found put the hat on. It should cure your ignorance.

If you deny openly available nutrition facts - you are the quack.

Check the nutrition facts of grains its a mostly a sugar.

Your body contain 2 spoons of sugar in a time everything else should be removed by insulin or you die.

If you deny this fact you are the quack.

Please, let me know what of the information that I provided in this post or a post before is unproven?

I eat a lot of carbs! Vegetables and such the ones that are rich in fiber.

I also eat sugary ones but not with the main meals so my total carbs intake per hour is still low.

Pasta portion has 200g of pasta that is 50g of sugar that is 12.5 spoons of sugar.

Let me know where it goes when you eat it.

Video is a fail.

Logic is clear.

Your information is unproven not supported by science so I can call you a quack.

In reality we need carbs (or at least function good with it). I agree that people with insulin resistance should eat less carbs. But half a toast.. that is crazy.

We had the discussion before and you can't come up with scientific studies, and i read the books about carbs where they demonize them. Some nice examples that look real convincing till you start to use your brain. Like one of native Americans not exposed to carbs and then get corn and grow fat. That is not proof, because I can give you an example of the people in Tonga that got fat by eating more meat and fats. (plus correlation is not automatically causation people who studied statistics know this)

Thing is people who don't have a long background in health and foods often fall for those quack books, I read them to too to know what I am talking about. Sure it sounds nice.. but no real scientific studies backing it.

If you can come up with a study where non insulin resistant people (not all fat people are insulin sensitive), gaining rapid extra weight by eating half a toast i will take my words back. (of course it does not have to be half a toast but the amount of carbs in half a toast)

Below some research showing.. its not carbs alone but fats too that promote insulin resistance.. now if you cut out carbs like you want too.. your left with either proteins or fats.. here it shows that over 35% fat would get insulin resistance. Now that would mean 60% or more proteins.. good luck

Some research suggests that a diet high in total, trans, and saturated fat may promote insulin resistance.24-26 Studies also indicate that replacing saturated fat with polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fat may improve insulin sensitivity, but only if total fat intake also is controlled.25

According to a recent review by Risérus and colleagues of literature examining the role of different types of fat on insulin resistance, studies comparing insulin sensitivity and fatty acid composition in skeletal muscle (a reflection of the fatty acid composition of the diet) have found a direct, positive relationship between the proportion of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and insulin sensitivity.26 In addition, evidence suggests the more saturated fatty acids in the muscle cell membrane, the more insulin-resistant the individual.24

In the KANWU study, a three-month controlled, parallel, multicenter study performed at five different centers: Kuopio, Finland; Aarhus, Denmark; Naples, Italy; Wollongong, Australia; and Uppsala, Sweden, 162 subjects from these countries received isocaloric diets that differed only in fat quality, not quantity.25 Researchers found that insulin sensitivity was impaired in individuals on the higher saturated fat diet and improved in those on the higher monounsaturated fat diet. However, substituting monounsaturated fat for saturated fat improved insulin sensitivity only if total fat intake remained at no more than 37% of calories. The authors concluded that the type of fat in the diet impacted insulin resistance, but quantity of fat also was important.

In the SLIM study (Lifestyle Intervention on Postprandial Glucose Metabolism), researchers also demonstrated improved glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity among participants who reduced their intake of both saturated fat and total fat.27 Again, the benefits of reduced saturated fat intake were noted only in those with a total fat intake of less than 35% of calories.

All these studies suggest that a diet low in saturated fat but also moderate in total fat content improves insulin sensitivity.

Tonga island is biggest CocaCola consumer in the world(per person) and of course they are getting fat because of fatty meat ;)

evidence suggests the more saturated fatty acids in the muscle cell membrane, the more insulin-resistant the individual.24

More saturated fatty acid IN THE MUSCLE not in the food. The question is how does the fat gets to the muscles? Because of insulin. Insulin will put it there. Which is raised not by fat.

And also this study does not say anything about carbs. If you would eat saturated or monounsaturated fats with a carbs you will end up with high insulin.

It does not matter the amounts of the fat and it's ratio if the intake of carbs is still there.

And another thing as you said before people can be fat with or without insulin resistance that means the study is not really relevant to the subject of how do the people are getting fat.

https://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/is-it-time-to-stop-blaming-insulin-for-fat-storage/comment-page-1/

Video is a fail.

Logic is clear.

