Lies and videotapes: Uninsured Aussie tourist finds himself in hot water

webfact

What kind of rental bike costs $5000 to fix?

If it wasn't a 650cc kawasaki or something similar has getting raped by that rental company....

He's gonna woo the women on a Honda Click? He probably did have a Harley or something similar!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this an ad for insurance company?

a/ NO INSURANCE COMPANY WOULD PAY IF YOU ARE IN THE WRONG

b/ No foreign is ever right in an accident

c/ Foreigner is wrong from the moment he arrives at the airport, he should stay home and not come to Thailand. Anything that happens to him is HIS fault and no insurance company is going to cover that.

d/ if you think you will ever get a dime from a Thai insurance com

He doesnt look like the sharpest tool in the shed does he?

Cops moved fast to bring the scam into play.. Seize his passport and pay now farang !

Australians have been constantly warned in the media about rental scams in LOS but no-ones listening.

the rental amount is the least of his worries he has a hospital bill to pay but I guess they should just write it off

All these motorbike rentals that conveniently don't have any insurance for there bikes, of course they do, you cannot get a tax disk without at least the government tax which everybody has to have.

They should make it law that all rental bikes are fully covered including theft and not try and con tourists into paying over inflated price.

The Government insurance and Tax covers the cost of any medical bills but not property. If he gets a standard form from the Police stating his injuries were a result of a traffic accident and presents that to the Hospital, then his medical bills should be covered. They don't tell Farang of anything they may be entitled to, especially in tourist areas

Correct - Gov. Insurance and tax takes care of the hospital.

Foreigners - (Farangs) are bamboozled (Thai style of course) with the wording which the Thais keep perpetuating instead of coming onto the International business English world.

The insurance in question real and proper nomenclature is called: "UNINSURED motorist" and is part of the yearly registration of the motor vehicle. If you do not have the slip located on the bottom of the UNINSURED motorist insurance policy, then you CANNOT get the vehicle registration certificate.

Note:

This UNINSURED motorist insurance (operated by the Gov. and a money maker causing premiums to be reduced a few times already) pays the hospital and other medical bills, NOTHINGELSE. It was brought in some years ago because hospitals, not infrequently Gov. Hospitals, were holding the bag of the cheapskates (Thais and Farangs) who did not buy all coverage insurance.

Many countries I have worked worldwide have this insurance and call it by its proper nomenclature, "UNINSURED motorist insurance" even a blind person understands this wording but this being Thailand they have to have their own wording and not really knowing what they are doing came of with the concoction "Government insurance and tax". Surely bamboozles everybody including Thais. As Bernard Trink would say: "TIT".

LOL in LOS

All these motorbike rentals that conveniently don't have any insurance for there bikes, of course they do, you cannot get a tax disk without at least the government tax which everybody has to have.

They should make it law that all rental bikes are fully covered including theft and not try and con tourists into paying over inflated price.

The Government insurance and Tax covers the cost of any medical bills but not property. If he gets a standard form from the Police stating his injuries were a result of a traffic accident and presents that to the Hospital, then his medical bills should be covered. They don't tell Farang of anything they may be entitled to, especially in tourist areas

Correct - Gov. Insurance and tax takes care of the hospital.

Foreigners - (Farangs) are bamboozled (Thai style of course) with the wording which the Thais keep perpetuating instead of coming onto the International business English world.

The insurance in question real and proper nomenclature is called: "UNINSURED motorist" and is part of the yearly registration of the motor vehicle. If you do not have the slip located on the bottom of the UNINSURED motorist insurance policy, then you CANNOT get the vehicle registration certificate.

Note:

This UNINSURED motorist insurance (operated by the Gov. and a money maker causing premiums to be reduced a few times already) pays the hospital and other medical bills, NOTHINGELSE. It was brought in some years ago because hospitals, not infrequently Gov. Hospitals, were holding the bag of the cheapskates (Thais and Farangs) who did not buy all coverage insurance.

Many countries I have worked worldwide have this insurance and call it by its proper nomenclature, "UNINSURED motorist insurance" even a blind person understands this wording but this being Thailand they have to have their own wording and not really knowing what they are doing came of with the concoction "Government insurance and tax". Surely bamboozles everybody including Thais. As Bernard Trink would say: "TIT".

