Can not get METV what are my options

I had planned to get a METV and go to Thailand in July and use this visa to get me through until I am 50 in March next year when I was going to get a non 'O' from Vientiane and stay on retirement grounds.

I have spoken with my employer today and they have said they are not prepared to grant me unpaid leave and write a letter to the Thai Embassy stating an expected return to work date.

So I can not get an METV are there any other options. I have only just agreed to rent my house out and was supposed to start my new life in Thailand.

You could apply for an METV, some Embassys are not stringent on which forms they require. if not, get an SETV

An SETV gives a maximum of 60 + 30 extension. I am not 50 until March 2017 and wanted to go in July 2016.

You could apply for an METV, some Embassys are not stringent on which forms they require. if not, get an SETV

An SETV gives a maximum of 60 + 30 extension. I am not 50 until March 2017 and wanted to go in July 2016.

You can go to Vientiane and get another SETV, rinse and repeat

As I see it you are not taking time off work, but retiring to Thailand so put your occupation as retired and tell them of your plan to apply for the 1 year extension of stay once you hit 50. You can probably get it agreed or declined via email before having to pay the application fee. It would be a good idea to use one of the less busy consulates.

If you do get declined it's not a problem, just get a SETV before leaving and you should have no problem getting two more from an embassy/consulate local to Thailand to see you through to age 50.

p.s. Include copies of your Bankok Bank book showing the 1 million baht as well as the 5k in your UK account and I think you've got a good chance of getting the METV.

Edited by elviajero

MULTIPLE ENTRY (METV)

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with not less than 6 months
- Visa application form fully completed
- Two recent passport size photographs of the applicant
- 6 months bank statement with no less than £5,000
- Letter from employer, confirming employment
- Self-Employed a copy of Self-Assessment
- Copies of flight details and Hotel reservation
- Consular officers reserve the rights to request for additional documents as deemed necessary

The Birmingham Consulate website just states that they need a letter confirming employment ,however the Thai Embassy states they need a letter confirming the return to work date.
My employer won't do a letter with a return to work date but would possibly do a letter stating that I am employed.

If your still there can't you get them to write, mentioning that you're a contractor and although employed now they cannot guarantee re-employment on your return, economic climate etc.

Failing that, knock up your own and print it on their letter headed stuff before u leave.

Sent from my mobile, please forgive the autocorrect!

If your still there can't you get them to write, mentioning that you're a contractor and although employed now they cannot guarantee re-employment on your return, economic climate etc.

Failing that, knock up your own and print it on their letter headed stuff before u leave.

I work for a County Council and they are very strict and will not . I don't thing forging a letter will be the way for me as I can not risk my future life in Thailand by doing this.

ring all the consulates, birmingham, liverpool etc and ask about the financial requirements, as posted some consulates namely in australia are issuing without the financials i believe, so maybe the same in uk, they are fairly new so not many reports of issuing about at the moment.

will you be in receipt of a pension? maybe that would help.

as a last resort a setv from uk followed by 2x setv locally and then a non 'o' or a conversion within Thailand would see you out.

Your call, please update on how you get on.

The previous suggestion for a letter explaining early retirement / no commitment to re-employ when you return and emailing then for comment seems to be a good option for the METV, or go the multiple SETV route.

There's another thread staying UK passport holders can get a METV in Australia without employment letters. That gives you the option of a SETV fit a fee months in Thailand then go to Oz for a holiday and get a METV while there.

The Birmingham Consulate asks only for a letter of employment and today my employer agreed to write one for me to submit. I can therefore apply for an METV.

Edited by mlkik