Farang man praised for collecting litter from Hua Hin beach

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very commendable ,but why bother?. The same beach will be filthy again in 48 hours .

Actually what he is doing is illegal. He cannot do manual labour in Thailand.

He's heading for trouble.

Why do foreigners have to clean up Thai beaches anyway???

The government is making billions of baht from tourism and they impose taxes on airline tickets.

Why dont they clean the beaches.?

Obvious innit! Thais don't see rubbish !

Why don't they get the Thai school kids and therefore the next beach generation out there and make them clean THEIR beaches. I observed this procedere while being in Greece. School kids cleaned beaches and access roads before the tourist season started. I thought it was a smart idea and a lesson to be learned.

They teach the kids to throw it off the back of their motorbikes by me as they ride along......well done Thailand, land of filthy pigs

Whilst I am happy for him, I have to remember that about a year or two ago in Pattaya a Farang man was arrested for working without a work permit for doing the same and cleaning public bathrooms on the beach.facepalm.gif

I do remember the article of the Pattayaa cleaner, but they really did arrest him?

woooooooooooow

There are machines costing about the same as a rice harvester that can clean beaches quickly and efficiently. And that includes the broken bottles and disgusting no name gunk that you find on these beaches.

AND, So simple to make to be towed behind a normal tractor...

Maybe it's about time for the Thai to take this to heart. Thais think nothing of having a picnic on the beach, and to casually leave all empties, plastic wrappers etc. behind. They couldn't care less about the environment.

I din't know about your home country, but in mine the picnickers also leave their trash behind them on the beaches.

This photo would be much more surprising if it was a picture of a Thai citizen doing the same. That is, on his own without 100 friends, the press, and T-shirts for the occasion. Never to be done again

A family friend, who is a high level Thai government employee, invited me to accompany he and his wife on a tourist type trip his department payed for, to a beach town south of Bangkok (I cannot remember which town). This included other employee families as well. There were four bus' full of people that went.

The morning after arrival, all bus' took everyone to the nearby beach to pick up trash and to help save the environment. The employees picked up trash for less than 10 minutes. None of the family members picked up any trash. Family members did take pictures however.

I could barely see the difference that was made in the amount of trash still on the beach. About 50-60 government employees worked on a section of the beach 50-75 feet (15-23 meters) wide. About the same distance from the sea wall to the water. The bags of trash that collected was left in a pile on the beach.

After the less than 10 minutes of work, everyone was called together, all employees were given T-shirts proclaiming the environmental cause they were supporting, and a group picture was taken. Then each family went about their individual way, to do what ever they wanted to, until their required return to the hotel that night for a big party, of feasting, drinking and comedic entertainment.

sorry to offend but Thais are filthy pigs!

personal hygiene is ok

but they could not care less about litter In towns, on beaches in the countryside or on their own property

basically its a lack of education interest pride no financial incentive

Remember we are dealing with natives!

Whilst I am happy for him, I have to remember that about a year or two ago in Pattaya a Farang man was arrested for working without a work permit for doing the same and cleaning public bathrooms on the beach.facepalm.gif

Times have changed. Trash Hero Thailand has close to twelve chapters mostly south of Bkk in the beach resort places. After a over half a year's work the Daughter of the King and Queen of Thailand gave an environmental award to Trash Hero Thailand for best environmental contribution to the country. Google it ...

Authorities all over Thailand will now NOT TOUCH the subject - it is now defacto legal activity for Farangs....

In Ao Nang, Krabi we just completed our 50th. Beach Cleanup activity since January 2015 with both Thai and Farang volunteers... Our efforts and the Award has caused local Merchant Associations, local Hotels and Resorts, local Government, local schools and the local Park Services to join in the beach and park cleanup.

Ao Nang Beach and Nopparat Thara Beach are the cleanest they have ever been... We take out hundreds of Kilos of trash and clean and clear many hundreds of meters of beach area each Sunday. This is only possible because the Thai locals mentioned above are doing their part.

All is not perfect - but we are making headway and getting the attention of the Thai people - setting the example.

Check Out:

https://www.facebook.com/trashheroaonang/

https://www.facebook.com/trashherothailand/?fref=ts

This initiative has gone into the Islands off Krabi and Trash Hero even has groups in such places as Indonesia.

And Ladies and Gentleman it does not have to be a beach to form a Trash Hero Chapter... how about river banks, lakes and ponds, and parks all over Thailand ... It is legal now - well - allowed and will not be challenged... so there is not excuse anymore... Set the Example in Your Area...

This man should be praised for his acts of kindness, and for doing what needs to be done. But, also the city of Hua Hin has to take some responsibility. It costs them next to nothing to hire a beach clean up crew, to clean all of the beaches, on a daily basis. Where is the pride?

Archived