LOL in LOS

Thank you Sir

as far as I knowi would doubt that a thai insurance of whatever type would cover anything related to a foreigner...maybe related to a thai national ( general health insurance green card = basic free treatment in government hospitals also accidants i think ) or to person holding a permanent visa ( well not w. 28 ) in which country the tax covers a foreigner medical bills. ?...i really doubt it that public insurance work in his case...even i was told from my friend that her friend a socialworker in a clinic is mostly working with falangs who do not have money and they still help them ...so you can see the jai dee of the thais....not all are ripp off artists OK...!!!!!.

but i feel compasionate about the australian bloke...well he might not be giftet with a einstein brain very likly cursed with much less...but u go thailand and sure u need individual transport so easy to rent a motorbike small or big no problem ...cheap (because of no insurance ) and nobody ask you about a drivers license ....well i drove bikes around along time without alicense met motorbike cops on the road had a lot of chit chat etc etc...but nobody ever ask me for a license they just checked on the helmet ...but never any accident...so people usually dont think accident...who does...a guy on steroids thinks he is superman...drives fast dies fast....= the usual....later in life ( if he make it that far ) he might be stuck with the consequences = long term problems from bad treated accidents ,likley cancer or similair from steroid abuse...etc..etc...so guys dont bash on this bloke too much ...hes just 28 and looks 38 .... sad...

If it wasn't a 650cc kawasaki or something similar has getting raped by that rental company....

Unless he is being totally ripped off, it wouldn't be just a wave. Many big scooters, and small motorcycles that would be worth that if it was a write off. Plus, they will charge every day the bill isn't paid at the cost of rental as they will say it is lost money till it is fixed or replaced. We have no idea if the bike was a write off or he just dropped it with cosmetic damage. A large motorcycle could get the bill to around that price if it just slid down the road. He said the accident wasn't his fault, so someone else was involved, so damage to the scooter and the car is the most likely scenario.

The people that hire big bikes don't have 1st class insurance in Phuket, but there are a few people with scooters who do. If anyone knows anyone in Phuket that rents big bikes with 1st class insurance, please let me know. I get many friends that come here for holidays and want this but it is not available to my knowledge. There used to be one company that had it for 650 Honda and 650 Kawasaki's, unfortunately they are out of business.

Look at Nathan's huge cosmetic muscles. He wouldn't be seen riding anything less than one of those huge cosmetic Harleys.

My guess it wouldn't be a Harley as it wold cost him around 3000 baht to 7000 baht a day to hire.

Good luck with getting anything more than 3rd class insurance for a bike/scooter under 250cc in Thailand. It doesn't exist. coffee1.gif

Scooters it is possible, but over 250cc is the problem.

Medical bills will be covered only up to a Maximum of 55000 baht per person, if the rider admits negligence. Otherwise it is around 30000 baht. Yes, you heard me right, amazing Thailand.

Look at Nathan's huge cosmetic muscles. He wouldn't be seen riding anything less than one of those huge cosmetic Harleys.

Ks45672 maybe believe Nathan rented a honda wave ... cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

"Please correct me if I am wrong:

An accident on a motorbike makes null and void your "travel Insurance""

Depends and it varies from company to company. I take out 8 months cover at a time and you have to read the Exclusions carefully. Some wont cover bike riding at all, some want a home country bike licence, some also want a holiday country licence, some restrict to 125cc etc etc

My Australian travel insurance covers me on any size motorcycle with unlimited medical, dental and all the normal covers for only $700 a year, and has been for the last 10 years. You are right, some will some won't.

Edited by aussiebrian

And of course many people rent the motorbikes but they do NOT have motorbike approved licenses in their home country. So if they did have any sort of insurance policy, I am sure many companies would cite some sentence or paragraph or clause and say they were not legally allowed to ride a motorbike and the medical or accident insurance policy is void. This is not small potatoes in this modern age.

Very simple answer, if you do not have valid insurance you should not be allowed in. What happens if there is a 3rd party involved who gets seriously injured.

O Steroids ! once a always a idiot always an idiot (edited cos I called him a t44t rhymes with cat).

I can see it now having to show a certificate of insurance on entry... fact is how will they be able to verify the good insurance from the worthless or fake???

This guy was on Australian TV last night, Chanel 9 The Embassy.

One of the embassy officers from Bangkok who was already in Phuket at the time dealt with the case

After investigation and viewing of footage the Thai Police determined that the Aussie guy did not cause the accident.

The other driver involved was covered by insurance.

What a plonker.

Not sure what plonker means, but I can see and smell the doucebaggery oozing out of every pore.

tattoos a dead giveaway he is hoodlum.

Huh? Dumb, uninformed statement. Many peoples who live in the South Pacific have tattoos - it is a part of their culture! And no, I don't have a tattoo either.

But I do have many scars from other "events", skin cancers, fighting and accidents. coffee1.gif