Asus DSL-N55U Router With AIS Fibre Service - Anyone Know How?

Greenside

Just had AIS Fibre (their Power 3 package, offering 30/10Mbps) installed. The incoming fibre terminates in a neat little modem which connects to a D-Link 605L wireless router which against all reason has Fast Ethernet instead of the Gigabit LAN ports you'd expect (and we need) to run the network decently. I have the same package at another location which came with a wireless modem router that does support Gigabit Ethernet so this daft arrangement took me by surprise but no matter, I thought, we can just configure our existing Asus ADSL modem/router to accept the output from the fibre modem via the WAN port. Unfortunately, this concept was totally beyond the understanding of the installation guys and despite hours of experimenting I still can't get the Asus to connect to their modem.

I have setup the Username, Password and as many of the other settings as I can retrieve from the supplied D-Link router but there are some that are either hidden or maybe auto-configured (VPI/VCI for example). Has anyone solved the issues of getting their own router working with AIS or any ISP's fibre service?

The good news, by the way, is that the speeds (via speedtest.net) are consistently 30/10 or slightly better, even to obscure servers on the other side of the planet.

Edited by Greenside

Their modem is not accessible and since the ports are the problem on the D-Link router they supplied, running through it in any mode defeats the purpose of the exercise. Since the output of their modem is OK for the D-Link router at the moment, it should be the same for the Asus if we have the settings configured correctly. Is this right, or am I missing something?

To be clear, I do not expect to replace the fibre modem with the Asus DSL-N55U - as you say it's an ADSL device (as far as the modem component goes). The D-Link router AIS supplied is just that; a common or garden poorly featured wireless router which sends the data output by the fibre modem (which is connected to it by an ordinary LAN cable) to the computer and other devices on the network. As far as I can see it's simply an ordinary router. Here are the specs - please correct me if I am wrong.

If this can work OK, surely the Asus can accept the same data (presumably via the WAN port) and do the same? If it wasn't for the dual band wireless and Gigabit ports on the Asus, I'd make do with the D-Link and skip all this fiddling about!

Edited by Greenside

What is the fibre router (make/model)?

My ISP (in the sandpit) gave me a Huawei 8245G which has four ethernet ports, plus Wifi which I've turned off.

I have one Netgear R8000 connected to it by Ethernet; this provides Internal Wifi and Ethernet as my home network.

I also have an ASUS RT-AC87R plugged into the second ethernet port, which is configured to VPN anything that attaches it straight to the US.

It sounds like they've given you a pretty basic fibre device.

It turned out to be very simple, if not a little embarrassing. A very helpful technical support gentleman from AIS came round yesterday afternoon (black mark for no appointment so he had to wait while I raced across town) and we had it running in no time. The settings on the Asus were as per the attached screenshot which I'd tried before with no success, but although I rebooted the router after the change I forgot to release the computer's IP address which had been handed out by the D-Link so no connection. Duh!

The Ethernet WAN setting under Transfer Mode is because the connection from the modem goes into the blue WAN port on the Asus, by the way.

Chicog, the gear they provided was pretty basic but, as it turned out, easier to configure than the ZTE F660 Fibre Modem/wireless router which I have at my home and has no setting to use it as a bridge.

post-40471-0-86520600-1454991403_thumb.j

Edited by Greenside

At our house we have a Huawei H8045A fiber-router, which has four Ethernet ports and WIFI. Our house has four floors including the ground floor, so on Eth01 we have a Linksys E4200 router (providing 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WIKI and 4 Gigabyte Ethernet ports for the network in our homeoffice. On Eth02 we have a Linksys E2000 connected that is located on the second floor (our living space), were it provides WIFI and Gigabyte Ethernet to our TV and multimedia system. Port Eth03 is connected to a second Linksys E2000 which is located on the 3th floor where it provides WIFI… No Ehternet device connected. On port Eth04 we have a Trendnet TEW-690AP (accesspoint) which is located on the 4th floor (mostly turned off as the 4th floor has only two guest rooms and a bathroom).

Our routers do not have integrated ADSL hardware, but if you can select fixed IP address (IP address of the fiber-router) it probably should work.

post-12170-0-46399300-1455088924_thumb.j

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The above post may come in useful for setting up the other site where they provided a router that can't be put into Bridge mode.

Papeete is the capital of French Polynesia, an overseas country of France in the Pacific Ocean. With less than 150,000 people (not to mention a lot of sea around it) you might expect it to be a tough test for the AIS 30/10 package that I have installed. But no.......

post-40471-0-86072300-1455106692_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. The above post may come in useful for setting up the other site where they provided a router that can't be put into Bridge mode.

Papeete is the capital of French Polynesia, an overseas country of France in the Pacific Ocean. With less than 150,000 people (not to mention a lot of sea around it) you might expect it to be a tough test for the AIS 30/10 package that I have installed. But no.......

I have just gotten AIS Fibre installed. Their 20/7 package and my speedtests are really bad.

Using testmy.net I get 2.7 meg down from San Jose and with your Papeete test on speedtest,net I get 1.28 meg down but a ping of 381.

AIS basically just says that they can't guarantee international speed. Something looks very wrong though. I made the same download speedtest on testmy.net to San Jose 4 times and got exactly the same download speed 2.7 meg. The technician called them and asked them to increase the speed to 50 mbit download and we tried again. Guess what? 2.7 mbit down.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

I an cancel, but I'm loath to go back to my TOT ADSL. TOT ADSL givves between 7-10 mbit down on testmy.net from San Jose.....

EDIT the fiber cable is pretty long. One km from their main cable to my house

Edited by touch

• 3 months later...

I got AIS Fibre 50/10 installed three days ago (Bt888/mo...Bt799/mo if already an AIS customer)...fibre optics all the way to the AIS-provided router...not VDSL for the last X-meters. Here's my results to Papeete at 7:26pm on this fine Monday night in Bangkok.

post-55970-0-66566600-1467635446_thumb.j