Can't stop acting like a dick.

Snackbar

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to buy a slowcooker in the makro last week or so but fast. It wasn't for sale there but i bought some frozen stuff...with the bags on my arms i wanted to walk out (after paying ofcourse) and those 2 came to me to check. They couldn't speak a word english and i had no idea what they wanted from me.

They wanted to see all i bought but i told them to hurry up because it was all frozen goods and cold on my arms. Then they didn't check me at all and i could go my way.

It was not busy at all that time so why didn't they just go stand at the cashiers and check it there while i paid? And why didn't they learn to speak english if they want a public function? There was nobody at the cashiers and only 2 were open.

Should they also learn to speak Russian, German, Chinese, etc. Or just your native language? Do those that work at similar jobs in your country learn to speak Thai?

Edited by HerbalEd

For the sake of a couple of minutes whats the problem? As I can see it gives jobs to people in order for them to supprot their families. At least the are not out stealing. They are doing a pretty menial job but spare them a couple minutes of your precious time in order for them to keep said job. Their family depends on that income. If your life is so busy in Thailand then you are doing something wrong. Take time to smell the roses.

The 'checkers' are so highly trained they can glance at the receipt, then the contents of the shopping and know instantly alls well. But get a bit Nancy if I ignore them and walk straight.

All due respect to them but this dude looked like he'd slept under a hedge after a night on the gear, woke up late and missed the customer care orientation seminar.

As for the haters, English people couldn't give a monkeys chuff if they've irritated someone. That's what they do best.

Indeed. Evidently you're a master at it.

I wanted to buy a slowcooker in the makro last week or so but fast. It wasn't for sale there but i bought some frozen stuff...with the bags on my arms i wanted to walk out (after paying ofcourse) and those 2 came to me to check. They couldn't speak a word english and i had no idea what they wanted from me.

They wanted to see all i bought but i told them to hurry up because it was all frozen goods and cold on my arms. Then they didn't check me at all and i could go my way.

It was not busy at all that time so why didn't they just go stand at the cashiers and check it there while i paid? And why didn't they learn to speak english if they want a public function? There was nobody at the cashiers and only 2 were open.

Should they also learn to speak Russian, German, Chinese, etc. also. Or just your native language? Do those that work at similar jobs in your country learn to speak Thai?

English is a universal language. The others you mention are not.

Should they also learn to speak Russian, German, Chinese, etc. also. Or just your native language? Do those that work at similar jobs in your country learn to speak Thai?

you only come third

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

if they should talk another language it would be Chinese, so get of your high horse. if you live here you should be talking Thai

Evidently it's not that universal. Meanwhile the "dick" knew perfectly well what the checker had to do. He just wanted to be a dick ... and did a fine job indeed.

You know what's the dick-iest dick of all? The one's that are proud of being a dick and love to declare it to the world ... or at least to those on tv.com. I'm sure Mr. Dick does things like this all the time ... even to the point of looking for and setting up confrontations himself.

you only come third

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

if they should talk another language it would be Chinese, so get of your high horse. if you live here you should be talking Thai

English is THE universal language. It is not defined by the number of people speaking it, (99% of the Mandarin is probably spoken in China), and it is the official language in over 70 countries.

I do not speak fluent Thai, nor do I intend to, but I get by just nicely.

I wonder who is the dick ? You or the OP ?

I give in to the same base behaviors whenever the guy on the MRT wants to check my luggage on the return trip from Swampi airport.

He's just let 1000 locals through unchecked with their shopping bags, but my carry-on luggage suddenly needs to be opened and checked.

I just walk though now and don't stop.

Pointless checks are irritating - and sometimes I just need to revert to type and act like a dick too.

The 'checkers' are so highly trained they can glance at the receipt, then the contents of the shopping and know instantly alls well. But get a bit Nancy if I ignore them and walk straight.

All due respect to them but this dude looked like he'd slept under a hedge after a night on the gear, woke up late and missed the customer care orientation seminar.

As for the haters, English people couldn't give a monkeys chuff if they've irritated someone. That's what they do best.

In case you have forgotten, you are a guest here. Come to my house and start acting like a dick, don't be surprised of you're asked to leave and not invited back.

You obviously enjoy your dickishness, so why not live where it's a true art form instead of treating your hosts here to yet another irritating display of farang incivility..

I have done the Makro dance with the checkers every time. Takes no time (5-10 sec) and you're on your way. No need to be a dick about it. I suspect you like to because it makes you feel superior in some way. Too bad, the Thais see you as just another PIA farang.

The might not speak English because they are Thai, live in Thailand and you are in a Thai shop.

Just a thought.

In case you have forgotten, you are a guest here. Come to my house and start acting like a dick, don't be surprised of you're asked to leave and not invited back.

You obviously enjoy your dickishness, so why not live where it's a true art form instead of treating your hosts here to yet another irritating display of farang incivility..

