Farang man praised for collecting litter from Hua Hin beach

webfact

Farang man praised for collecting litter from Hua Hin beach

f.jpg
Image credit: Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn

HUA HIN:-- An unidentified foreign man has won widespread praise from Thai Facebook users after he was photographed collecting litter from a beach in Hua Hin.

The photograph of the man, who is believed to be a German national, was posted by Facebook user Sattiya Juahrom on Thursday.

According to local reporter Kulsawek Sawekwannakorn, the foreign man said he loves Hua Hin and regularly cleans the beach close to Klai Kangwon palace.

He also told locals that he cares about the environment and hates seeing litter on the beach.

So far the post has been liked more than 5,000 times and has received many positive comments from local Thai people.

Some of those commenting thanked the man for caring about the beach, whilst another Facebook user said “if only there were more people like him.”

Another comment read “good job, farang!”

tvn.png
-- 2016-02-05

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's about time for the Thai to take this to heart. Thais think nothing of having a picnic on the beach, and to casually leave all empties, plastic wrappers etc. behind. They couldn't care less about the environment.

Whilst I am happy for him, I have to remember that about a year or two ago in Pattaya a Farang man was arrested for working without a work permit for doing the same and cleaning public bathrooms on the beach.facepalm.gif

Was he playing Happy Families in the toilets?

Well they sweep the streets by hand every night in the middle of the night.

They could just as easily get someone to collect the crap left on the beach but they choose not to do this for some reason unknown to us.

This is work....and we know what that means

while is is great that the falang is doing this, it would be far better if the Thai's would take the hint and quit throwing all their garbage on the ground, it not just the beach that the Thai's need a little education on cleanliness, I would like to see the Thai's getting their lazy asses off the computer (facebook) and start doing what the falang is doing! it is easy to heap praise on someone doing what they should be doing in their own country!

Whilst I am happy for him, I have to remember that about a year or two ago in Pattaya a Farang man was arrested for working without a work permit for doing the same and cleaning public bathrooms on the beach.facepalm.gif

ah ha. was he a member of the pattaya bridge club?

(Upper class) Thais are used to have staff cleaning up after themselves. This is not something to be bothered with since there are enough (low class) people swiping the streets, collecting garbage, cleaning their houses and cars, etc., etc. I believe this is a class issue in this society so most just don't care even if it involves the environment everybody should be concerned with its preservation.

Why not school the fishermen who throw all their crap off there boats every day and night with out a care. They are truly disgusting. Give out a few citations there. The beach in front of my place is littered every morning with plastic and bottles. Can't imagine all the boats on the ocean from 3rd world countries where the fisherman have no care for what they do about their trash. Welcome to the biggest garbage dump in the world.

Good on him, though he is not alone.

Did the same with partner at Kuburi beach and met a lady and son from Sweden doing the same.

A local said lots of rubbish gets washed up from the sea after bad weather.

There are others that care about the environment and not seen for their good deed in helping to clean up.

Yes, Thai Nd the government need to clean up the country by taking more care and enforcing laws concerning the environment.

Why don't they get the Thai school kids and therefore the next beach generation out there and make them clean THEIR beaches. I observed this procedere while being in Greece. School kids cleaned beaches and access roads before the tourist season started. I thought it was a smart idea and a lesson to be learned.

There is the saying "In Rome do as the Romans do" and what this farang man does reminds one that it is difficult for most farangs to adapt to local standards of blindness to litter. Although many people like him, there will be many more who will think that he is weird.

I often wish I could do the same thing by the lake near my home, where the shores and the road surrounding it are liberally strewn with litter, thus spoiling the landscape. But my wife has told me that it would shame her, because our neighbours will say that her husband is crazy. Besides, she says that an action like this would be likely to make local authorities take offence because I would be indirectly showing displeasure at the fact that they or the local officers in charge of sweeping and collecting litter neglected their duty in "cleaning" the area.

Very commendable ,but why bother?. The same beach will be filthy again in 48 hours .

Actually what he is doing is illegal. He cannot do manual labour in Thailand.

He's heading for trouble.

Why do foreigners have to clean up Thai beaches anyway???

The government is making billions of baht from tourism and they impose taxes on airline tickets.

Why dont they clean the beaches.?

I had the kids from the local school clean the village and put on food, drinks and ice creams for 120 of them after. Village was clean for 3 days and then all the rubbish started coming back. I alos sometimes have treats for the kids walking past the house after school and they know that if I see wrappers from the chup a chups or cans laying around from what I bought then that will stop. So they can do it if there is a penalty involved. The adults do not care so I stopped worrying about paying to have the village cleared of rubbish. Can only beat a dead horse so much.

Wouldn't we all, some, or just a few people do the same...

Don't let anyone litter in your own country and it won't be a news story!

When the question is asked "When do you know - You stayed in Thailand too Long?"

**Pointing out not to toss trash out the car window -- To not caring anymore..

It's much worse....

**Watching a truck come to your home - then pay them to remove shit from your septic tank -- just to see them dump the shit out down the road.. And not care anymore...

Every country has a problem no one likes..

"I Love Thailand"....

Good on him!

I pick up trash everytime I go to the beach, finding a place to dump it is hard sometimes (not many or non existant trash cans)

Thais think nothing of leaving their trash behind.

I have heard of falangs being fined on Jontiem beech a while back for leaving trash on the beach.(there excuse was nowhere to put it so they put it at the base of a tree).

Will there ever be enforcement on beaches except for the odd lunch money police on the prowl--- watch this space for many moons.

Good on you mate for showing up the lazy litter bugs.

Archived