PM Prayut orders crackdown on Phuket's rude, cheating, violent taxi, van drivers

webfact

PM Prayut orders crackdown on Phuket's rude, cheating, violent taxi, van drivers
Suthicha Sirirat

1455081724_1-org.jpg
Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada presided over the meeting. Photo: Suthicha Sirirat

PHUKET: -- Complaints by tourists about Phuket taxi and van drivers being rude, deceiving, threatening rip-offs being sent directly to the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has prompted a campaign by local police to cleanup the industry by targeting ‘bad behaviour’ in Phuket’s privately-run “public transport” industry.

The mandate was levelled at Wichit Municipality office yesterday (Feb 9) at a meeting presided by Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada.

Present at the meeting were representatives from the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command, Region 8 Police, Provincial Police, the Phuket Tourism and Sports office, Tourist Police, the Phuket Land Transport Office, “public transport” operators and drivers themselves.

“Today we rely more and more on public transportation and in the past we have heard of so many problems involve drivers’ behaviour, such as charging inflated fares, not using the meter, dropping off tourists at the wrong place, being rude, disrespectful, fighting over passengers and even threatening passengers,” said Phuket City Police Deputy Commander Col Sakchai Limjaroen.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/pm-prayut-orders-crackdown-on-phuket-rude-cheating-violent-taxi-van-drivers-56148.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-02-10

more dog and pony show.

why not crackdown on all thieving, disrespectful taxi's in the whole country.

Phuket is not he only city in thailand with this problem.

police will do nothing as if they do, no brown bag!!!

the whole transportation system needs a revamp, but no balls, so it will be a continuing issue with no resolve.

i want to see a police man checking taxi's at 12-3am. what a joke. the only thing the police do at 12-3 am is make brown bag fillings and hide.

just start at the top and fire the whole damn police dept. They are not worth shit. You cant babysit the whooe damn country. Start firing the ones that wont fo their job and promoting the ones that will.Or soon there will be no Puket or Thailand on anyones travel plans. Very soon

There is some merit to your statement, but simply firing everyone, will most likely result in the same types taking their place. Centralized police have little accountability to the local people they serve. Mayors and Governors seem to be simply ignored where law enforcement is concerned, since Bangkok is the center of this universe in this area.

What the hell ... just let Phuket die.

I'm afraid I second that statement.

I've been to Phuket 3 times and every time I felt like I was trapped in some big tourist-milking machine. 90% of the Thais I met there were unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful ... at best. At worst, their behaviour was downright aggressive, and all about 'give me your cash or get the hell outta here, I've got better things to do and I hate farangs anyway'. Soooooo different from what I experienced in other parts of Thailand, including Pattaya (and yes, Pattaya tends to go down that road too now, well I guess we have a number of politicians to thank for that, since farang-phobia is the one thing they all seem to agree upon, regardless of their 'color').

My last visit to Phuket was 10 years ago. I can only imagine what it's like now, because there's no way it could have gotten any better. Even if I was given a free ticket and free stay in a 4-star Phuket hotel I would not go back to that island, and I'm not kidding. The one thing I do NOT understand is why so many white tourists still think it's a 'cool destination'. Beautiful beaches may be beautiful, pristine waters may be pristine, but if you're surrounded by unpleasant people who make you feel like a stupid cash cow, what's the important factor at the end of the day ?

Edited by Yann55

I've been to Phuket 3 times and every time I felt like I was trapped in some big tourist-milking machine. 90% of the Thais I met there were unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful ... at best. At worst, their behaviour was downright aggressive, and all about 'give me your cash or get the hell outta here, I've got better things to do and I hate farangs anyway'. Soooooo different from what I experienced in other parts of Thailand, including Pattaya (and yes, Pattaya tends to go down that road too now, well I guess we have a number of politicians to thank for that, since farang-phobia is the one thing they all seem to agree upon, regardless of their 'color').

My last visit to Phuket was 10 years ago. I can only imagine what it's like now, because there's no way it could have gotten any better. Even if I was given a free ticket and free stay in a 4-star Phuket hotel I would not go back to that island, and I'm not kidding. The one thing I do NOT understand is why so many white tourists still think it's a 'cool destination'. Beautiful beaches may be beautiful, pristine waters may be pristine, but if you're surrounded by unpleasant people who make you feel like a stupid cash cow, what's the important factor at the end of the day ?

I do not recognise the place you claim to have visited 3 times !

I have only lived in Phuket for 10 years, am married to a Thai lady and have never met the 90% of Thais, that again you claim, mistreated you.

Best you do stay away !

More talk, but no action.

The Thai military should have dismantled the transport mafia, and encouraged private operators, at the same time they cleared beaches, but not even the military will touch this issue on Phuket.

Thus, leaving Phuket with no hope for public transport in the future, and in my opinion, leaving no hope for the future of Phuket's tourism industry.

