Need to hire lawyer in Samui to go to SuratThani to get International Driver's Permit for me

I was wondering if someone could recommend a lawyer in Samui who could go to the SuratThani land transportation office to obtain an international driver's permit for my wife. I previously posted something on Thai visa asking people how to get one and they told me all of the requirements, which she obtained, and then we went to the Thai LTO in Lippa Noi only to be told they no longer do them there and that we must go to SuratThani to do it. I've never been to SuratThani and have little to no desire to spend whole day going to and from there and deal with government bureaucracies, so I was thinking that there must be a way to do a power of attorney document or similar and then send someone there who regularly makes the trip from Samui to SuratThani and back as part of their normal routine. Does anyone know someone in Samui who does this sort of thing?

Well I conclude by all the replies that my suspicions are correct, and that is no lawyer anywhere can be bothered to do such a menial task, yet alone one on Samui.

As you have described above that it is for your wife, the simplest remedy I can recommend is just send her to do it herself.

But first, please check the facts and see if it necessary at all-

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Publication/MTDSG/Volume%20I/Chapter%20XI/XI-B-1.en.pdf

If you are travelling to a backward country where the authorities have little knowledge of such affairs (such as the USA), I would further recommend you first print out the treaty in its entirety. When she is driving, keep the printout close by for reference in case of any dealings with an officer of the law, who may or may not be aware of such legalities.

Should further action be necessary, any money that would have been used on a Samui lawyer could be utilised for a local lawyer instead.

Further to note from your post above, do not ever sign a power of attorney. While it does not guarantee a carefree life, I strongly recommend you think very carefully where you place two things-

1) your signature

and/ or

2) your male sexual organ

I hope this has been of some assistance.

Edited by 2020

Thanks. I doubt my wife would be able to have the patience to deal with the thai bureaucracy. It does require an incredible amount of patience. And I like to think I have much more than her, and I've already had enough BS with this one.

We are going to Spain and I was once arrested and had car impounded while in Spain while traveling as a US citizen and renting a car from Hertz in Madrid and only providing my NY state driver's license, without an IDP. The police said the main issue was that my license was only in english and that they couldn't read it, despite me explaining to them, and they perfectly understanding, that car = coche! It cost several days of vacation time lost and about 1500 euros. Not an experience I want to try to recreate, hence my quest to get her an international license. Her only license is here in Thailand, so no other options. And, thanks for telling me about the treaty but while I am sure the treaty you mentioned is totally legitimate, based on my prior experiences, trying to explain this to a hillbilly spanish police officer in some remote part of the middle of nowhere in spain in the middle of the night isn't exactly my Plan A.

BTW, I've signed power of attorney forms and if they are limited in scope and duration, even in Thailand, they should be sufficient. And, especially if you have no assets or anything else to lose, I wouldn't think there would be much that they could do even if they wanted to cheat you, do you?

You are thinking like an American.

You do not need a lawyer. A lawyer to do this job would be a bad mistake.

You just go to any vehicle inspection garage and they offer DLT services.

This is not America. Don't use a lawyer here unless absolutely necessary.

Sure, fair enough. I just want her to get one without having to get on a boat and spend a day in Surat Thani. I've never been there before, and have never had no desire to go there, even when airfares are like 75% cheaper, and certainly have no desire to go there for this. Do you have any other suggestions on how to best get one other than by actually going there?

This might be a good option - You just go to any vehicle inspection garage and they offer DLT services - but do you know any in Samui that would actually do this, or even a few suggestions and I could stop by and ask them if they could do this?

The way I read it is this-

Your previous experience with Spanish authorities causes you great concern, and your previous experience with Thai authorities also causes you great concern. You have my sympathies on both counts.

Both are legitimate and I now see your predicament somewhat clearer. Furthermore, but without any knowledge of the applicable laws in Spain, the officer/s there may well be correct as well. Also note, if they couldn't read your license they sure as hell won't be able to read a U.N. Treaty.

Option 1- Take the time to travel to Suratthani for the IDP, but spend a few days checking out the surrounding area. You will find cleaner, quieter beaches, cheaper hotels and resorts, taxi's, food etc and may well never return to Samui.

