Local police rounding up the foreigners

MaiChai

The US should seriously consider hiring the Thai police to keep up with US illegal immigrants...at this time...the US has no clue as to where they go or what they are involved in...

They know that they are needed to keep the agricultural industry afloat in the US and they leave them alone.

Otherwise lettuce would cost $100 usd per head in California!

Even higher in other parts of the country!

post-147745-0-76230000-1454589487_thumb.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it`s all to do with the TM 30 form

No, Henricus, it is not.

There is more to it than that.

I also think it is something to do with building a stronger TM 30 form compliance.

When you get your 30 day extension of stay in Jomtien there is now an extra

step with a proof of residency letter and forms. I had to bring in my condo lease

and letter from the juristic person. Never had to do that before on my 12 other triple

entry tourist visa extensions in Phuket or Jomtien.

Are they making a list?

Are they checking it twice?

Gonna find out whose naughty or nice?

When people start talking about lists ...... I think Gilbert & Sullivan (Mikado), not Santa Claus.

Am I missing something?

Or just a victim of my superior education?

"I am happy to think that there will be no difficulty in finding plenty of people whose loss will be a distinct gain to society at large"

Edited by MaeJoMTB

To me it's in the assumption that by doing these sort of "followups" that Thailand is attempting, to show a safe place to live, retire, raise a family, create a business, pay taxes by keeping out the miscreants.

IMO, follow the bouncing ball for whatever visa/extension you are on or want to be on. You will run into issues from time to time but if you follow what is published by the Thai Imm. and be well under control if something is questioned you will survive. Obviously Imm has been told to pick it up and pay attention to what they should have been doing. However, discretion is somewhat misunderstood. If you have done what's right you will be ok. Many are paying a penalty for lax attention to the rules already in place and how they could be circumvented. Many TV posters over time have proudly written about

All of this said, you can be at risk anywhere but there is too much knee jerk and face saving thinking without the root cause and proper forward thinking at the moment

Explain why the rules change from province to province, and from year to year. Get real.

The US should seriously consider hiring the Thai police to keep up with US illegal immigrants...at this time...the US has no clue as to where they go or what they are involved in...

They know that they are needed to keep the agricultural industry afloat in the US and they leave them alone.

Otherwise lettuce would cost $100 usd per head in California!

Even higher in other parts of the country!

attachicon.gifimmigration-full.jpg

When Alabama cracked down on illegal immigrants...farmers crops rotted in the field...there were no other ethnic groups willing to endure the long hours, hard and hot work...

Visa agents are the only sensible option I can see, who wants to try and be King Canute!

Farangs are not Thailand's cash cows, get over yourself.

Whatever Sunshine. Push us out and yes, there will be a dent in the GDP. You live in La La Land Province? Fine with me. Don't let me interrupt your pipe dreams.

Edited by connda

Visa agents are the only sensible option I can see, who wants to try and be King Canute!

Farangs are not Thailand's cash cows, get over yourself.

Whatever Sunshine. Push us out and yes, there will be a dent in the GDP. You live in La La Land Province? Fine with me. Don't let me interrupt your pipe dreams.

If every farang in Chiang Mai Province were deported today, GDP wouldn't even burp a fraction of a single basis point.

Pushing? Nobody is pushing legit visa holders anywhere.

But if you feel you need an excuse to leave the country and your family to live elsewhere, be my guest, sunshine!

Round up. Police were visiting all known foreigners telling them to report to local ampur police station. Not sure what would happen if you didn't go. I was being a little flippant with the title.

First visit they said they were looking for arab looking people. So if you are arab looking maybe you will be scrutinized more closely. Maybe the military government wants to keep closer tabs on foreigners?

Touch wood.....i have never had a visit from immigration, or the police. Never had any problem at immigration either, nothing that going and making another photo copy didn't cure. I have never bribed them, apart from paying 500 baht for a certificate of residency, but if you don't pay, you don't get.

Do you people steal cars, or rob banks or something?

A lot of people seem to get refused for this, and refused for that, because of missing paperwork, or worse, just having the wrong attitude. Think ahead, get what they want BEFORE going there, and be hassle free. cheers.

Like you in 20 years I have never had a problem at immigration, either in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, it makes you wonder why some people end up on the police radar.

There is always a first time!

I have never had problems except long waiting times at immigration, but I can expect problems any time. They did ask me to ask the owner of the house I live in to register me. She hasn't done that yet.

My neighbours (Koreans) had a visit by the police a few weeks ago,

One of my friends said the same as you. "What do people do wrong?' and so on. "I speak excellent Thai, if they stop me I will just joke with them."

Well, I don't wish him anything bad, but I could say "som nam na". He was stopped quite randomly and asked to produce passport with visas. He didn't have it on him, but was allowed to show it the next day at the local police station.

Never say never!

Edited by petedk

We live in a guest house. 3 foreigners, one male (me) and two females. Our rooms are 1, 2 and 3 on a role. Two police officers came with a paper with my name on it. I was not home. They sat waiting not knowing when I will come back. The two foreign ladies didn't bother to call me to tell me that the police were there for me. The officers didn't check the two foreign ladies but wanted only me. There I came and they were so delighted to see me. A police officer who is my friend had told them a lot about me and they talked it over with me. Asked for my passport and took photos of the expiration date and took photos with me too and left happily. My question is why didn't they check the two foreign ladies? They didn't ask them any questions as they told me but wanted only me and checked me. Three foreigners but checked only one. Why?. This is in Nakhon Si Thammarat in the south, late last year.

