FYI: New Taxi System at HKT

BillR

I flew in on January 2nd, business as usual. Yesterday, I came in and now they give you a ticket with the drivers name, phone #, Driver #, and how to file a complaint.

There's also no more people harassing you for a taxi as soon as you exit.

My apologies if I missed this.

I never had a problem with them, I would usually negotiate a flat rate and you can still do that. Just nice to know you are somewhat protected.

Taxi-Meter drivers are allowed to ask passengers for a surcharge of 100 Baht added to the fare in the meter. In this regard, Phuket Intl. Airport is not involved in accepting the surcharge of 100 Baht on transport fares in any way.

You learn something new everyday:) Thats directly from the ticket.

Taxi-Meter drivers are allowed to ask passengers for a surcharge of 100 Baht added to the fare in the meter. In this regard, Phuket Intl. Airport is not involved in accepting the surcharge of 100 Baht on transport fares in any way.

That sums up the taxi nonsense here pretty much. They can add a surcharge when they feel like it? So it's part of the fare or not?

What is the 100THB for if it's not going to the airport? For their waiting time because of their inefficiency?

Lol, but AOT will charge the taxi driver the 100 Baht, whether he has charged the passenger or not.

I think simply bad translation, they probably mean that the 100 baht has to be paid directly to the driver and not at the booth.

Lol, but AOT will charge the taxi driver the 100 Baht, whether he has charged the passenger or not.

I think simply bad translation, they probably mean that the 100 baht has to be paid directly to the driver and not at the booth.

This is not clear at all. How can AOT charge the taxi driver ? All vehicle drive straight into the aiport car waiting area without any check, and leave without any check.

Not so sure, but AOT claim they do not charge these 'casula' meter taxis ...

The reason why I negotiate a no meter flat rate is I don't really trust the meters and if things like traffic become a factor then who knows. On my trip last night I negotiated 900 to Rawai, which might be high, but the lady ran the meter and it was 875 THB so if 100 THB surcharge it would be more. Anyways, she drove decently and was professional. Here is the ticket in question, left panel.

On closer inspection, it does say if you hire on the airport grounds, you must pay the 100 THB surcharge, but it doesn't go to the airport per-se.

I guess the point is, things are more accountable now as far at least having some recourse if you get a maniac or meter rigged driver. As a benefit, they seem to drive safer, at least by Phuket standards.

post-67486-0-17878100-1454409521_thumb.j

Edited by BillR

This is not clear at all. How can AOT charge the taxi driver ? All vehicle drive straight into the aiport car waiting area without any check, and leave without any check.

Aot set the charge at 100 and are charging for every taxi. I don't know though how they organised it.

I really have no problem with the 100 baht airport surcharge. These meter taxi mostly have to travel empty out to the airport due to local taxi mafia control. I always support/use these meter taxi guys.

I have no problem with a charge either. I was referring to the unsure part of the text snippet. Maybe charge, maybe not.

In any case I don't support either of the two taxi gangs. Both gave me plenty of reasons to hate them in the past. The meters mostly for refusing to use the meter. Might be better now.

BillR: you could also use for example phuketshuttle.com where the fair is a fixed 900THB so you don't even have to negotiate.

I really have no problem with the 100 baht airport surcharge. These meter taxi mostly have to travel empty out to the airport due to local taxi mafia control. I always support/use these meter taxi guys.

I have no problem with a charge either. I was referring to the unsure part of the text snippet. Maybe charge, maybe not.

In any case I don't support either of the two taxi gangs. Both gave me plenty of reasons to hate them in the past. The meters mostly for refusing to use the meter. Might be better now.

BillR: you could also use for example phuketshuttle.com where the fair is a fixed 900THB so you don't even have to negotiate.

Its never been much of a negotiation, I just say 900THB to Rawai, no meter and drive safe and its an above average rate for the driver. I pay to the airport from Rawai 700THB from my regular guy.

What has changed is the system is much more organised. You are not harassed on exit, you receive a ticket as posted above which gives info on the driver and what to do if a problem occurs from a well organised kiosk outside. In my opinion this is a good thing considering scams which have occurred in the past.

Before you would get "taxi taxi taxi sir where you go?" No idea if the driver was licensed, drunk or whatever. The old taxi booth was shady to say the least (its gone now) Now the system is much more clear and i think safer for tourists.

I just wanted to state it was a good thing, however you go about it.

Aot set the charge at 100 and are charging for every taxi. I don't know though how they organised it.

When AOT ended the limousine concessionaires in late 2013 it also stopped collecting the 100 baht surcharge from taximeters!

The last time I took a meter taxi from HKT (4 months ago), all commercial vehicles (vans, taxis) were required to stop before the exit. Drivers had to exit their vehicle walk over to a table and "do something" before they could leave. Maybe its changed since then, but that was my experience, twice.

On the other hand, at DMK, AoT signage at the taxi queue area clearly indicates that AoT does not benefit from the surcharge imposed there.

The last time I took a meter taxi from HKT (4 months ago), all commercial vehicles (vans, taxis) were required to stop before the exit. Drivers had to exit their vehicle walk over to a table and "do something" before they could leave. Maybe its changed since then, but that was my experience, twice.

On the other hand, at DMK, AoT signage at the taxi queue area clearly indicates that AoT does not benefit from the surcharge imposed there.

Yes, sure that was the routine in the past. But last few times I drove out of the airport recently none of the taxis etc stopped at the 'table'. All now drive straight out.

Forgive me if I hijack the thread for a related question: does anyone know if it's possible to rent a motorcycle within walking distance from the airport?

I would have a small backpack only, and have to return to the airport again a week later. Barring heavy rain, it would make a lot of sense for me.

Forgive me if I hijack the thread for a related question: does anyone know if it's possible to rent a motorcycle within walking distance from the airport?

I would have a small backpack only, and have to return to the airport again a week later. Barring heavy rain, it would make a lot of sense for me.

It would be a very long walk. Been asked many times in the past. Last one --->

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/885058-motorbike-rental-near-airport/

I was just at HKT, where the surcharge is 100 Baht. Then I was at BKK, where the surcharge is 50 Baht. Hum, Phuket's surcharge is twice as much as BKK and DMK. I wonder why? Rhetorical question...

Ask aot, they set those charges

It would be a very long walk. Been asked many times in the past. Last one --->

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/885058-motorbike-rental-near-airport/

Thanks