Pai in Pictures

camble

On 7/2/2016 at 1:26 AM, off road pat said:

well,...I'm sorry to disappoint you but the Bangkok Post did a survey and a following article years ago, (At the time Thaksin Shinawatra wanted quality ("rich") tourists) ... About backpackers been the best tourists for the economy. Most are not rich but they spend money in small guest houses, little shops, restaurants, buses, and other forms of transport.. etc.....and the money is used by those small businesses for there daily life.....they learn things, make friends for life, go home with beautiful travel story's, tell friends, and are sure to come back....As for the other tourists, ? they book everything in there respectively country's.... and the money stays abroad and is reinvested in other country's, but only a small portion is spend in Thailand as such.....most of those tourists eat and have dinner at there Internationally company owed hotels and dear not eat outside. They only go on tours that are included in the package and were payed in advance.....come back home with story's of ripoff's, theft's etc....

Conclusion !!! the Banana Pancake tourist were the best for the country's economy !,...this suited me very well, as I was one of them ! and 30 years later, I couldn't be more happy I traveled this way.....!..I saw Pai, Koh Samui, Ankor Wat, Hanoi, Hoi an, Hue, and a incredible list of more places.. 30 years ago, like nobody will see it again !!! ever !!!

Best regards, Off Road Pat

Surely you jest..., you saw Ankor, Hanoi, Hoian and Hue 30 years ago ?..., yeah right ....., haaaaa 
If memory serves the Ankor area was mined and there were even still some skirmishes between invading Vietnamese and rag tag remnants of Pol Pot's thugs in that area. Vietnam itself hadn't yet opened it's borders to to western independent travellers in 87'.
There's always someone who wants to grandstand and use too many exclamation marks......,

6 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

Surely you jest..., you saw Ankor, Hanoi, Hoian and Hue 30 years ago ?..., yeah right ....., haaaaa 
If memory serves the Ankor area was mined and there were even still some skirmishes between invading Vietnamese and rag tag remnants of Pol Pot's thugs in that area. Vietnam itself hadn't yet opened it's borders to to western independent travellers in 87'.
There's always someone who wants to grandstand and use too many exclamation marks......,

Pffffttt,.....try to take pictures like that now with the tourists around, when I was there I saw only 7 white people  in Siam Reap in a whole week !!! the friend that took this pictures included....i took a lot more pics. I have diminished the quality if these intentionally.

The Khmer rouge were around and it was heavily mined. but I was there anyway.

Angkor Wat-(4).jpg

Angkor Wat-(1)_Snapseed.jpg

Angkor Wat-(2)_Snapseed.jpg

8 hours ago, off road pat said:

Pffffttt,.....try to take pictures like that now with the tourists around, when I was there I saw only 7 white people  in Siam Reap in a whole week !!! the friend that took this pictures included....i took a lot more pics. I have diminished the quality if these intentionally.

The Khmer rouge were around and it was heavily mined. but I was there anyway.

Angkor Wat-(4).jpg

Angkor Wat-(1)_Snapseed.jpg

Angkor Wat-(2)_Snapseed.jpg

PPft indeed..., still grandstanding..., while seemingly discounting/dismissing others posts because they were there after you...., you wearing it like a badge....., giving yourself some kind of "I was there first" medal ?
And Vietnam...., before the country had opened up to independent western tourists ? 
Good to see you've kept the exclamation marks in their scabbard though ?

5 hours ago, Sandy Freckle said:

PPft indeed..., still grandstanding..., while seemingly discounting/dismissing others posts because they were there after you...., you wearing it like a badge....., giving yourself some kind of "I was there first" medal ?
And Vietnam...., before the country had opened up to independent western tourists ? 
Good to see you've kept the exclamation marks in their scabbard though ?

I am not a tourist, I am a World traveler, !!! I could post Pictures of Vietnam from the same period the country that you said was not open to western tourists, I was one of the first if not the first,.. yessss,......but sins i have been there extensively many times in those 30 years you couldn't see the difference between the first and later ones.....! I'll try Hanoi more than 30 years ago !!! The bamboo bridge that don't exist anymore, in Hoi Ahn more than 30 y. ago, and Tam Kok before and now If you have been to these places you will know that you will never see it this way anymore....it's gone forever...

Hanoi (87).jpg

Hanoi (94).jpg

Hoi An- 014.jpg

Hué- 014.jpg

Hoi An- 009.jpg

Hoi an- 073.jpg

Ha Long Bay- 011.jpg

36 minutes ago, off road pat said:

I'll post a few more pictures later.....with exclamation marks,....!

Please do, o r pat, either in this thread or in any other that you think might be more appropriate.

I, for one, would love to see them!!!!

On 2016-02-07 at 8:02 AM, Trujillo said:

"Banana Pancake Trail"? I don't get it.

It's "not the road to Hana"? If you mean Maui, Hawaii, sure, it's missing the ocean.

The 'banana-pancake' is the favorite backpacker food choice, next to Pad Thai. The flippity flop crowd travels lite.

Looks like a lot of smoke in the atmosphere of the sunset shot....  for Feb.06 ?

Good shots though!

Archived