Tonga island is biggest CocaCola consumer in the world(per person) and of course they are getting fat because of fatty meat wink.png

evidence suggests the more saturated fatty acids in the muscle cell membrane, the more insulin-resistant the individual.24

More saturated fatty acid IN THE MUSCLE not in the food. The question is how does the fat gets to the muscles? Because of insulin. Insulin will put it there. Which is raised not by fat.

And also this study does not say anything about carbs. If you would eat saturated or monounsaturated fats with a carbs you will end up with high insulin.

It does not matter the amounts of the fat and it's ratio if the intake of carbs is still there.

And another thing as you said before people can be fat with or without insulin resistance that means the study is not really relevant to the subject of how do the people are getting fat.

Again.. no proof and you should read about Tonga here in the fat forum was a nice article about it that because of the import of certain meats they got fat.

You should post some research, but you dont.. why because there is none.

In your reasoning a person could eat unlimited fat without getting fat because it does not raise insulin so it does not get stored. Good luck with that. Your like a religious fanatic.. not believing in science not backing claims up with science.

https://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/is-it-time-to-stop-blaming-insulin-for-fat-storage/comment-page-1/

Anyway, let's come back to the course itself:

Syllabus
Week 1
  • Background on Food & Nutrients
  • A Short History of Obesity, Macronutrients, & Their Effects
  • Quiz: Section 1 Quiz
Week 2
  • Contemporary Trends in Eating
  • The Implications of Processed Food & How to Change
  • Quiz: Section 2 Quiz
Week 3
  • Future Directions in Health - Part I
  • Bringing Cooking Into Your Home
  • Quiz: Section 3 Quiz
Week 4
  • Future Directions in Health - Part 2
  • Navigating Your Food Environment
  • Quiz: Section 4 Quiz
Week 5
  • Cooking Workshop
Recommended Optional Resources
  • Gluten Free Crêpes
  • Lemon Herb Chicken
  • Asparagus Torta
  • Idlis - Indian Coconut Rice Cakes
  • Shrimp Pad Thai
  • Lasagna
  • Ricotta Cake
  • Easy Blender Pancakes
  • Sweet Pea Salad
  • Egg Sandwiches

Another lot of experts on food and diet.

I have said it before and I will say it again everybody is different and no one diet suits everyone.

Having said that there are a few truths that everybody can stick to improve their health, weight etc

No refined sugar

No refined carbs

Eat organic food where possible

Eat nothing from a packet

Eat sufficient protein with a meal

Eat a tablespoon of good quality cold pressed oil every day eg flax, olive

Do some exercise everyday like going for a walk

As for meat eating vs vegetarian some people need meat more than others and some people thrive on vegetarian diet go with how you feel. If you can eat a salad and fruit and you feel great and can function for hours then maybe you are suited to a vegetarian diet. If however you feel jittery and hungry and eating fruit and salads you probably need more protein like meat to keep your body in tip top shape.

Finally there are so many reasons why people may be overweight apart from diet especially as they get older.

30 percent of Aussies have a fatty liver so I guess for them losing weight is going to be a huge challenge. Then you have older males with dropping T levels that mean weight accumulates even thou diet might be low in calories. Then you have diabetics. A huge number of people have insulin problems which of course impact weigth. Then there are all the medications that people take that can cause things like fluid retention and other problems that can make it hard to shift weight.

All in all you have to some extent ignore all the noise about diets and this and that and see what works for you given your own personal medical history and individual metabolic type.

I have said it before and I will say it again everybody is different and no one diet suits everyone.

Having said that there are a few truths that everybody can stick to improve their health, weight etc

No refined sugar

No refined carbs

As for meat eating vs vegetarian some people need meat more than others and some people thrive on vegetarian diet go with how you feel. If you can eat a salad and fruit and you feel great and can function for hours then maybe you are suited to a vegetarian diet. If however you feel jittery and hungry and eating fruit and salads you probably need more protein like meat to keep your body in tip top shape.

Finally there are so many reasons why people may be overweight apart from diet especially as they get older.

30 percent of Aussies have a fatty liver so I guess for them losing weight is going to be a huge challenge. Then you have older males with dropping T levels that mean weight accumulates even thou diet might be low in calories. Then you have diabetics. A huge number of people have insulin problems which of course impact weigth. Then there are all the medications that people take that can cause things like fluid retention and other problems that can make it hard to shift weight.

All in all you have to some extent ignore all the noise about diets and this and that and see what works for you given your own personal medical history and individual metabolic type.

