How will we know when the "single gateway" or "mass surveilance" are started?

Cheesekraft

The single gateway will be implemented at the same time as ID cards stating occupation and income.

Yes governing through fear and threats is a tactic used here. They think their heavy handedness will keep people in line but its 2016. Sometimes threats carry more fear than physical tactics.

"Not according to my provider, he says they can get around a single gateway, i sent him what was being said a few months ago when this was first raised, he says there is always a way"

I'm fairly sure that your provider would tell you anything necessary to hang on to the business for one more month. Even if you can circumvent the single gateway, it is ILLEGAL and you could put yourself at risk of jail time. Simply ask yourself if it's worth it.

"Not according to my provider, he says they can get around a single gateway, i sent him what was being said a few months ago when this was first raised, he says there is always a way"

I'm fairly sure that your provider would tell you anything necessary to hang on to the business for one more month. Even if you can circumvent the single gateway, it is ILLEGAL and you could put yourself at risk of jail time. Simply ask yourself if it's worth it.

VPN's don't circumvent anything, everything goes through the gateway, encrypted or not.

What a single gateway does, other than the stated purpose to 'simplify' and 'improve' the infrastructure, is that it makes it easier to do packet inspection at a single point of entry/exit, looking for all that pesky seditious stuff!

What the VPN does is to encrypt the traffic rendering it invisible. Now they could choose to make using VPN illegal, but I'd love to hear the business community howl about that, and as I've previously said there are now VPN encryption protocols that even the Chinese can't detect and block.

Remember, China can do all sorts of things, but it's size and position in the global economy allows it to do things, which business has to deal with, because they need China.

Somehow, I'm not so convinced that global business 'needs' Thailand in quite the same way

well shit the international connections are already slow

Use a VPN, simple $5 a month

Indeed, but further discussion will break forum Rule 4:-

4) You will not not discuss methods of bypassing blocking of websites, or circumventing any censorship of the internet or other communications by lawful authorities.

Back to our OP.

If it ever happens you, and every other user, will know all about it, slower than usual international connections, timeouts, and the government will waste no time telling us they are protecting us from the big, bad internet.

I don't think we actually have to worry about this,

The people pulling his strings realise what a disaster for business in Thailand this would be, & more importantly, they would lose money, so he will be quietly pulled to one side & told not to do it,

I would think this has probably already happened...

Does this late Jan 16 article look like the govt has forget about a single gateway?

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/thai-govt-approves-20-billion-baht-for-internet-broadband-gateway/128860/

Thai govt approves 20 billion baht for internet broadband, gateway 0
BY EDITORON 2016-01-20THAILAND[google-translator]

Junta Approves 20 Billion Baht for Internet Broadband, Gateway

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen

Staff Reporter

14532646651453264690l.jpg

Photo: Norlando Pobre / Flickr

BANGKOK — The Junta approved 20 billion baht on Tuesday to improve internet broadband in the kingdom, drawing criticism from internet freedom advocates it will be used to develop its controversial “single gateway” project.

Government spokesman Maj. Gen. Sansern Kaewkamnerd yesterday said that 15 billion baht will be spent to expand the domestic high-speed internet network in rural areas, where the private sector is not interested in investing. That fits the “community internet” initiative recently touted by the Ministry of information and Communication Technology as a means to promote economic capacity and reduce unequal access to the internet.

The other 5 billion baht would be used to develop the single gateway, which the government has promoted as an economic measure to position Thailand as the “digital hub” of the ASEAN community.

The first phase of expanding the internet broadband across the country was expected to start in March, while Sansern said Thailand hoped its gateway project would make Thailand a link between Asia and the West begin in 2017.

Both state-owned TOT and CAT Telecom public companies will be responsible for the project.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453264665

I hear what you are saying but I would say that this is just face saving on the Generals part, as he will never admit to being wrong about anything,

I think that is will just quietly be forgotten about, Thai governments are full of talk for appearances but this mostly doesn't turn into action....