I have done the Makro dance with the checkers every time. Takes no time (5-10 sec) and you're on your way. No need to be a dick about it. I suspect you like to because it makes you feel superior in some way. Too bad, the Thais see you as just another PIA farang.

Another one of the "you are a guest in Thailand" brigade

Ever heard of shoplifting?

It's rampant in Thailand, Thai and farang customers.

Seriously, people are lifting shops in Thailand .

Do they use forklifts or just their arms

Now, that is dickish. I suppose the trolley was electric, on tracks, had an operator, and maybe a conductor.

My response to why didn't they learn to speak English is aaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh. Why don't you learn Thai? It is after all THAILAND, not England.

It's their job to check it all, regardless of your desire for speed ( probably let you go unchecked because you were making a fuss and embarrassing them ), and you could have left your goods in the trolley, like everyone else does till you get outside.

Why should they go to check your goods at the cashier? It's not their job to run around after individual customers. Perhaps you don't realise Makro is a wholesale outlet for businesses, not a normal retail outlet.

I'm sure Big C or similar would provide a more satisfying shopping experience for you in the future.

Hopefully you mean Big C in Fulham, England?

Edited by joebrown

Isn't there something dickish about 'if you don't like go home!'

Welcome to the club...Another dick.

You're quite correct, "if you don't like it, go home" is generally accepted as being 'dickish', However, we'll make an exception just for you as it seems you are suffering from exteme Dickitis.

Ever heard of shoplifting?

It's rampant in Thailand, Thai and farang customers.

They never check properly, like the useless MRT security staff in Bangkok, and so are completely pointless. There is no way they are able to check 30 or 40 items in a trolley in 10 seconds. I was brought up to believe that if a job is worth doing it's worth doing it properly, which I've learned in my 25 years here is an alien concept to most Thais. But imagine the chaos if the Makro (and MRT) staff actually did the job properly and kept each person waiting a couple of minutes or more.

Since this is Thailand I guess there is a strong case to say we should speak Thai, but I was at a restaurant last week and listening to the accents of the customers and I heard English, Canadian, American, Irish, Welsh, Italian, Norwegian (I think - certainly that area of mainland EU) and Australian, and all conversing with each other comfortably, with all of them speaking decent English. The Thais amongst us (wives/GF's/staff) were about the standard of English you'd normally experience in a foreigner establishment, though none of their customers were competent in the language of Thai. I have to admit I don't speak fluently either, just a 'get you by' kind of standard.

Some may feel I'm coming across as a bit self important or lazy on language, though I would suggest that if it is wives/GF's/staff then perhaps since they're generally speaking benefactors of the foreigners it might make more sense to learn an international language rather than forcing it the other way around (being a 1 percenter nation).

I never gave it any thought before, but now that you've brought this up I'm wondering why there are bill checkers at the door in Makro that can do anything the cashier can't, or if they want a second opinion why the checkers can't oversee the till. Odd, though it had never crossed my mind that someone invented that one sunny afternoon in their management meeting a long long time ago in a far away place.

As for Makro/Macro, Macro would be a correct word depending what country, though if you want to be picky it is SiamMakro.

A dererant. Stop the cashier and the customer in cahoots of stealing.

Had another moment in that store a while ago.

There's a section selling alcohol. With a designated point of sale (POS). Staff there insist customers pay at that POS. I wanted to buy some alcohol but had forgotten to get cash from the ATM. The machine is at the entrance, a 30 meter walk. Told the girl the situation and wandered off with my shopping intending to get cash and pay at the exit. She freaked out, completely losing it. Raising her voice, animated, like some possessed luk thep. I noticed she picked up the phone, calling the NCPO possibly.

Thinking little of it at the till the check out girl scanned the alcohol no problem.

Being a dick, there are going to be other dicks. When the stars align and two dicks collide an inevitable confusion ensues.

A dick and an <deleted>, a dick and a pussy, there's an understanding.

But two dicks?

Not ment to B.

I sincerely hope there are no limits to your dickishness. I'm looking forward to reading a futureTVF post by you from back home in Fulham. Maybe the title will be "Experience of a Dick in Thai Immigration Office", with special reference to, or chapters covering Extension/Visa refused, Detention Centre Cuisine and Deportation Process.

The English meaning of makro is spelled......Macro.............whistling.gif

If I remember correctly, Macro ( John Rhys-Davies, Welsh ) was the guy who offed Sejanus ( Patrick Stewart, Scottish ) in the I, Claudius series. The Poms always did hate getting their own hands dirty.

Any other useless bits of information you want, feel free to PM me.smile.png

I give in to the same base behaviors whenever the guy on the MRT wants to check my luggage on the return trip from Swampi airport.

He's just let 1000 locals through unchecked with their shopping bags, but my carry-on luggage suddenly needs to be opened and checked.

I just walk though now and don't stop.

Pointless checks are irritating - and sometimes I just need to revert to type and act like a dick too.

... and they wouldn't know a bomb if you stuck it up their... nose