Murder and rape reignites death penalty campaign

webfact

Murder and Rape Reignites Death Penalty Campaign
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14545872931454587306l.jpg
Police lead four suspects in a “reenactment” Tuesday to the spot in the jungle in Phatthalung province where they allegedly murdered a man and sexually assaulted his girlfriend Jan. 31.

BANGKOK — A horrific murder and rape in southern Thailand has sparked a campaign to prevent death sentences from being overturned for those convicted of deadly sexual assaults.

Spearheaded by actress-turned-activist Panadda Wongphudee, its supporters call for an end to the right of convicted murderer-rapists to seek sentence reductions or pardons, which campaigners said allow the perpetrators to leave prison too soon and go on to repeat their crimes.

The petition comes in reaction to a group of men accused of holding a young woman in a jungle hut in Phatthalung province for three days before sexually assaulting her in front of her boyfriend, who they then killed, and leaving her for dead.

Although none of the four suspects arrested Monday is known to have been convicted of such acts or received early release from prison, the horror of the crime has again tapped into a well of anger over violence against women and the perception that the law does not take it seriously.

“They confessed and they are minors, so they will certainly get a reduced sentence, but they don't look repentant [on TV] at all," Panadda said. "So what can we do to make sure that they will really change their way?"

Source: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454587293&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-05

Celebrity kicks off signature collection campaign for harsher penalties against rapist-murders

0402006-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An outspoken celebrity on Thursday kicked off a campaign to solicit public support for her call to put an end to commuted sentences for rapist-murders.

Ms Panadda “Boom” Wongphudee who is also an actress earlier posted a message in her Facebook page and Instagram urging members of the public to sign in support of her call for harsher penalties against rapist-murderers. She expects to collect up to 100,000 signatures after which she will submit her petition together with the collected signatures to the National Legislative Assembly.

The campaigner set up a table at Siam Square shopping mall on Thursday to collect signatures from shoppers and passers-by.

“I came here today not because I am an actress but a mother who has a daughter. But I want to see our society safer. I don’t know whether the case of a rape victim being thrown into a ravine (the gruesome rape and murder case in Phatthalung province) will be tried in an adult court or not,” she said.

Ms Panadda said she would like all parties concerned to come together for discussion on the matter to find solution to the rape-murder issue. She admitted that legal approach is not the best solution to the problem which involves ethics and family institution.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/149550

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-02-05

And right she is too, if a man selling 200 tablets gets 50 years then these clowns deserve a sentence at least 10 times harsher. These are the sort of people who society needs protection from on an indefinite basis, which some would argue supports an argument for the death penalty. In cases such as this, where the crime is so appalling, and the perpetrators' demeanour on arrest / interrogation so flippant, then what argument for a sentence any less than death could there be.

And what will this mean for the Burmese boys convicted of rape and murder on Koh Tao?

Nothing: they pleade ''not guilty'' so there is no reduction in sentence. Remember that despite having the best police force in the world (Chief of police qoute LMFAO), the Thai justice system leans more towards convictions than justice.

Missing loads of info on this case or maybe it's covered elsewhere.

The scumbags have done this before and the local politician/gangster got them off as he thought they would learn to do better in life????

This time he publicly refused to help saying they deserve to be punished.

One of the culprits was laughing as he was telling his story on TV.

They shot the BF and he didn't die so they stabbed him and he still didn't die so they shot him again. The young lady was stabbed and thrown down a ravine.

SHE WAS ALSO 2 MONTHS PREGNANT.

This is Koh Tao all over again. The scum are protected and will get a pardon when the publicity dies down. But I'm forgetting, Thais don't comit crimes like these.......

"It's supporters call for an end to the right of convicted murderer-rapists to seek sentence reductions"

"The petition comes in reaction to a group of men accused of holding a young woman in a jungle hut in Phatthalung province for three days before sexually assaulting her in front of her boyfriend, who they then killed, and leaving her for dead."

Horrific experience for the young woman. But it seems that the abduction and murder of her boyfriend is being forgotten in all of this. I can only imagine how his family would feel reading a Thai version of this piece and seeing the death of their boy being relegated to a side note.

Missing loads of info on this case or maybe it's covered elsewhere.

The scumbags have done this before and the local politician/gangster got them off as he thought they would learn to do better in life????

This time he publicly refused to help saying they deserve to be punished.

One of the culprits was laughing as he was telling his story on TV.

They shot the BF and he didn't die so they stabbed him and he still didn't die so they shot him again. The young lady was stabbed and thrown down a ravine.

SHE WAS ALSO 2 MONTHS PREGNANT.

This is Koh Tao all over again. The scum are protected and will get a pardon when the publicity dies down. But I'm forgetting, Thais don't comit crimes like these.......

"One of the culprits was laughing as he was telling his story on TV."

Welcome to the Land of Smies.

And what will this mean for the Burmese boys convicted of rape and murder on Koh Tao?

Nothing.

A.the law is not being changed presently. She is just making a petition to have it changed.

B. If a law is changed, but the case is in the courts during the change, whichever law is most favourable towards the defendant is used. So if harsher penalty came out it would not effect them.

Who cares? they should get the death penalty too, but if just a prison sentence, then I guess other prisoners will deal out some prison justice.

As most of them will have wives, girlfriends or daughters... I think their days are numbered, and hopefully a small number !!

I'm all for the death penalty for perpetrators of heinous crimes convicted beyond any doubts.

Doesn't apply to the two Burmese, obviously. I still think they are the likely culprits but police has screwed up too much to say that they are guilty beyond any doubts.

Who cares? they should get the death penalty too, but if just a prison sentence, then I guess other prisoners will deal out some prison justice.

As most of them will have wives, girlfriends or daughters... I think their days are numbered, and hopefully a small number !!

For crimes such as this, where the accused voluntarily confess, supported by the testimony of the surviving witness ( had she not survived, i doubt there would have been a confession), I wholeheartedly concurr that the maximum penalty should be given

Cases such as this make me think that the medieval practice of hanging, drawing, disembowelling and quartering should be reintroduced

That said, I'm more than surprised that someone can still be so vehement about the B2 case, when it is so widely recognized by international observers, amongst others, that the B2 onviction was based on unverifiable evidence... Which translates legally as reasonable doubt

Whilst not wanting to reignite that seemingly endless thread of a few weeks ago, I will be a very interested observer of the appeal process

As to the origional question, I believe it is generally customary to apply the changes to a law only to people convicted after the date of the enactment of the law, so effect on the B2 sentencing... That can only change by appeal or royal clemency.

Personally, I believe the authorities will want that pair dead and buried sooner than later

• 1 month later...

But; But, ''No Thai person could ever do a thing like this ''.......Lol.

him possessed by evil FOREIGN spirit, him no thai people, him no have powerful amulette hence him have devil inside, him solly solly vely big, eaten rice yet ?

Edited by stickylies