Edited by Lekong

I had a similar thing in our village Chaiyaphum. They were actually plain clothes detectives came around. As far as I know its routine.

Stood out the front of our house and took selfies of all of us. Similar thing happened we went to get some legal papers witnessed at the local cop shop. They witnessed the papers, selfies all together and then they started on the Lao (just started their shift)

What was more bizarre than that was the army turning up on the doorstep one morning at 7.00am to drag my missus and about 8 others in our moo ban off for drug testing. Was a combined police / army / local govt initiative apparently. Had nothing to worry about or hide but none the less I spent a very uncomfortable hour waiting for her to return. They said that testees were selected randomly but apparently they were selected (malisciously) by local govt people. I couldn't see it happening in a major city area. After she got back we read the letter more thoroughly and it read that they were "asking" people to go and get a check and should they prove positive they would receive a days education. Still feel strange about it now

Edited by Kenny202

What about all those situations in Pattaya where the woman rotates through guys with them each spending three months or so a year living there but none of them knowing about each other.

Those are foreign women, a Thai woman would never do that.

Are you on a tourist visa?

Did they ask about working, source of income?

(or is that only immigration who would check on that?)

Tourists carry documents showing their source of income?

What are you on?

Tourists carry a bottle of sun tan lotion, a change of underwear and a couple of swimming suits.

There has been a law for many years that requires any Thai with a foreigner living in their house to notify the local police of that foreigner living there within 24 hours of his or her arrival.

That includes foreigners with Thai spouses who live with their spouse.

The owner of the house needs to file a form with the local police.

it is true that in many areas the local police have simply paid no attention to this law in the past..

Now they are being told to pay attention by their higher-ups.

I would guess that is what is happening

According to UbonJoe, TM 30 reporting has to be done at the local immigration office, which is rather awkward if you're out in the country.

I thought you had to be a rocket scientist to play golf?

Mate, be careful out there. You're awfully exposed. Check your caddy for hidden microphones and cameras, and only use zinc on your nose. Bon chance, mon ami.

Harry Vardon once said " Give me a man with big feet, big hands and no brains and I'll make a golfer out of him".

I thought you had to be a rocket scientist to play golf?

Mate, be careful out there. You're awfully exposed. Check your caddy for hidden microphones and cameras, and only use zinc on your nose. Bon chance, mon ami.

Harry Vardon once said " Give me a man with big feet, big hands and no brains and I'll make a golfer out of him".

Or a Katoy.

What about all those situations in Pattaya where the woman rotates through guys with them each spending three months or so a year living there but none of them knowing about each other.

That is perfectly ok 'cause SHE knows them all! coffee1.gif

Touch wood.....i have never had a visit from immigration, or the police. Never had any problem at immigration either, nothing that going and making another photo copy didn't cure. I have never bribed them, apart from paying 500 baht for a certificate of residency, but if you don't pay, you don't get.

A lot of people seem to get refused for this, and refused for that, because of missing paperwork, or worse, just having the wrong attitude. Think ahead, get what they want BEFORE going there, and be hassle free. cheers.

Well the problem with you analysis is that they never ask for the same information twice, simply because they don't know what they want or they can't remember what they made up the last time.

This type of activity is on the increase, the current political situation is the problem I am afraid.

It doesnt happen to me, or my twin brother. I phone the day before going, find out what they need, its not hard mate.

Sorry, but I really don't know what goes wrong with some guys, maybe its their attitude or something, a little bit of Thai, and a wai goes a long way.

Like you in 20 years I have never had a problem at immigration, either in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, it makes you wonder why some people end up on the police radar.

There is always a first time!

I have never had problems except long waiting times at immigration, but I can expect problems any time. They did ask me to ask the owner of the house I live in to register me. She hasn't done that yet.

My neighbours (Koreans) had a visit by the police a few weeks ago,

One of my friends said the same as you. "What do people do wrong?' and so on. "I speak excellent Thai, if they stop me I will just joke with them."

Well, I don't wish him anything bad, but I could say "som nam na". He was stopped quite randomly and asked to produce passport with visas. He didn't have it on him, but was allowed to show it the next day at the local police station.

Never say never!

Of course there can always be a first time, but i was there doing my extension only 2 weeks ago, and had my new passport, and old passport. I told them i needed my stamps put in the new one, they just did it, no problem.

You said your friend "didn't have his passport on him", so he flouts the law? Another reason to have a problem then, eh? hmm. So easy to just carry a laminated copy.

I stay at my girlfriends apartment she rents..... What is the certificate of residency and us that something I should get.... I visit on tourist visas staying for 3 month periods but will be getting a non O visa this year
Its just a proof of where you live, so you can get things like bank accounts, and driving licences, etc.

If you have a yellow book, (or tabian baan) as its called in thai, you don't need to get a certificate of residency...another thing, don't just go and get one, and expect it still to be valid months later. Only get it a day or two before you need it. Cheers.

Same for me, almost 30 years in Thailand, no problems at all from police or immigration, even never anybody have been asking for a ID, lived most of the time in Bangkok, but now for 7 years outside bangkok, still no problem

I'm sure its because they don't check ahead. They go in there, and started saying "I didn't need that last year", probably loudly. Then a few F words, and a bang on the table ( seen that before), and the officers just think, he aint getting his visa today, no matter what paperwork he gets...hahaha.

Several years ago, a NZ guy i know, ( he has a bit of a temper) called me to say he was sent away for papers, 15kms, then he got to immo with that, then they asked for more, and repeated it 3 times....because he got angry, cursed them , banging his fists on the desk the first time. He just couldn't fathom out it was him, not them that was the problem.