Getting a Thai motorcycle license with an Australian license

Kenny202

I have an Australian motorcycle license. The motorcycle license is only noted on the front of your general driving license with a letter R.....nothing states it for a motorcycle etc. I'm guessing I could download something off the internet explaining what it means and get a registered translator to do a letter or something. Has someone with an Australian license actually done this here?

Edited by Kenny202

Did u need to get it translated? I have a translation of my general Australian license but I doubt it says anything about a motorcycle. Think too much?

Last time I went to renew my standard thai license I thought I had all my ducks in a row. Still involved a trip to the docs, 2 trips to immigration, a photo shoot and 4 trips back and forward to transport dept

I also would not be too optimistic that the Khon Kaen DLT knows to read all the classes of an Australian DL.

Can YOU? whistling.gif

There is no explanation on the backside?

Thats what an IDP is for!

It reduces the complexity of the national DL to a set of 5 (?) classes A to E, stamped or not stamped.

Stamp at class "A" -> all motorcycles.

(I expect the usual "not needed", "useless" know-it-all/better posts)

It is really luck if they acknowledge one out of xx arbitrary national DLs with some arbitrary symbols, letters.

Symbols: the EU licenses tries it with symbols plus two letters.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Kenny,

in the last month I applied and got my Thai Car and motorcycle licence using my NZ licences as proof of holding said licences.

Its all quite simple and also applies to Aussie licences. Go onto the internet and look up the Aussie Govt website that deals with motorvehicle licences. There should be a page or 2 that explain what the codes mean on your licence. Print the page(s) off and take them with all the other necessary paperwork to the nearest land transport office to you.

Very simple and no driving test required.

Up here in Chiang Mai I required:

Certificate of residence (Plus copy)

Medical Certificate (Plus copy)

Copy of front page of passport (x2)

Copy of page showing visa (x2)

Copy of both sides of NZ Drivers licence (x2)

Copy of NZ Govt website explaining licence codes

The reason why I needed 2 copies of most docs is because I applied for both car and motorcycle. No eyesight test, no reaction test and all done for just 380 baht (Plus the 500 baht charge for residence certificate)

No more Checkpoint tea money coming from me!

Good luck

tried using my aussie licence to get thai licence last year, didnt work was told this is thailand.

went and renewed licence today friday 5th, took me acouple of days to get it all together.

doctors certificate, 2 trips to immergration and 2 trips to transport dept.

had to jump through all the hoops again today. was only able to get a 2yr licence.

how do i get a yellow tabian bahn book?

tried using my aussie licence to get thai licence last year, didnt work was told this is thailand.

went and renewed licence today friday 5th, took me acouple of days to get it all together.

had to jump through all the hoops again today. was only able to get a 2yr licence.

You can get a 5 year license if you hold a non-immigrant visa ( can be a multi entry ), no need to hold a yellow book.

The other guys i know who are in possession of a 5 year, have a non-b and WP.

If you think you have been short changed, print off a copy of the DLT website which shows the conditions of issue.

Your reply is a bit difficcult to follow...

you said you tried to get a Thai licence last year using the Aussie licence but no joy, yet you follow up in saying now you have been to renew you licence.

So does that mean you went through the long process in order to get a Thai drivers licence? If so for what length of time was it good for? Well actually logic dictates it was a one year licence that you obtained (If i fact you did just that)

Or are you satying that now you have applied and they have given you a 2 year licence?

Normally the first issue of a Thai licence is now 2 years. When you go to renew its a 5 year licence. The conditions in which to get the 5 year licence vary from province to province (Or perhaps from transport office to transport office). Some require medical certificate and for you to sit in on a video together with a colour recognition test and reaction test, others dont or do partially.

I didnt have a problem getting my Thai Drivers Licence and shall be helping an Aussie get his using his OZ drivers licence next week. I'll report back to how it all went.

I have to do the same procedure.

1. Go to the DLT - a request for immigration to confirm my addy.

2. Present letter to immigration

3. Return either after lunch or the next day and collect the certificate.

4. Return to DLT.

If you wish to extend your temporary, you will need to do as you say do a reaction test, colourblindness test.

Some centers don't worry about the medical certificate - i have never heard of anyone watching the DVD again unless they have let their temporary license run past 3 or more months over its expiry.

The only requirement is for a non-immigrant visa.

Print this page off

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

It seems that very few people in the DLT know the rules.

My temp license expired 7 months back, getting a 5 year was important to me as its an international, so I printed off the page, anticipating a struggle.

First they tried to fob me off with a new 2 year, until I explained to them, produced the print out and they made a call to BKK and got confirmation, then reprinted the license.

The only point of confusion is the yellow tabian baan, which would be possible if he was on a non-immigrant visa - so therefore should have got a 5 year license for his trouble.

yes i did get a temp licence last year. it was for 1 year.

i do have a non O visa renewed it last year. i did try to point out to them that i was entiteled to a 5 year licence, was informed that as i dont have a yellow book it cannot be done.

this is the phitsanulok office

i do have a non O visa renewed it last year. i did try to point out to them that i was entiteled to a 5 year licence, was informed that as i dont have a yellow book it cannot be done.

The governmental agency site clearly stipulates the conditions .. It's not really upto the issuing office.

You may have a problem reversing the decision now your license has been issued. TBH if you're happy with a 2 year, and you're not dependent on the license to ride abroad then go with it, at least you won't have to get another certificate of residence for two years.

An example of autocratic setting of "local" rules.

A certificate of residence is sufficient.

As a contrast other DLTs will not accept a yellow housebook gigglem.gif

Mine did accept last year.

TiT.

Edited by KhunBENQ

thanks fellers.

it seems that every provence has its own rules.

what a head banger.

Its not just which provincial office you go, it's which person you get in said office if they take a dislike to your face or just feel like running you around town for their own amusement. Dont take anything you read on here for granted. May be the case where they went. Quoting laws and regulations and demanding your rights will not get you anywhere either. When I went to apply for my 5 year license I was told by one dog faced woman I needed letter from immigration, passport photos and medical. When we came back and dealt with another person didn't need the photos (they take them at the office) or the medical.

Edited by Kenny202

OP ..... DLT Offices throughout Thailand have their own way dealing with foreign driving license holders applying for Thai DL's.

Some require more paperwork than others, it is just a case of going along with a smile and jump the hoops and I reckon best to take along a Thai friend.

In our area DLT my OZ mate needed a International Driving Permit ( IDP ) with his full OZ DL to get his Thai DL's.