That might be so but when the zero carb people start spreading lies that has no base in science like if there is no insulin nothing can stored as fat. That is a huge lie even without insulin fat will be stored as fat if needed. You can't just ignore all the laws of biology and eat without fear of gaining weight if you don't eat carbs. Its simply not true if you overeat even if its without carbs you gain weight.

Sure people who are insulin resistant should not eat carbs because then you even store fat when you burn more as you consume. But stating that for healthy people a bit of whole wheat carbs is too much is crazy.

Otherwise I agree with most of what you say.

No refined sugar

No refined carbs

That might be so but when the zero carb people start spreading lies that has no base in science like if there is no insulin nothing can stored as fat. That is a huge lie even without insulin fat will be stored as fat if needed. You can't just ignore all the laws of biology and eat without fear of gaining weight if you don't eat carbs. Its simply not true if you overeat even if its without carbs you gain weight.

Sure people who are insulin resistant should not eat carbs because then you even store fat when you burn more as you consume. But stating that for healthy people a bit of whole wheat carbs is too much is crazy.

I am not against whole wheat carbs at all.

I eat stone ground sprouted organic bread and like to eat spelt pasta with my spag. I don't eat a huge amount but for most people good quality wholegrain carbs are fine. I also eat a bit or organic rice as well so yeah I am not against these types of carbs at all.

No refined sugar

No refined carbs

I am not against whole wheat carbs at all.

I eat stone ground sprouted organic bread and like to eat spelt pasta with my spag. I don't eat a huge amount but for most people good quality wholegrain carbs are fine. I also eat a bit or organic rice as well so yeah I am not against these types of carbs at all.

I was not talking about you, you got more sense. I make my own wholegrain bread and I do eat oats. I try not to eat too much of it but because of my exercise regime I can tolerate carbs quite well. In the past I was a tad insulin resistant but that was all reversed after loosing weight and exercising more.

Its just that I get a little (ok more then a little) mad when low / zero carb people start talking that if you eat no carbs you can eat unlimited food and not gain weight because insulin is not there to store it. That is a complete lie and not how biology works. I am in agreement that low carb is good for people who are insulin resistant. But not everyone who is overweight is insulin resistant.

I am not against low carb as such, but I am more for balance good fats.. good carbs and high proteins (get mine mainly from whey as there might be risks if you eat too much meat). But unprocessed (but cooked) meat in general is not bad. Processed meats different story.

colavspasta.png

Same healthy :)

All the thing that I post are basic anatomy and basic math.

Here are two links to back it up:

http://www.coca-colaproductfacts.com/en/coca-cola-products/coca-cola/

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=pasta+nutrition&oq=pasta&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l4.1376j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

2robblok:

You can eat just don't raise your insulin. You can't live without fiber.

I still does not understand what prove do you need? I am saying that insulin is responsible for fat storing and if you will keep it low fat won't be stored.

You can find info in wiki if you want.

And another thing. It looks like you don't understand what insulin resistance is.

So here is example that is based on basics as usual:

Let's take an average man that needs 2000 cal a day. That means that in an hour he needs 83.3cal (2000/24).

That man will be eating 200g of pasta which is 262 calories. (50g of carbs)

The blood has only 8g of sugar at a time(basic anatomy). If you add more you might die that's why insulin is pump to save you.

Let's look at the two cases with and without insulin resistance.

Case A.

With the resistance. Insulin starts pushing energy to the cells but some cells resists. Let's assume that half of the cells resisted.

They needed 83.3 calories but only half of them ate for 42 calories.

He ate but still hungry - this is as you know a bad thing because now he needs to eat another portion of the pasta to get another 42 calories.

As a result he ate 524calories to get 83calories. The question is where did the difference of 441calories went? They can't stay in the blood because it will cause damage so insulin pushes them to the fat storage.

Case B.

No resistance. Man ate less only 262 calories his cells ate 83 of them.

The question is where did the difference of 179calories went? They can't stay in the blood so it all went to fat storage.

Case A is absolute horrible but Case B is not that worse.

Once again if you exercised let's say day before the meal you can store most of it in glycogen storage of your muscles. Like you do.

And theres Case C.

Case C ate 3 eggs 4 slices of bacon and huge bowl of salad with olive oil on it.

His carbs intake was low let's say 40calories only so his insulin didn't rise that much his cells quickly ate all of the 40cals from the blood and man was not in danger. The rest of the calories he got from the fats that he ate bacon and olive oil and eggs.

How does he know that his insulin was low?

He uses glucometer and he tracks his blood before the food and after the food. And the reading after he ate is around 90points that shows that theres not that much sugar in the blood so there's no need for the insulin.

