Truemove Unlimited Gprs Only 350 Baht/month

youngkiwi

I have been a subscriber of Truemove GPRS for a few days now after walking into my local True shop, filling out the paperwork, receiving my SIM and having the service activated all within 5 minutes.

Unlimited GPRS from True is only 350 baht/month and is a post-pay (on account) service.

From my tests I have found True's service to be remarkably faster than the equivalent offered by DTAC, which I have found to be slow on most occassions.

Thumbs up to True this time for a great product offering. Lets hope this level of service continues.

Hello,

What are you paying for voice calls per minute? Can you use your phone as a modem?

DTAC has been very good for me, but it's a little expensive compared to True. Not as bad as Portugal though, where I was paying .01 euro per kilobye!

I was tempted by this offer but they could not confirm how long the 350baht offer would last and I was warned that this is similar to other companys that then end the cheap offer and you have to pay substantially more. My speed on ais gprs is 115kbps so how does that compare as it is very slow and I would love to change to something faster.

That 115kbps is not your speed with AIS GPRs, it is the connection speed between your phone and the computer. To see your connection speed, download a small file from somewhere, and look at the transfer speed in the dialog box.

I am paying 279 baht per month for a voice connection with free calls to any network betweeen 5am - 5pm. Outside of this time, it costs 3 baht for the first minute and 1 baht per minute thereafter.

I am advised that the 350 baht unlimited GPRS offer is a permanent promotion and they have no plans to increase this rate. This rate was also written into the contract.

Yes, I can use my phone as a modem however have no need for this generally as I am using an IMATE Jasjar for mobile connectivity (also known in Thailand as the Dopod 900).

The GPRS connection speed is 115.2kps and I am getting consistently good performance anytime of the day and night with browsing and downloading files, etc.

Well run a test via the internet and it said speed was 46 something, I am not technically minded so I presume this is the speed of my connection. When I say I dont have a phone I have a gprs modem whilst not actually a mobile I presume it does the same job therefore the 115kbps will be the connection speed between modem and pc ?

JohnC, your GPRS modem emulates a phone. The connection speed of 115.2kps is the speed between your modem and your mobile phone provider's network. The actual data transfer speed can vary depending on a number of factors including bandwidth available, signal strength, etc.

Sunny Valentine, I don't understand your question. You say that you have good results with EDGE in Bangkok and Pattaya but ask whether Edge is running anywhere in Thailand.

From my tests I have found True's service to be remarkably faster than the equivalent offered by DTAC, which I have found to be slow on most occassions.

Can you elaborate on the results of your comparative speed tests? Did you do traceroutes to determine the bottlenecks?

For someone who requires 100+ hours of GPRS connectivity each and every month, and is close to a base station and is happy with the coverage, this sounds like a decent deal.

Sunny Valentine, I don't understand your question. You say that you have good results with EDGE in Bangkok and Pattaya but ask whether Edge is running anywhere in Thailand.

Sorry for having been unprecise! I wanted to know wether Truemove offers EDGE service under this plan, and if yes in which areas? I have an EDGE PC card and have good results with DTAC, and varying results with AIS.

Sunny

Using True GPRS, I typically get transfer speeds between 7-10k/sec, while when using DTAC only 2-5kps in most cases.

Kilo-bits per second? Or Kilo-Bytes per second? As measured where? How?

If Kilo-bits per second then this service is dreadful.

Lomotopo: Yes, DTAC GPRS speeds are terrible compared to the TrueMove offering.

As I have already mentioned in an earlier post, the GPRS connection speed is 115kps. The term kps or kbps has the same meaning of kbit/s, it is just a different abbreviation). The term kilobit relates to the actual communication speed, for example a 512kps broadband connection can also be called a 512 kbit/s connection.

To clarify, I am getting transfer speeds between 7-10k/sec on True. The term "k" is an abbreviation of kilobyte and is a known term used by IT professionals.