I recommend checking out Khanom district to the west of Suratthani-

Photos-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=khanom+thailand&biw=1280&bih=631&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6jb6ru-PKAhVNHY4KHX7NAkcQsAQIOQ

Info-

http://wikitravel.org/en/Khanom

Option 2- Get a certified translation of your wife's and/ or your license to take with you to Spain, or get one when you land in Spain. As soon as practical, visit a lawyers office (if possible a large partnership with regional offices) and just briefly explain your concerns to them and ask for a business card, carry this in your possession at all times. Should you find yourself in a similar situation with the police as the last time, remember to call them immediately and explain the situation. If you or your wife are capable, act politely but with authority in your interactions with police as well as it should also help serve as a deterrent to the officer/s. Remember, life is a stage and we all play our part. Police and legal professionals all know each other from many previous dealings and it should be sorted very quickly.

That's about all I can think of for now. Hope it helps.

p.s. The advice about the power of attorney was just general advice. I've seen mothers sell their son's house, sisters sell their sisters house, estate agents cut and paste signatures then photocopy and say it's a copy of the original which you have lost (looks perfect too), and 60 year old retirees have to head back to work, all because of a power of attorney.

Don't the US Embassy in Thailand offer to issue IDP for US citizens (OP), just like at least some other countries Embassies does...?

My country's Embassy inform, that if you have a Thai Drivers License valid for more than 1 year you can also apply for Thai IDP; you need to bring your passport with non-immigrant visa and 2 passport-size photos – check with the province where to apply (Surat Thani?).

If she had an American license she could just order one online from the aaa website for $15 and they'd just mail it to her, but she only learned how to drive and only got her first license here in Thailand, so that limits her. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is one of many problems living on Samui.

I suggest traveling to Suratthani and just doing what is required. Do not complicate things.

I had to go to Surat last year as the Girlfriend sold her Honda which was bought new on the Island.

The Transfer had to be affected there...Whole day gone.TIT.

I have found some more useful informatiion here-

http://www.aaa.com/Vacation/idpf.html

and faq's here-

http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpfaqc.html

And it appears in the faq that the local Spanish Police were correct as well...

Am I required to have an IDP in foreign countries?
There are some countries that do not recognize a drivers license from the United States, but officially recognize an IDP (e.g. Hungary). There are other countries that honor a United States drivers license, but require a local language translation (e.g. Spain). The IDP can satisfy these types of situations. Keep in mind, however, that while a certain country’s government may not require an IDP, car rental companies located in that country, such as Hertz, may require an IDP to rent a car. Purchasing an IDP prior to departure can save a lot of potential hassles.
NOTE: If you are living permanently in a foreign country, even though you may still hold a U.S. state issued driver's license, you mustabide by local driver's licensing laws. Many countries require that you obtain a local license once you take up employment and/or residency.

Hope it helps in your travels.

• 2 weeks later...

Khanom is East of Suratthani, not West...

Did you get the IDP ?

East?

Khanom (Thai: ขนอม) is the northernmost district (Amphoe) of Nakhon Si Thammarat Province, southern Thailand.

The district is located in the north of the province. To the west is Surat Thani Province, while to the north and east is the Gulf of Thailand. Neighboring districts are (from the south clockwise) Sichon of Nakhon Si Thammarat and Don Sak of Surat Thani.

Did you get the IDP ?

East?

Khanom (Thai: ขนอม) is the northernmost district (Amphoe) of Nakhon Si Thammarat Province, southern Thailand.

The district is located in the north of the province. To the west is Surat Thani Province, while to the north and east is the Gulf of Thailand. Neighboring districts are (from the south clockwise) Sichon of Nakhon Si Thammarat and Don Sak of Surat Thani.

Yes, East... Pretty much direct East of Suratthani city.

Look on a map :)

Edited by cornishcarlos

Did you get the IDP ?

East?

Look on a map smile.png

Rooo's map is upside down smile.png

map-australia.jpg

Edited by evadgib

Did you get the IDP ?

East?

Look on a map smile.png

Rooo's map is upside down smile.png

map-australia.jpg

We do ave a different perspective from Down Under . But te info I posted is from Wiki, perhaps they are from down under too? O by te way I also have a property around there & damned if I can see Surat town to my West. I can see Surat province.rolleyes.gif

Edited by Rooo

• 2 weeks later...