Buying a motorcycle from a dealer in CM without a Residency Cert.

mamborobert

Just went into a Honda dealer that I have bought two Honda Clicks from before (new) and was "looking" at next purchase.

Usually I have supplied a residency certificate and passport etc and the dealer has done the transfer, i drive of he lot and pick up the green book later no problems.

As my visit today was somewhat unplanned I did not have a Residency Certificate and it was strongly suggested that the dealership could still arrange the Green Book and transfer by seeing my rental agreement and/or license plus passport with valid Non O visa..

Have never heard/experienced this before. Dealer is reputable and as stated I have used them twice before and am confident with their service (including after sales).

Has anybody done this before for a new bike from a dealer in CM?

Thanks....

As this is Thailand, corners can be cut by a nod from the right person.

The procedure for me to obtain one is convoluted and one time I was in possession of an out of date photocopy of a certificate, it's not the first time i had been to this DLT before and the counter girl said "leave it with me" 5 mins later it was OK to use.

On another occasion and different office it was OK to use an out of date certificate to get a 5 year drivers license because someone thought I was a buddy of the boss guy sitting at the back of the room.

If you watch the big dealers come in, they bypass the counter staff and head straight to the guy at the back of the room.

I'm sure for regular customers like yourself - rules can be bent.

Certainly the process is much more lenient when buying a new vehicle via a dealer, I have used a copy of a residence certificate via a dealer where a genuine certificate is required if you go to the office yourself.

Also, the residency certificate is only good for 30 days or so, but it ALWAYS takes more then 30 days before the vehicle is registered so even if you supply a residency certificate it will have expired before the actual registration.

An hour at immigration to get a residency certificate. Not a big deal, but if the dealer

says he can do it just give him the information and let him have at it. They are connected

and know there way around/through regulations. You are a returning, repeat customer

that they want to keep happy. thumbsup.gif

Mazda CNX registered my car with my BKK yellow tabien baan, with CNX number and BKK address. So there are no real hard rules. Thais move around all the time and they just need to be registered somewhere. If you have a non-immi visa I suppose that is sufficient for that registration purpose.

Archived