international drivers licence

joskeshake

Here we go again, I was driving on motorbike from Pattaya to Nong Nooch with some belgium friends and police stopped us, and we had to show drivers licence. 2 guys have an international drivers licence issued in Belgium and police didn't accept it.They had to pay 400 baht fine.What does a tourist when stay here for approx 29 days

need then to drive with motorbike ?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day. This is of course just another racket to collect BS fines. The "police" prefers if you do not have a license so you will have to pay the fines.

Edited by NightRider70

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day. This is of course just another racket to collect BS fines. The "police" prefers if you do not have a license so you will have to pay the fines.

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day.

Rubbish.

Did they have an International Drivers Licence (a well known worthless piece of paper usually sold over the internet)

Or

An International Drivers Permit IDP issued by a motoring organization or other recognized body.

Away from Pattaya the few times police have asked to see my licence they've accepted my IDP along with my home country drivers licence without question.

Of course this is completely wrong. As Farma has suggested, it is an IDP that is necessary.

idp-453x640.jpg

Did they have an International Drivers Licence (a well known worthless piece of paper usually sold over the internet)

Or

An International Drivers Permit IDP issued by a motoring organization or other recognized body.

Away from Pattaya the few times police have asked to see my licence they've accepted my IDP along with my home country drivers licence without question.

IDL and IDP are two names for the same thing.

Those international licenses have not been valid in Thailand for years. You are expected to get a Thai license even if you only come here for one day.

Rubbish.

You do not drive much I suppose.

I suggest you do some research.

A IDP acts as a transcription of your national drivers licence credentials. It has your current photo affixed, and should be carried together with your national drivers licence.

Some information on an IDL from https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

*INTERNATIONAL LICENCES SOLD OVER THE INTERNET ARE A SCAM!

Scam Alert Link

BE AWARE- All "International Driving Licences" offered by on-line vendors are a SCAM.

Remember - it is a "permit", it is not ever referred to as a "licence".

These scam licences take the form of a credit card in shape and design, they are worthless.

Less frequently a scam "licence" may take the same shape and form of the genuine grey cardboard International Driving Permit. The difference is that the SCAM licence may say "valid for 5 years". Whereas a genuine International Driving Permit is only ever valid for 12 months.

Only purchase the genuine International Driving Permit from your local Automobile Club.

Australia:Can be purchased through your state RAC or NRMA. Cost from AU$30 - $40

Great Britain:Can be purchased through the AA or RAC. or at principal Post Offices. Cost £5.50 plus processing fee - AALink - RAC Link

United States:Can be purchased through your local AAA or AATA. Cost US$15 - Info Link AAA - Info Link AATA

A IDP acts as a transcription of your national drivers licence credentials. It has your current photo affixed, and should be carried together with your national drivers licence.

Some information on an IDL from https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thailand:Driving.License.Requirements.html

Scam Alert Link

BE AWARE- All "International Driving Licences" offered by on-line vendors are a SCAM.

These scam licences take the form of a credit card in shape and design, they are worthless.

Less frequently a scam "licence" may take the same shape and form of the genuine grey cardboard International Driving Permit. The difference is that the SCAM licence may say "valid for 5 years". Whereas a genuine International Driving Permit is only ever valid for 12 months.

Only purchase the genuine International Driving Permit from your local Automobile Club.

Australia:Can be purchased through your state RAC or NRMA. Cost from AU$30 - $40

Great Britain:Can be purchased through the AA or RAC. or at principal Post Offices. Cost £5.50 plus processing fee - AALink - RAC Link

United States:Can be purchased through your local AAA or AATA. Cost US$15 - Info Link AAA - Info Link AATA

Are you saying that an IDL is fake by definition or is it only if they are offered on-line?

The laws are quite clear.

An International Driving Permit is valid for one year only, can be issued only from your own country and must be presented with your own country's valid driving licence that specifies the category or categories of vehicle that are applicable.

Scam Alert Link

Are you saying that an IDL is fake by definition or is it only if they are offered on-line?

By definition there is no such document as an IDL, if one does have one it is not worth the paper it is printed on.

An International Driving Permit is valid for one year only, can be issued only from your own country and must be presented with your own country's valid driving licence that specifies the category or categories of vehicle that are applicable.

Can tell us what law(s) prevent IDPs from being issued for one year only?

An International Driving Permit is valid for one year only

Depends on from which country issued. Swiss IDP is 3 Years valid.

Same for Germany, 3 years. I had two of these.

Just read again about the IDP and see a fact that has been mentioned in other threads already.

It's only valid in conjunction with the national DL.

So looks like you always have to carry both.

Scam Alert Link

By definition there is no such document as an IDL, if one does have one it is not worth the paper it is printed on.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/international-driving-licence

I think their definition is incomplete but the term is defined. Either way IDL implies the same thing as IDP.

Again more misleading info, it is only accepted for the first 90 days from the date of arrival. Doesnt any body check their facts before sprouting off?

Just read again about the IDP and see a fact that has been mentioned in other threads already.

More false info, you have to have a normal drivers lic. to get an international drivers lic. You dont have to carry both.

Just to clarify some comments with information from the AA website. http://www.theaa.com/getaway/idp/

• An IDP is a permit for use in conjunction with your driving licence, not in place of it
  • In some countries, you risk being fined or worse for relying solely on an IDP
Is an IDP the same as an International Driving Licence (IDL)?

No. An International Driving Licence is not a legally recognised document and will not enable you to meet national requirements to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP).

I believe the reference to 12 months for most countries or 3 years validity for Swiss and German IDP's refers to the validity of the IDP and not the length of time you can drive in a foreign country with it.

More false info, you have to have a normal drivers lic. to get an international drivers lic. You dont have to carry both.

Wrong. You have to carry both.

The international driving licence is a ‘translation’ of your national licence and is only valid when accompanied by the original licence. You must be able to produce both whenever you drive.

https://www.ch.ch/en/international-driving-licence/

and;

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is an identity document that allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle in any country that recognises IDPs. To be valid, the IDP must be accompanied by a valid driving licence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Driving_Permit

Edited by alocacoc

Just asking: the IDPs were valid for motorcycles?

Category "A" stamped?

Quite possible. I recall a thread in the phuket? forum not to so long ago where the police said motorbike riders should have motorcycle endorsed on their IDP's.

The IDP is in the same format which ever county issues it, grey cover and has a number of boxes that should have stamps corresponding to the categories of vehicles one holds a full licences for and should be accompanied by the full licence document.

It has been stated often one can get away with showing just a foreign licence, but better having both just to be safe.

Category "A" stamped?

Category A is for motorcycle.

Does it comply with the convention/treaty of 1949 or 1968? Thailand is not part of the 1968 treaty so those are not valid in Thailand.

If they consider you as a resident it is also not valid.

If the cop don't want it to be valid it is also not valid.

For my money those IDPs are useless. Get a Thai license instead, in most cases it is cheaper than the IDP and it fits in your wallet.

Edited by NightRider70

Nonsense, always let go, Never a Bother , and mine is outta date 8 years, I just hand them photo page, then the Wave Off

Category "A" stamped?

Quite possible. I recall a thread in the phuket? forum not to so long ago where the police said motorbike riders should have motorcycle endorsed on their IDP's.

Most Coppers don't understand IDP and don't even look