True's performance in this regard can be considered superb and is a major improvement over the speeds achieved using DTAC GPRS. I have measured this using a custom developed application for the Pocket PC, and browsing and download speeds are also indicative of this speed.

Further I have used my phone as a GPRS modem and tested the same via my notebook computer.

Pretty good work on True's part I have to say. I would highly recommend their GPRS service.

Sorry, I was not aware of those terms as I am familiar with the terms, kB/s (or kBps, for kilo-Bytes per second) and kb/s (or kbps, for kilo-bits per second), that we use in the data- and telecommunications industries.

7 - 10 kBps (56 - 80 kbps) is decent performance; this is what I achieve with 1-2-Call's GPRS service.

Lomatopo is correct and youngkiwi is not (and its funny s the tone of the posts is pretty superior tone)..

KBps (KiloByte) is 8x Kbps (of KiloBit) and IT professionals would know to specify which they are talking about correctly.

Transfer speeds of 7 - 10 Kbps would be awful.. Back to the 90's !! I suspect youngkiwi is again confusing the bits v bytes and that this is approx 50 - 80 kbps which would be a bit better than what I got out of 12Call a while back (40 - 60 or so kbps is a rough guess)..

Here on Phuket we are getting a taste of 3G with +-800 kbps measured speeds via CATS new wireless service.

Edited by LivinLOS

LivinLOS: It is unfortunate that you considered my comments to be in a superior tone. That was not my intention and is merely your misinterpretation.

The term kps or kbps does have the same meaning of kbit/s. This is widely accepted and is also defined as such at wikipedia.

As I mentioned, I am getting transfer speeds between 7-10k/sec, and again the term "k" is an abbreviation of kilobyte. This is also documented at Wikipedia and is also a widely accepted term within the IT area.

Lomatopo: Yes, 7-10k is certainly decent performance. I am very pleased with it, especially for the low monthly fee.

Let's keep this thread on topic. It is starting to drift :o

Edited by youngkiwi

hello,,

I just got a freebie true sim card from 7/11 and thought I would test out the gprs quality. How do you setup this service? Is there a special prepaid card for the gprs, and one for voice calls?

Thanks

Dial *138 and follow the prompts, you can buy 20 hours for B100 or 60 hours for B250, all are plus tax and automatically expire and renew every 30 days. Dial *139 to check your remaining balance.

hello,,

I just got a freebie true sim card from 7/11 and thought I would test out the gprs quality. How do you setup this service? Is there a special prepaid card for the gprs, and one for voice calls?

Thanks

Dial *138 and follow the prompts, you can buy 20 hours for B100 or 60 hours for B250, all are plus tax and automatically expire and renew every 30 days. Dial *139 to check your remaining balance.

Please note that these instructions are for 1-2 CALL not TRUE as I found out to my cost.

The 1-2 Call works well though. :o

• 3 years later...

No matter what anybody says. As soon as my 50 hours with True Move are up I will be back with DTAC. 200 baht including VAT plus another 240 to find out what my current balance is (left of the 50 hour) and still having no reply from True Move. If any company in the US or Europe would treat their customers like that the regulator would shut them down because they could see how obvious they are ripping of people. With DTAC you punch in a short code on your mobile and within seconds you know what is left of your Internet access. With True Move you phone their service line and they ripp you off by keeping you waiting, waiting and waiting whilst the money is running through your phone!

Dtac will always beet true hands down. I have speed tested both true would always get around 70 to 100 kps only, and Dtac would get 170 to 200 to USA servers to. no way would I ever use true for internet of any type. I do use that 1 THB SIM only to ball the USA. I love my post pay account with Dtac, Coustmer service is great and everything wokrs!!!!!

quote name='joka' timestamp='1161493572' post='951667']

Hello,

What are you paying for voice calls per minute? Can you use your phone as a modem?

DTAC has been very good for me, but it's a little expensive compared to True. Not as bad as Portugal though, where I was paying .01 euro per kilobye!