Upside-Down Sign in South Pattaya causes a stir on Facebook

webfact

Upside-Down Sign in South Pattaya causes a stir on Facebook

sign-3.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya City Hall officials were left red-faced on Monday after a sign promoting the forthcoming Chinese New Year Festival activities in Pattaya was installed upside-down.

The sign is located on the Sukhumvit Road, opposite the Highway Police Station in South Pattaya and the embarrassing mistake was posted on the popular “We Love Pattaya” Thai Facebook Channel, and within minutes a barrage of abusive comments was being directed towards City Hall.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221202/upside-down-sign-in-south-pattaya-causes-a-stir-on-facebook/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-02-02

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder if the same thing would happen in say the UK if British workmen were asked to install a similar type of sign displaying Thai, Japanese or Korean words, of course it would.

Look at the picture. People are upside down! Chinese or Thai language, it's a screwup. Sadly, one of the least significant in this town.

I wonder if the same thing would happen in say the UK if British workmen were asked to install a similar type of sign displaying Thai, Japanese or Korean words, of course it would.

Apart from the already mentioned people there are also numbers upside down, the exact same numbers that Thais use.

Apart from the already mentioned people there are also numbers upside down, the exact same numbers that Thais use.

I think you'll find Thais use different numbers.

Really, look at Thai numberplates.

I think you'll find that Thai kids are taught to use the same numbers as us from nursery. And that people stand on their feet here as well.

Only when they don't want foreigners to understand the sign.

Look at the picture. People are upside down! Chinese or Thai language, it's a screwup. Sadly, one of the least significant in this town.

I was in a visitor centre years ago once near the river in Memphis, TN. There was some kind of handwritten certificate of appreciation or a letter in Japanese in a glass case. Maybe from a sister city or something I can't remember, but it was hung upside down!

I wrote a letter, probably no change. Just like the fire extinguisher receptacle in the Sapporo station bus terminal that says EXTIN PANTHER. It has survived decades of "internationalisation" and even repainting a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Thais are still unable to recognise the numbers despite them being everywhere?

Nor are familiar that the heads of people are normally at the top!

Thai apologist methinks.

Edited by jacko45k

So Thais are still unable to recognise the numbers despite them being everywhere?

Thai apologist methinks.

No, many many Thai's don't understand the western numbering system.

And I, just like the workmen, didn't examine the picture in detail to see what it contained, to them it was a job, to me it was a an upside down sign as evidenced by the date at the bottom which is written in English, but then again I am a native English speaker.

And and, go stuff your apologist remark, methinks!

Unlikely, as firstly the people on the poster are upside down and secondly because most British workmen possess the common sense factor above the capacity of a boiled potato.

Thai apologist methinks.

No, many many Thai's don't understand the western numbering system.

And I, just like the workmen, didn't examine the picture in detail to see what it contained, to them it was a job, to me it was a an upside down sign as evidenced by the date at the bottom which is written in English, but then again I am a native English speaker.

And and, go stuff your apologist remark, methinks!

Not even a matter of understanding them, they are written on many things here, from phones to calendars, vehicle tax disks, banknotes and Thai ID cards. (The ID number is not even written in Thai script on these!)

Workmen erecting signs do not look which way up they go, you kinda expect to see more of them upside down wouldn't you think, maybe half of them? Come on, this is just a really dopey mistake...... or perhaps the guy doesn't like Chinese new year.

Edited by jacko45k

Thai apologist methinks.

You seem to be using that as a slur, is there something wrong with being an apologist? Don't you approve of others having an opinion contrary to yours?

At least he can express himself without resorting to using 1,000 year old English.

Thai apologist methinks.

You seem to be using that as a slur, is there something wrong with being an apologist? Don't you approve of others having an opinion contrary to yours?

At least he can express himself without resorting to using 1,000 year old English.

I was thinking of Shakespeare as I wrote it.

This must beat all apologist comments ever posted on this forum,

I'm sad that your world is so small you are able to categorize everything about a culture into the two categories of apologist and basher!

Thai apologist methinks.

I was thinking of Shakespeare as I wrote it.

cheesy.gif