Overstay and needing to fly domestic

I just realized my 30 day expired a few days ago and need to fly this weekend for Chinese New Year to Chiang Mai with the family. Can I use any US issued ID for flight travel within Thailand or only passport? I carry a passport card as well. I know they say its only good for Mexico, Canada, and Caribbean areas. But have used it for a few things here in Thailand.

At domestic flights they only check the name on your ID or passport and compare with the booking/boarding pass.

No (immigration) police.

Your 30 day has expired and you are traveling.

Just saying: the risk to be caught may be low but existing. S... happens.

Get clear as soon as possible.

Can you extend by 30 days (or already done)?

It's Friday noon, most immigration offices are open till 16h.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

DO NOT FLY!

Your name will be checked because you are a foreigner. I know this, because I tried before and I was caught by immigration police after I landed.

After the missing Malaysian flight, every foreigner is checked even when flying domestic.

Don't listen to the people saying it's ok.

• Like 1

DO NOT FLY!

Your name will be checked because you are a foreigner. I know this, because I tried before and I was caught by immigration police after I landed.

After the missing Malaysian flight, every foreigner is checked even when flying domestic.

And if you get nailed by immigration waiting for you in Chiang Mai, you have just multiplied the pain of taking care of the overstay, since the immigration offices there are known to be subpar, and you will be a long way from any possible documents you may need from back here, with possibly no means of return.

• Like 2

I am completely confident that I could board a domestic flight in Thailand with a library card so long as it had my photo on it.

There is no problem with boarding a domestic flight and flying within Thailand for the OP, but as others have pointed out if they are doing checks then he maybe greeted at his destination by immigration.

It is a bit like poking a snake with a very short stick, it does not always turn out well.

So if you can afford it,take care of the overstay problem now and if you don't have the funds for overstay but can afford to fly domestic,then you don't belong here.Get the hell out and quit being a bum hope the BIB are checking docs at the airport just for you.

So if you can afford it,take care of the overstay problem now and if you don't have the funds for overstay but can afford to fly domestic,then you don't belong here.Get the hell out and quit being a bum hope the BIB are checking docs at the airport just for you.

You are such a caring sweet person. Bet your address book with all your friends names and addresses in is really full blink.png . Where does it say he has no money? He is on a 30 day visa. Obviously a tourist so has flown in recently so had money for that. He is on holiday so I would venture to guess he bought funds with him for that. Yor TV name does not fit well with your comments. Sanukjim? Happyjim?

• Like 2

Thanks for the advise and recommendations. Was able to get the extension taken care of, without too much hassle. On a side note.....some person really needs to be more happy. He sent such kind and thoughtful words with us all. And those were needed about as much as an elevator in an outhouse. Next time answer the question without spreading your hate around. It would do us all a favor.

FYI~I am not a 'tourist'. I have never needed to get any type of visa due to my normal travel habits in and out of this place. Normally in for 3 weeks or less every 3-4 months. Sucks I only see my Thai wife for that little but it is what it is for now.

• Like 1

DO NOT FLY!

I've flown lots of times on overstay, didn't have immigration police waiting for me on landing. That seems like a waste of their resources for simple overstay. If the person had an arrest warrant out for them for other reasons, then I could believe it. Checks would be made for that kind of thing, but overstayers? They aren't a national security risk, they simply pay the fine when they exit the country and are allowed straight back in.

DO NOT FLY!

I've flown lots of times on overstay, didn't have immigration police waiting for me on landing. That seems like a waste of their resources for simple overstay. If the person had an arrest warrant out for them for other reasons, then I could believe it. Checks would be made for that kind of thing, but overstayers? They aren't a national security risk, they simply pay the fine when they exit the country and are allowed straight back in.

You don't believe a first hand report!

I believe you cleared your overstay some time ago so why don't you think things may have changed. It would be easy for airlines to pass on a passenger list to immigration. I'm pretty sure terrorists and other criminals don't abide by immigration law so, in some cases, overstayers are a national security risk.

Given the current situation regarding terrorism and immigration finally being allowed to get tough with overstayers an airport is probably best avoided, if on overstay, unless you are flying out of the country.

DO NOT FLY!

You don't believe a first hand report!

I believe you cleared your overstay some time ago so why don't you think things may have changed. It would be easy for airlines to pass on a passenger list to immigration. I'm pretty sure terrorists and other criminals don't abide by immigration law so, in some cases, overstayers are a national security risk.

Given the current situation regarding terrorism and immigration finally being allowed to get tough with overstayers an airport is probably best avoided, if on overstay, unless you are flying out of the country.

Well I neither disbelieve nor believe the "first hand report".

But do I believe that all domestic airlines pass passenger manifests to immigration in real time? No, I don't.

Had a friend that travelled on Air Asia if i remember correctly on an Asian non international driving licence within Thailand. So anything with a picture on it may do, although you could call the airline and ask them. Tell them your passport is with the Chinese embassy and you need to urgently fly tomorrow.

PS: Walking on the street with overstay is a risk at the end of the day anyways. And they do check some buses. Rarely, but they do.

Edited by lkv

Makes no difference to me what anyone believes.

Just don't be surprised when you have 3 immigration police holding a clipboard with all your information and picture waiting for you in the arrival hall. ;)