Cost of cigarettes in Thailand rises 5-10 baht

webfact

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not a bad thing, might slow a few people down. Cigarettes are ridiculously cheap here......

Most Thais I know smoke roll ups and cant afford cigs anyway. Raise it by 50 bht for all I care still way way cheaper than the UK at nearly 10 quid a packet. Just dont raise the tax on lighters. I go through like 6 a day haha

It's not a bad thing, might slow a few people down. Cigarettes are ridiculously cheap here......

Most Thais I know smoke roll ups and cant afford cigs anyway. Raise it by 50 bht for all I care still way way cheaper than the UK at nearly 10 quid a packet. Just dont raise the tax on lighters. I go through like 6 a day haha

I know it a bit like what they did when supply and demand wasn't good with exporting and rises salaries up and still today the factories haven't still recovered and load of people lost there jobs ,, Thai 101 Thinking ?

5-10 baht increase not enough. Should be 500-1000 baht increase. I hate smokers! Seriously. You idiots who light up inside a restaurant are affecting the health of others with your secound hand smoke. Go ahead and ruin your health with your filthy habit but don't smoke inside where others are present. Many times I have had to leave without finishing my meal because an idiot needs his fix and disrespects others. Thailand is very lax with the law regarding non smoking areas.

Didn't the price of cigarettes just increase a few months ago by 3 baht.

Effective immediately. So which is it 5,6,7,8,9 or 10 baht per pack.

Seeing as the economy is in the tanks lets raise the tax on cigarettes again in order to gain some taxes so we can afford to pay for all these subsidies we are providing.

Are you Thai?

If not the part about "We" must mean you and the mouse in your pocket.

"We" are just spectators.

Unlike Europe, S. America or N. America, "We" will always be farangs/outsiders and will never be able to blend in, own property, become citizens, nor heaven forbid, ever be able to vote.

You are talk BS

We can get citizenship if we want, the requirements for those married to Thais are low - just working with a salary of over 40k baht a month for 3 years. Don't believe what you hear on your barstool.

Where on earth do you live or what sort of Thais do you hang out with - noodle sellers? Nah, they can afford to smoke. The mind boggles.

5-10 baht increase not enough. Should be 500-1000 baht increase. I hate smokers! Seriously. You idiots who light up inside a restaurant are affecting the health of others with your secound hand smoke. Go ahead and ruin your health with your filthy habit but don't smoke inside where others are present. Many times I have had to leave without finishing my meal because an idiot needs his fix and disrespects others. Thailand is very lax with the law regarding non smoking areas.

You know non smokers die everyday.

Where on earth do you live or what sort of Thais do you hang out with - noodle sellers? Nah, they can afford to smoke. The mind boggles.
Not all are Noodle seller. Where I live a lot are ethnic Chinese and yes while they have money they dont like to spend it.

Smokers pollute the air I breath in and should be taxed to the max. Raise it another 100 baht.

Ba-fricking-wa!

Your great grandfather grew up w/ either wood or coal or kerosene for heat. You breathe a bazillion car/truck/taxi/bus fumes every day, but you blame your air pollution on ciggies?

more pollution from diesel particulates than ever from cigs. Diesel a known problem for everyone walking the streets yet they do nothing about it. definitely more pollutuin from other forms too, but it is easier to lambast smokers.

"The government is hoping that increase in price will help to reduce cigarette consumption in Thailand."

I can't take this seriously. They don't care about the well-being of people, what they care is how much money they can collect into the budget. That's the government primordial task. If they cared about people they would've stopped selling the cigarettes all together.

Smokers pollute the air I breath in and should be taxed to the max. Raise it another 100 baht.

Even if they went up 500b I would still get great pleasure from blowing smoke into the face of the likes of you.

You probably couldn't afford 500 baht per package.

Edited by SoilSpoil

Even if they went up 500b I would still get great pleasure from blowing smoke into the face of the likes of you.

You probably couldn't afford 500 baht per package.

500 is chump change and still cheaper than back home.

Edited by Don Mega

Cost of cigarettes is low compared to the west but high conpared to other Asean nations. Cigarette smuggling will no doubt be on the increase. Same with alcohol. Whisky went up 200 baht a litre a year ago. A bottle of J.W red cost 800baht now. Taxing the evil alcohol and cigarettes is seems to be good for the publics health. But who really suffer..?

The rich don't care and carry on with their habit.

The poor buy cheaper, rougher, more dangerous products, endangering their health to feed their habit.

The poor near me used to smoke real cigarettes and drink good whisky. Now they roll their own bird droppings and bits of nest and drink turpentine like whisky that could be used as paint stripper.

Why not reduce the military spending as a way to pay for government projects? By taxing the usual evil habit products you don't save lives you increase deaths. An addict doesn't stop because you put the price up. Come on PM. Think!

Edited by Wilsonandson

Do they really?

I thought that when I quit smoking over 40 years ago that I was going to live for ever.

Never mind I can always get some second hand smoke from my wife and blame her when I die.

Be intersting to know the stats of daily deaths smokers VS non smokers.

Edited by Don Mega

Might come as a surprise but non smokers also die everyday.

Bill Hick's eat your heart out.

Might come as a surprise but non smokers also die everyday.

Bill Hick's eat your heart out.
Bills the man haha x

Do they really?

I thought that when I quit smoking over 40 years ago that I was going to live for ever.

Never mind I can always get some second hand smoke from my wife and blame her when I die.

Dont blame your wife. If you want blame then blame people who burn Charcoal, rubber and worse..... Plastic. Of which the US stated just today kills more people than Malaria and HIV combined. Not to mention the polution coming from these old trucks and cars. OK blame smokers. But raising the the tax by 10 bht will do nothing to stop smoking and everything to raising revenue for the government.

I'm a smoker, I hate smoke in enclosed restaurants/rooms/buildings. I never smoke in my house and when I go out socially I always go outside to smoke unless in an open air bar. I agree to some extent with taxation in some countries as it is a burden on the health service. Given this is Thailand with no free treatment why should people pay more tax here?

Wow,you are very easy to dislike.