For the prove you can check the wiki about how the body works and role of the insulin.

And also you can read the wonderful book by Dr. William Davis Wheat Belly.

www.wheatbellyblog.com/

colavspasta.png

Same healthy smile.png

All the thing that I post are basic anatomy and basic math.

Here are two links to back it up:

http://www.coca-colaproductfacts.com/en/coca-cola-products/coca-cola/

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=pasta+nutrition&oq=pasta&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l4.1376j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

2robblok:

You can eat just don't raise your insulin. You can't live without fiber.

I still does not understand what prove do you need? I am saying that insulin is responsible for fat storing and if you will keep it low fat won't be stored.

You can find info in wiki if you want.

And another thing. It looks like you don't understand what insulin resistance is.

So here is example that is based on basics as usual:

Let's take an average man that needs 2000 cal a day. That means that in an hour he needs 83.3cal (2000/24).

That man will be eating 200g of pasta which is 262 calories. (50g of carbs)

The blood has only 8g of sugar at a time(basic anatomy). If you add more you might die that's why insulin is pump to save you.

Let's look at the two cases with and without insulin resistance.

Case A.

With the resistance. Insulin starts pushing energy to the cells but some cells resists. Let's assume that half of the cells resisted.

They needed 83.3 calories but only half of them ate for 42 calories.

He ate but still hungry - this is as you know a bad thing because now he needs to eat another portion of the pasta to get another 42 calories.

As a result he ate 524calories to get 83calories. The question is where did the difference of 441calories went? They can't stay in the blood because it will cause damage so insulin pushes them to the fat storage.

Case B.

No resistance. Man ate less only 262 calories his cells ate 83 of them.

The question is where did the difference of 179calories went? They can't stay in the blood so it all went to fat storage.

Case A is absolute horrible but Case B is not that worse.

Once again if you exercised let's say day before the meal you can store most of it in glycogen storage of your muscles. Like you do.

And theres Case C.

Case C ate 3 eggs 4 slices of bacon and huge bowl of salad with olive oil on it.

His carbs intake was low let's say 40calories only so his insulin didn't rise that much his cells quickly ate all of the 40cals from the blood and man was not in danger. The rest of the calories he got from the fats that he ate bacon and olive oil and eggs.

How does he know that his insulin was low?

He uses glucometer and he tracks his blood before the food and after the food. And the reading after he ate is around 90points that shows that theres not that much sugar in the blood so there's no need for the insulin.

For the prove you can check the wiki about how the body works and role of the insulin.

And also you can read the wonderful book by Dr. William Davis Wheat Belly.

www.wheatbellyblog.com/

I just gave you reference before that your insulin theory does not hold. Its over simplified and fat will get stored even if there is insulin present. Your reasoning is flawed and it has been proven by science. You take a quack website as proof.

Insulin is just part of the equation and when its not there fat will be stored as fat when there is too much. You don't excrete it so it will be stored. Where do you think the nutrients go when you don't use or excrete them.

All you seem to do is regurgitate what you have read instead of using your brain. Is it that hard to think for yourself. You did not even read my link before.

I know all about blood sugar testing, I did that with many meals when I was insulin resistant (a bit). Now I can take much more carbs as back then. But the lack of insulin does not mean it won;t get stored it it is not used. That is my point and you seem to forget about it.

Crack open any physiology textbook and chances are you’ll learn that after eating any normal meal, the release of insulin from the pancreas then signals the shutdown of the release of fatty acids from adipose (body fat) tissue and the increase of fatty acid uptake.

Because of this well-known role of insulin, one of the more puzzling explanations offered by some – including a few respected scientists and medical professionals — for weight gain is that elevated insulin is to blame because of its involvement in “fat storage”. In addition, they argue that the reason why a diet lower in carbohydrates works for weight loss is because of reduced levels of the peptide hormone.

It’s an easy conclusion to make. The logic goes that carbohydrates through their stimulation of insulin are fattening beyond their contribution of energy as kilocalories. It doesn’t matter how much you eat, so long as you avoid carbs to lose weight.

Another growing belief floating mainly around fitness circles is that it’s best to forego foods containing carbs when heading to the gym. It’s for fear that the carbs’ action on insulin will squash fat burning stimulated by exercise. Then again, some low-carb proponents have also argued, physical activity as a means to expend energy for weight management is pointless altogether. Again, carbs are really all that matter because of their action on insulin.

