Thailand's navy to get a boost with new patrol vessel

webfact

Thailand's Navy to Get a Boost With New Patrol Vessel
By Prashanth Parameswaran

Thai shipbuilder inks fresh contract with UK firm to build a second offshore patrol vessel.

BANGKOK: -- A Thai shipbuilder has inked a new contract with a British defense firm to build a second offshore patrol vessel (OPV) for the Royal Thai navy (RTN).

Under the agreement announced on January 29, BAE Systems will provide engineering support and advice during the construction of a second modified River-class OPV at Thai shipbuilder Bangkok Dock’s facilities at the Mahidol Adulyadej Naval Dockyard.

The 90-meter OPVs are highly versatile ships which can be employed for various functions including the management of exclusive economic zones (EEZs) and the provision of disaster relief. The RTN had accepted its first OPV, HTMS Krabi, back in 2013 which was also built in partnership with BAE Systems at Mahidol Adulyadej.

Full story: http://thediplomat.com/2016/02/thailands-navy-to-get-a-boost-with-new-patrol-vessel/

-- THE DIPLOMAT 2016-02-03

Will the consultants from the British company be here throughout the construction, fitting out etc or will they deliver their input then leave allowing Thai expertise to take over and cut corners and who will be in charge of ' quality control " ?

BAE Systems is one of the giants of European arms manufactures, from Nuclear Submarines to field artillery to jet fighters to actual bullets. I find it strange that the EU delayed any action on the fishing problem and then a few days later a European company is selling them a vessel wholly suitable for fisheries management. Seems a deal was done, but I think everyone here expected similar.

Much more practical than the three Sukhoi Superjet passenger aircraft (valued at $31 million USD each) purchased in 2015 and being delivered to the Royal Air Force in 2016/2017.

attachicon.gifSukhoi.jpg

At least they did't go for Embraer or Bombardier aircrafts in the same class as then it would have been somewhere closer to 50 million USD each.

But really unnecessary spending you can see in US with The Beast (or Cadillac One) that cost 1,5 million USD each and apparently US Secret Service needs 12 of them just to transport the president around...

This was in the US Military Times but I didn't save that issue. If my memory serves me somewhat correctly BAE staff and workers will be deeply involved the entire project. This is a good purchase in my limited opinion. I believe the Military Times said there are at least 2 more scheduled. Hopefully BAE and the British Navy will be involved in the long training and operational phase. If not this one then the next will be fitted for surface to surface missles but none will be provided at this stage.