I have only lived in Phuket for 10 years, am married to a Thai lady and have never met the 90% of Thais, that again you claim, mistreated you.

Best you do stay away !

I stand uncorrected.

I know what I went through, I don't care if it doesn't fit with your idyllc view of that crappy place.

Have no fear, there will indeed not be a fourth time, and I now see one more advantage to that : I won't have to meet you biggrin.png

Best you do stay away !

Have you been anywhere else in Thailand, in the last 10 years, to compare Phuket to????

Perhaps you could offer a reason for Phuket's rapidly declining western tourist market.

Edited by NamKangMan

Complaints by tourists about Phuket taxi and van drivers being rude, deceiving, threatening rip-of

I take exception to that, what about Pattaya's taxi drivers ?

Pattaya is 100 times better in this regard than Phuket. 10 baht songteaows to musc of where you want to go. Taxi drivers all over Thailand try it on though. Even on the Thais. As a mate said once laughingly "it's in their DNA " (about taxi drivers, not Thais in general )

You won't get a metered taxi in Pattaya though, and I honestly reckon fair enough. The rates are not high enough to be fair to them.

I don't like risking my life on motorbike taxis, and don't want to risk drink driving so now have the number of one of the seven seater green and yellow taxis. I caught her once, and told if she gives me a good rate I would use her all the time. She did, so I do. Always shows up on time, is available 24/7 as her son drives the night shift, usually book her on LINE, sometimes call her, taxi is always spotless. They all have an app on their phones with a map of all the where all the other taxis from their company are. If she is busy doing an airport run so something, she sends somebody else, and no need to haggle price, just pay what I always pay.

I couldn't be happier with the arrangement.

She does have to pay a monthly bribe to the usual influential people for "parking". The motorbikes and songteaows all pay also, but at different rates.

Phuket to me also feels unfriendly and more racist than Pattaya. Beer way dearer, taxis way dearer, decent food way dearer, cheap Thai food way dearer and I just always feel hassled/hustled there. Maybe it would be different living there. Different Thais down there, a bit jai rorn, the southerners, compared to the north and north easterners you generally find in Pattaya, who IMO are a bit more relaxed GENERALLY SPEAKING.

just start at the top and fire the whole damn police dept. They are not worth shit. You cant babysit the whooe damn country. Start firing the ones that wont fo their job and promoting the ones that will.Or soon there will be no Puket or Thailand on anyones travel plans. Very soon

Phuket should become an independent country, the governor looks quite able to run this little town of thugs.

Rename it fHuk- et as thats what happens in the childrens playground most days, I went there twice in 15 years I do not wish to go back or to Pattaya or the islands of Koh Tao and the like and I am sorry to say that.

Most tourists just don't have the slightest idea.

I've been all over Thailand, been to Phuket twice.

Once to check it out...didn't like it.

Once for business... didn't like it.

Mostly because it seemed like everybody and their brother was trying to scam me, with a tuk-tuk driver asking me every 10 feet if I needed a ride.

Last time there, I walked into an absolutely empty bar, ordered a double Jack & Coke and was charged 845 baht.

Thank God I didn't like the place and decided to leave after one drink instead of racking up a huge bill.

For all its woes, Pattaya is much better.

I have spent all my winters on Phuket in the past. I left when I finally got fed up of being stuck in one place, no free mouvment, no shopping when it suited me, because of the ridiculous transport prices. I had 2 very bad experiences there with taxis , and one with a tuc tuc . If the PM would like some horror stories I would be glad to tell him !! Every tourist tells the same story, the thugs of Phuket have given it a very bad reputation world wide.

Oops, how does the governor feel knowing that not only is the junta peering over his shoulder they're now issuing ' do something ' orders ?

From his chauffeur driven car and police controlled traffic ahead of him, he feels their pain.

"in the past we have heard of so many problems involve drivers’ behaviour". Really. And why has this problem not been addressed and solved before now?

As I typed, one of the answers came to hand - no will, no way! Money rules! Perhaps just another "humorous announcement" for the benefit of tourists and happiness of Thai peoples? whistling.gif

Crack down on taxi driver's? It will never happen.Nothing will change.Never has, never will.Pattaya,Phuket,Bangkok,In fact everywhere,where there are taxi thugs.The Thai nation has to step into the 21st Century,never has, never will.Not when the leader is so far out of touch with the real world.Writing song's,cannot handle the press,or his kids homework.Sexist remarks about ugly women,reaping no respect at the UN.This country is run by children dressed up as adults.The one that really made me laugh was,'when people say bad thing's about the police,they feel sad'!!!!This is a criminal country owned and run by bigger criminals.

When i hear about the BIB are chasing a suspect,it reminds me of an Oscar Wilde quote,when describing a fox hunt.

' The unspeakable in full pursuit of the inedible'

KKD.