Where does all the extra energy from excess protein and fat go when overconsumed? And what about protein’s own effects in stimulating insulin or insulin’s role in promoting satiety? These questions are often overlooked or not easily answered by those that promote the “insulin is a fat storage hormone” proposition.

Out to help repair insulin’s reputation is obesity researcher Stephan Guyenet, Ph.D., of the University of Washington, who studies regulation of body fat by the brain. He downplays insulin as a primary regulator of long-term fat storage calling it a misrepresentation and oversimplification of what the hormone’s role really is. “There has been a lot of confusion about the role of insulin in the regulation of fat tissue,” Guyenet comments.

“Insulin is a critical coordinator of dynamic fatty acid flux on a meal-to-meal basis,” Guyenet clarifies. Through coordination, insulin is the main hormone that, essentially, tells the body what to do with the food energy just eaten. For example, when carbohydrate or protein is eaten, insulin directs the body to burn the carbohydrate or protein instead of using fat. And when mostly fat is eaten, the lack of an insulin response directs the body to burn the fat just eaten.

“Either way, you burn what you eat, and when that runs out, you go back to burning stored fat,” according to Guyenet. “This process is easily misinterpreted because one of insulin’s main functions following a meal is to shut down fat release from fat cells while the body burns carbohydrate and protein.

From Guyenet’s explanation, it sounds more as if insulin’s role is really that of a traffic cop— signaling where nutrients should go (carbs, protein, and fat) just after meals. Overall, however, insulin does not promote fat accumulation in the long run. Keep in mind that insulin also promotes the transport of glucose and amino acid into muscle for synthesis of glycogen and proteins after meals.

“At the end of the day, the total 24-hour ‘flux’ of fat in and out of fat cells does not appear to depend on these insulin spikes,” Guyenet comments.

Below more in that link

according to Guyenet. “This process is easily misinterpreted because one of insulin’s main functions following a meal is to shut down fat release from fat cells while the body burns carbohydrate and protein.

and then

“At the end of the day, the total 24-hour ‘flux’ of fat in and out of fat cells does not appear to depend on these insulin spikes,”

Which one is it? First or the second?

It's main function is to shutdown the release but in the same time it doesnt matter?

And once again.

Your article is good but it's irrelevant.

What I'm saying is that the insulin will put the energy IN the fat. What the article states that insulin will stop OUT flow.

(Outflow should be stopped in order for a flow to go in - makes sense)

So no controversy at all in the both views.

And the first part of the article is again right but is irrelevant again.

Where does all the extra energy from excess protein and fat go when overconsumed?

That is an interesting question that is not fully answered yet.

Partly it will flow in your blood that's for sure.

It won't raise your insulin too.

Although big amounts of protein will be converted to glucose over time so should be avoided too.

2robblok. All of the articles that you are providing are true but they are lacking the conclusions.

What I'm using is a pure math which can't be denied.

Also I personally inspired/convinced more than dozen people to switch to LCHF diet. And it worked perfectly well for all of them.

Let's look at the situation.

Person ate food. His sugar level went up it is easy measurable.

Please notice that we are looking at the sugar level and not at the cholesterol level.

If this person is a diabetic then he would need an injection of insulin otherwise he dies.

So we know that insulin lowers the blood sugar.

What you were trying to say is the protein will raise it too.

Yes, it will but not at the same level, again you can check it yourself at home.

Now the question is where did all that lowered sugar went?

It was in the blood and it's not there.

It could go to the glycogen storage but if it's full it will go to your fat cells.

this is the first link if you google "fat storage process"

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/cellular-microscopic/fat-cell2.htm

Hello again smile.png

I read your article one more time and it absolutely proves my point.

That's besides that he clearly says that it is true: http://www.dietdoctor.com/guyenet-taubes-and-why-low-carb-works

one of insulin’s main functions following a meal is to shut down fat release from fat cells

so if the person is fat he is not releasing fat from the cells. May be the hormone that main function is not to release the fat is to blame?

It may be not.

But if you are fat you can try to lower your carbs to lower the insulin. Now you can pull up a million and one articles that insulin can be raised by many ways. This is true but one of them is carbs and it is easy to instantly control.

Oh here it is in the same article:

what about protein’s own effects in stimulating insulin or insulin’s role in promoting satiety?

again it does not deny that carbs raises the insulin it says that proteins might do the same thing.

Great!

Keep your proteins low too. You need them to build the cells in cells in your body anyway so keep it low enough just to do that.

