Ferry Problems.

Rooo

The recruiters must be hiring ferry skippers from the same pool of unemployed as the jet ski, bus, and mototcycle taxie groups.

Might be that what they do with the drunk drivers whose vehicle they impound for the 4 or 5 day time. I am not sure where a indivivual is most at risk in this country on the water or the roads. I suspect it the water if its calcuated by number utilizing either and use a % of injury/accidents vs numbers

Its almost like they have a death wish, thus live on the wild side. The longivity of Thais as published is hard to believe when you look at the numbers killed/injured via accidents in everything/occuption. Although the monks seem fairly safe, but recently there are even exceptions there it seems.

The Seatran ferries were cancelled today. So Raja saw an opportunity?

I suppose so, they had a backlog of cars, this particular one is a smaller ferry. No one knows what's going on, lots of scared people, stuck in the water in the dark.

Any update?

Still stuck out there. Wind dying down so hope they can dock soon. No collision, just ferry next to it stabilising it as far as I can gather.

Ok thanks for that, if its relatively close to shore, you would hope rescue efforts could be made. By all accounts the sea's even on the big Lomprayh were horrific yesterday, so if it was out on the open ocean, i think only a Navy vessel would have any ability to assist. But with their satellite they are probably held up somewhere comfy long before the big stuff came.

Did intend to use the sea crossing route across to Samui from the mainland instead of the plane, then I discovered the reviews on Trip Advisor researching the journey as the saying goes "worst things happen at sea" and apparently on the roads oh yes and also on the trains according to eye witness Trip advisors.

Have used USM-ferries countless times without any problem. Once high waves, so a bit difficult to dock at that day.

BTW, that seem to be the case also today according to Rooo's last post, which is a complete other league than collided ferries.

Hopefully it is. Waiting for more news.....

so you wasted one hour and 15 minutes of you life?

What are you talking about? There was a ferry stuck on the water with passengers & I wasted an hour of my life? You go & get a life, at least I have some concern for people & their well being..

Hey Samui people! How's the weather today? How are the seas today?!

I'm coming over from mainland to KP on the Lomprayah cat on thursday, i sure hope you get waves and weather returned to usual service by then!

I have deliberately avoided getting the Raja car ferry.

Calm me down with some good news folks!

Hey Samui people! How's the weather today? How are the seas today?!

I'm coming over from mainland to KP on the Lomprayah cat on thursday, i sure hope you get waves and weather returned to usual service by then!

I have deliberately avoided getting the Raja car ferry.

Calm me down with some good news folks!

it's still a bit rough Femi Fan.... but not quite as bad as yesterday... we cannot even see Koh Phangan with the haze... / low cloud...

Someone did say it was supposed to start getting better tomorrow....

This was this morning at Ban Por...Samui... There is one ship/boat out there!

Ban%252520Por%252520area-46.jpg

I had read your pm mate, which was a couple of days ago (just back from chiang rai today), and then saw this thread which was from yesterday!

I'm making the assumption that Lomprayah are a company who won't send their boats out if there's a risk. I know that's not the case with many boats, but i kind of assumed Lomprayah and Seatran were a bit more professional!

Anyway, since we are due to come over from mainland to KP on thursday, i'm hoping that the nasty stuff will have gone by then to be replaced by stunning tropical blues and greens with a one inch wave ruling the seas...!

btw, i've never heard of ban por in samui, where's that?

I had read your pm mate, which was a couple of days ago (just back from chiang rai today), and then saw this thread which was from yesterday!

I'm making the assumption that Lomprayah are a company who won't send their boats out if there's a risk. I know that's not the case with many boats, but i kind of assumed Lomprayah and Seatran were a bit more professional!

Anyway, since we are due to come over from mainland to KP on thursday, i'm hoping that the nasty stuff will have gone by then to be replaced by stunning tropical blues and greens with a one inch wave ruling the seas...!

btw, i've never heard of ban por in samui, where's that?

PM returned!

Ban Por is a nice large beach on Samui, but we keep quiet about it!!! tongue.png....It's a secret, but people would be surprised how many people stay in the area.... gigglem.gif

• 7 months later...

3 hours ago, AsianExport said:

Hello, can you tell me what is the choice when going from Surathani to Samui  in low season ?

Ferry company ? Where is the pier at Surat and at Samui ?

Thanks for help.

There are only a slow night boat going from Suratthani town.

Three ferry companies depart from Donsak.

Raja ferry,  Seatran and Lompraya.

How will you arrive in Surattthani?

4 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Check websites for companies named above... Seatran and Lomprayah dock in Nathon Samui, Raja ferry in Lipa Noi, about 5 kms south of Nathon... not really a big deal. 

Weather conditions could have an impact  on leaving and arriving in stormy weather.

5 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I think the so-called "Express boat" for passengers only is still operating – they got a newer fairly big blue boat, which I Friday noticed still land at the old Nathon-pier – my friends travelling as backpackers with train from Bangkok to Surat Thani use to arrive with that. It's not departing from Surat Thani, use to be from a bay some way outside; train-passengers are taken there by bus.

Yes, only that two car-ferries and both from Donsak, but each has their own pier. Normally they both depart on the hour, all year round from early morning till evening (not sure about exact time for first and last ferry, but 6am to 6pm for sure).

Weather condition/waves from October to early Januar, the monsoon-season, can make changes/delays a few days.

Archived