Over 65 Pension `O` Visa Extension

Hi There,

This year i will arrive in Thailand with the `O` visa, based on retirement or marriage,

Has anyone on here managed to extend this visa, ie, gain another 12 months every year by visiting another neighbouring country to thailand without returning to UK .

At the moment it seems that you have to return to the UK to get another one.

Cheers

Any non immigrant entry can be extended it you meet the requirements - for retirement that is financial means and for male party in marriage also financial.

If you are asking about multi entry non immigrant O visa issue they may be issued for marriage in Laos without financials currently. But that is always subject to change at any time.

Non-Immigrant 'O' visas can be obtained, on the basis of marriage, from Savannaket.

Only in the UK will you get the 'soft' OAP visa.

Thanks for that confirmation, much appreciated, so i`ll start with the oap one for one year then hop over to Laos for the marriage one.

I thought you have a pension from UK? Your age is OK anyhow. If you have a pension of 65.000 baht a month you can get a document from UK on that. Take it to your embassy in BKK and than to Immigration in Thailand and apply for extension of stay based on retirement.... and you do NOT have to leave Thailand for any reason.

Glegolo

Hi There,

This year i will arrive in Thailand with the `O` visa, based on retirement or marriage,

Has anyone on here managed to extend this visa, ie, gain another 12 months every year by visiting another neighbouring country to thailand without returning to UK .

Cheers

Shortly, I shall be arriving with a single entry "O" visa. It is my understanding that (as someone over 50 who meets the financial requirements) I can convert this into a "retirement visa" (an extension of 12 months based on retirement - an O-A) without leaving Thailand.

If anyone thinks I have got this wrong, I'd appreciate them saying.

Also, could someone please advise if I can do this conversion right away or if I have to wait a while. (Someone I have spoken with believes I will need to wait 60 days.)

Thanks.

I thought you have a pension from UK? Your age is OK anyhow. If you have a pension of 65.000 baht a month you can get a document from UK on that. Take it to your embassy in BKK and than to Immigration in Thailand and apply for extension of stay based on retirement.... and you do NOT have to leave Thailand for any reason.

Glegolo

In the UK a pensioner, in receipt of a Government Old Age Pension, can obtain a 12 month, multiple entry non "O" visa.

The Government Old Age Pension will not usually meet the 65000/month threshold required for an extension of stay.

• Like 1

Hi There,

Cheers

Shortly, I shall be arriving with a single entry "O" visa. It is my understanding that (as someone over 50 who meets the financial requirements) I can convert this into a "retirement visa" (an extension of 12 months based on retirement - an O-A) without leaving Thailand.

Also, could someone please advise if I can do this conversion right away or if I have to wait a while. (Someone I have spoken with believes I will need to wait 60 days.)

Thanks.

If you arrive with a non O visa you can apply during the last 30 days of the 90 days the visa provides for an "extension of stay based on retirement" (It is NOT a visa and not an O/A)

You will need to have

1. 800,000 Bht in a Thai bank for two months .....or
  2. An income of 65000 Bht/month certified by your Embassy.............. or
  3. A combination of 1+2 totaling 800,000 Bht.

Thanks.

If you arrive with a non O visa you can apply during the last 30 days of the 90 days the visa provides for an "extension of stay based on retirement" (It is NOT a visa and not an O/A)

You will need to have

Thanks but, as I said, I SHALL be arriving with an "O" visa.

Thanks.

You will need to have

Good.

That makes everything much easier for you.

edit to remove typo

Edited by sunnyjim5

Thanks.

You will need to have

Good.

That makes everything much easier for you.

edit to remove typo

Sorry if I'm being very thick about this but it's all pretty incomprehensible to me. So may I ask a definitive question.

I am arriving with a non-Immigrant "O" visa. Can I apply for the "retirement visa" at any time after arrival or do I have to wait 60 days?

Bazle, post no. 10 explains it. You apply for your extension of stay ("retirement visa")during the last 30 days of validity of your permission to stay stamped in your passport when you arrive. If you have a hunt around ThaiVisa there is plenty of information to be found on the procedures to do this and the paperwork you need to get together to present to immigration. Requirements can sometimes vary, so find info specific to where you plan to apply.

Bazle

NO !

There is no "retirement visa" .

You can, as I said, apply for an extension of stay, based on retirement, during the last 30 days of the 90 days your visa will provide if you can meet the financial requirements which I also detailed.

Thank you, both.

Do you happen to know if there are any circumstances under which an application can be made earlier?

Some offices will accept applications for an "extension of stay" sooner.

You will have to ask at whichever office you will be applying

• 6 months later...

Having read the previous posts there now exists some uncertainty in my mind so I hope someone can help to clarify the situation.

As a UK pensioner over 65 I have a one year multiple entry Non Imm. Category O visa. All I had to do was send the c.£120 fee and a copy of my state pension letter to the Thai embassy in London. I am quite happy to do that again from the UK as I will always be back in Scotland for part of (What we laughably call) the summer. However the problem is if I stay here more that 90 days do I have to get some sort of documentation/stamp etc, this is not what the very helpful girl at the Thai Embassy in London told me.

You can not remain more than 90 days in Thailand on a multi entry non immigrant O visa so 90 day address reports are not a factor.  You must exit country and return for a new 90 day stay every 90 days or less.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, exiting country is no problem (I'm close to Myanmar border) but I now wonder if I need to provide much more information for the extension (Income etc) than I did for my original visa (My OAP visa as I call it), that would be rather odd.

2.22 In the case of retirement: 

Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year. 

The alien: 

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM). 

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over. 

(3) Must have evidence of having income of no less than Baht 65,000 per month: or 

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no less than 60 days prior to the filing date: or 

(5) Must have an annual earning and fluids deposited with a bank totaling no less than Baht 800,0000 as of the filing date.

You stated you intended to obtain another multi entry non immigrant O visa while in the UK.  This is not an extension and does not require the TM.7 application to immigration or financial requirements of an extension of stay.

If you are now asking about an extension of stay from immigration you will require the information in post 23 above and will have to obtain here in Thailand and then start doing 90 day reports for any visit longer than 90 days.

• 5 months later...

A question to anybody out there .. in Lite Beers post above, the extract talks about the 65,000 baht per month income. Can this income be generated from inside Thailand ?? Say, by renting out apartments (obviously everything would have to be legal and above board) ..

Guidance would be appreciated.

8 hours ago, sandmike said:

A question to anybody out there .. in Lite Beers post above, the extract talks about the 65,000 baht per month income. Can this income be generated from inside Thailand ?? Say, by renting out apartments (obviously everything would have to be legal and above board) ..

Guidance would be appreciated.

You would not be able use income earned here.

From clause 2.22 of  Immigration Bureau Order 138/2557  documents for extension of stay. 

3. Evidence of income such as a retirement pension,  interest or dividends