That's why the diet that I promoting is called LCHF and not LCHP.

they argue that the reason why a diet lower in carbohydrates works for weight loss

the guy admits that it works

and again argues for the reason not for the fact that it does indeed works.

He admits that diet works, he admits about the role of insulin, he makes a proposal that you need to watch out about other factors that effects the insulin.

And makes up fuked up conclusion: it does not matter!

Sorry for my language I should've use Guyenet style.

And makes puzzling explanations : it doesnt matter.

Your still missing it, but I had not expected you to get it as your like a religious fanatic.

The nutrients and energy that do not get stored in the fat stay in the blood and remain there until they either get used or stored. They don't magically disappear.

So as long as those nutrients are int he bloodstream you can't loose fat either, because there is no reason for the fat to get used as there is enough stuff to use in the blood.

So what still matters is how much you consume in relation to what you burn, low carb does not magically change that.

Now look at someone doing carbs those carbs get put in the fat storage and there is none in the blood, then there is energy demand and they are released from fat storage and burned. Nothing wrong with that that is how the body works

Now your example your nutrients don't get stored in the fat reserve but stay in the blood waiting to be used (or if there is a bit of an insulin spike to get stored because there is too much in the blood). So now your guy gets energy needs.. the stuff in the blood gets used.. not the fat that he got stored (unless that what was in the blood is burned).

So in the end its about the amount of food you eat.. not the kinds of food.

This all is wrong of course when you are insulin resistant then your system is messed up.

Is it clear now ?

2 robblok.

My statement is that a plate of pasta is unhealthy if you fat and therefore the video is a fail.

You provided 2 articles to counter this.

Second article is a complete prove of what I'm saying and even more: that doctor says that low-carbs diet without exercises will make you lose weight.

So is he a religious fanatic? If so why would you quote him?

First article basically saying that if your intake of fat is low (35%) you will get insulin resistance over time but you will get it faster depending on the fat you eat.

Guess what - it is your diet where 50% comes from carbs. So you proven that by eating carbs you will get insulin resistance which is unhealthy.

So both of the articles are clearly saying don't eat carbs. But the conclusion that you draw is doesn't matter.

You don't get it? 200g of pasta will do about the same to you that 0.5l of Cola product.

And you are missing a point about the blood. Carbs will go there and they have to be taken out or you die.

Protein and Fat won't kill you so they can float there.

You don't look like you have a lack of the knowledge. So I will take my words back about the ignorance.

So you are either a troll or you have a severe case of concussion.

2 robblok.

My statement is that a plate of pasta is unhealthy if you fat and therefore the video is a fail.

[Deleted]

You don't get it? 200g of pasta will do about the same to you that 0.5l of Cola product.

[Deleted]

What's unhealthy for "Fat People" is less the percentage of the different macro nutriments they eat than the quantity they eat.

For pasta ... 200g is not the right portion ... more like 70/80g ... and then you need to think about what you eat with the pasta and the sauce.

The online course focus is on the importance of cooking, so you can control your intake and make healthier choice.

You are free to believe that "Carbs are evil", just open a new thread on the forum, or if you want I can open it for you.

Studies have shown that for weight loss, it does not really matter what type of diet you adopt, as long as you reduce your calorie intake.

But let's have this discussion on this new thread. Thank you.

2 robblok.

You provided 2 articles to counter this.

Second article is a complete prove of what I'm saying and even more: that doctor says that low-carbs diet without exercises will make you lose weight.

So is he a religious fanatic? If so why would you quote him?

First article basically saying that if your intake of fat is low (35%) you will get insulin resistance over time but you will get it faster depending on the fat you eat.

Guess what - it is your diet where 50% comes from carbs. So you proven that by eating carbs you will get insulin resistance which is unhealthy.

So both of the articles are clearly saying don't eat carbs. But the conclusion that you draw is doesn't matter.

And you are missing a point about the blood. Carbs will go there and they have to be taken out or you die.

Protein and Fat won't kill you so they can float there.

You don't look like you have a lack of the knowledge. So I will take my words back about the ignorance.

So you are either a troll or you have a severe case of concussion.

You still don't get it those articles don't support your case and proteins and fat can't keep on floating in the blood.. they need to be used and as long as they are not used then you can't loose weight because the stuff floating in the blood will be the first energy source the fat stored in your body the second.

You should really start to read better.

All diets that restrict your food intake.. so low carb too will make you loose weight. My point is there is nothing magically about low carb its about food intake VS expenditure. Low carb does not allow you to eat more food.. low carb does not make you expend more energy.

Archived