5 Year DL Renewal

Beng

You should renew it after expiry, not earlier. This will give you almost another year validity till your next birthday.

I don't know if it is in the meantime possible to renew in advance. Usual timeframe is 1 month, longer and they asked to come again later.

You should renew it after expiry, not earlier. This will give you almost another year validity till your next birthday.

I don't know if it is in the meantime possible to renew in advance. Usual timeframe is 1 month, longer and they asked to come again later.

Told me today can renew one month in advance.

They didn't ask me for any documents when I renewed my licenses last year. I wasn't aware that there is a requirement for old people to get another health check. If it's as thorough as the initial exam, Lazaras will be able to qualify.

50 baht max at a Thai clinic,providing you are still breathing and able to stand up without assistance.

I renewed my Thai DL less than 30 days ago and I didn't need it.

My pinned topic showing photos of the requirements also doesn't show it as a requirement for renewal. My 5 to 5 also didn't require one <medical>. From what I recall, you can apply up to 45 days in advance.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787788-drivers-license-procedures-chiang-mai/

Oopsie, I've let my five year license expire, about three weeks ago. Am I going to have to take a written and driving test or will they let me just show up with the med. cert. and cert. of res. and some money and that will be enough?

Oopsie, I've let my five year license expire, about three weeks ago. Am I going to have to take a written and driving test or will they let me just show up with the med. cert. and cert. of res. and some money and that will be enough?

You will be fine and just the normal application and procedures. Believe you have up to 1 year to renew.

In BKK you need a medical cert for renewal. Maybe another case of locally different ways to do things. Will give it a try in CNX in May. That will be with an additional twist as I'll try with my BKk yellow tabien baan. Worked for car registration.

You will be fine and just the normal application and procedures. Believe you have up to 1 year to renew.

Isn't Thailand great? I want a TDL just because it's a good I.D., gets me senior discounts at the movie theaters and my U.S. drivers license expired ages ago, so if I ever go someplace where I want to rent a car, I need a valid driver's license. The fact that I haven't driven a car for over 8 years doesn't seem to be a concern, I guess, and I doubt I'd pass an actual driving test even here in Thailand.

Isn't Thailand great? I want a TDL just because it's a good I.D., gets me senior discounts at the movie theaters and my U.S. drivers license expired ages ago, so if I ever go someplace where I want to rent a car, I need a valid driver's license. The fact that I haven't driven a car for over 8 years doesn't seem to be a concern, I guess, and I doubt I'd pass an actual driving test even here in Thailand.

It's good that you let it expire as you will now get close to six years.

I renewed my Thai DL less than 30 days ago and I didn't need it.

My pinned topic showing photos of the requirements also doesn't show it as a requirement for renewal. My 5 to 5 also didn't require one <medical>. From what I recall, you can apply up to 45 days in advance.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787788-drivers-license-procedures-chiang-mai/

Thanks mate, good one.

Hope it doesn't always take 3 and a half hours.

Six years instead of five years. What a wonderful world this is!

I've been thinking about this phenomenon. Figuring that it takes about an hour to renew a license...

5 years x 365 days x 24 hours = 43,800 hours... so renewing a license takes 1/43,000 of the time

Compared with;

6 years x 365 days x 24 hours = 52,560 hours... renewing takes 1/52,560 out of one's day.

Yeah... I can see why this is so important... (Or is it the financial savings, amortized over the next 15 (18?) years that makes it so great?)

I've been thinking about this phenomenon. Figuring that it takes about an hour to renew a license...

5 years x 365 days x 24 hours = 43,800 hours... so renewing a license takes 1/43,000 of the time

Compared with;

6 years x 365 days x 24 hours = 52,560 hours... renewing takes 1/52,560 out of one's day.

Yeah... I can see why this is so important... (Or is it the financial savings, amortized over the next 15 (18?) years that makes it so great?)

Metinks you tink too much. "...renewing takes 1/52,560 out of one's day.?" No, you had it right the first time, it takes about an hour. wai2.gif

Compared with;

You can delay the next license renewal by one year. So you're sitting around stroking your...er guitar ..and you notice it's been five years since your last DL expired. You need to go renew it...but wait...you can delay it until tomorrow..and the next day...and keep doing that for another year. More time to play with your ...guitar!

Edited by mesquite

Compared with;

Metinks you tink too much. "...renewing takes 1/52,560 out of one's day.?" No, you had it right the first time, it takes about an hour. wai2.gif

I stand corrected. I meant to say 1/52,560 out of one's existence. I can't deal in hours. Too limiting. :)

Compared with;

It's important, because you only have to go through this palava every 6 years, rather than 5. Up 2 you, as they say.....

5 year license,

You have 3 years to renew without any requirement for a medical.

5 year license,

So it does, plus starting everything else over including tests. Need to look at my own posts in the pinned topic. smile.png

post-566-0-12195200-1454757284_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

5 year license,

Does that mean that we're potentially up to an 8-year licence? If so, I guess some numbers are going to have to be recalculated.