Nok Air plane nearly hits hospital building

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just another notch in Thai aviation safety. This could have and should have been avoided. Visual confirmation is always a good thing to have but, without it, they should have been redirected. Also, wasn't the tower supposed to be watching that would have immediately showed was off course or too low for the runway? I am no aviation expert but have seen enough to know the pilot and the tower were in error here. Luckily, the pilot kept his wits and escaped crashing. But this story could have taken a turn for the worst and in turn, many dead. They should investigate this thoroughly

Not necessarily dead but certainly hospitalised.

Flying with Nok next week. Are these grounds to cancel and get money back?

Take a bus or minivan instead. I heard they all have safe and reliable drivers.whistling.gif

Not so many now as some have become pilots! The ones that didn't cut it work in the control towers instead.

Well done the pilot, but I suppose if you are going to be in a crashing plane, best to hit a hospital.

Yes well done pilot but the spin doctors will pin the tail on you calling it pilot error. Human error is the result in 90% of these cases as a it saves a lot of face higher up.

^^^ My apologies. I've never heard of an airline being allowed to make scheduled flights under visual flight rules (VFR).

So at a minimum he was flying with visibility below what was legal for VFR, and didn't have or ignored the GPWS built into the plane.

I must learn to expect such "surprises" from Thailand. A scheduled airline flying VFR???

Cheers.

More likely, there was a GPWS alert and the pilot reacted by pulling the plane up.

What did he pilot say after the landing?

If the GPWS did malfunction, will the flight recorders be examined?

^^^ My apologies. I've never heard of an airline being allowed to make scheduled flights under visual flight rules (VFR).

So at a minimum he was flying with visibility below what was legal for VFR, and didn't have or ignored the GPWS built into the plane.

I must learn to expect such "surprises" from Thailand. A scheduled airline flying VFR???

Cheers.

More likely, there was a GPWS alert and the pilot reacted by pulling the plane up.

What did he pilot say after the landing?

If the GPWS did malfunction, will the flight recorders be examined?

The GPWS is a ground alert (radar) system not a small obstacle alert system, in this case a new building being built in the flight path. That should be on the NOTAM for the field I would think.

Of course the runways and planes have instrument landing equipment. They couldn't operate year around if they didn't. That doesn't mean the pilots were paying any attention or had a clue what they were doing. Obviously he was way off the glideslope and out of sync with the ILS (instrument landing system) but...

If the plane was working properly he would have had alarms going off such as the Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS).

"In the late 1960s, a series of controlled flight into terrain (CFIT) accidents took the lives of hundreds of people. A CFIT accident is one where a properly functioning airplane under the control of a fully qualified and certified crew is flown into terrain, water or obstacles with no apparent awareness on the part of the crew.
Beginning in the early 1970s, a number of studies examined the occurrence of CFIT accidents. Findings from these studies indicated that many such accidents could have been avoided if a warning device called a ground proximity warning system (GPWS) had been used."
Cheers.

if the plane was working properly he would have had alarms going off such as the Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS).

He was coming in to land, was he not.

Perhaps the pilot did the right thing and it wasn't his fault? No need to bash him, poor visibility happens all the time requiring pilots to ascend and redo the landing. I've been on a plane once where it seems like the plane speed was too fast when it was decending, the pilot ascended and redid the landing.

Mae Sot Airport does not have an instrument landing system. See:

https://skyvector.com/airport/VTPM/Tak-Mae-Sot-Airport

Most probably it would be a VOR approach with an appropriately high Decision Height (DH) and visibility minimums. The DH is calculated on the proximity of nearby obstacles and should have included the hospital.

Unless, of course, there is a GPS approach which many airfields now have.

Of course the runways and planes have instrument landing equipment. They couldn't operate year around if they didn't. That doesn't mean the pilots were paying any attention or had a clue what they were doing. Obviously he was way off the glideslope and out of sync with the ILS (instrument landing system) but...

If the plane was working properly he would have had alarms going off such as the Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS).

"In the late 1960s, a series of controlled flight into terrain (CFIT) accidents took the lives of hundreds of people. A CFIT accident is one where a properly functioning airplane under the control of a fully qualified and certified crew is flown into terrain, water or obstacles with no apparent awareness on the part of the crew.
Beginning in the early 1970s, a number of studies examined the occurrence of CFIT accidents. Findings from these studies indicated that many such accidents could have been avoided if a warning device called a ground proximity warning system (GPWS) had been used."
Cheers.

NeverSure, you seem to have some knowledge of aviation, but please be careful as you seem to be aspousing a greater knowledge than you possess. Please do your homework before casting aspersions. There is no ILS at Mae Sot but there is a VOR and a DME which allows for IFR operations there. There may also be GPS approaches but I can't confirm that. This crew (captain and copilot) were operating IFR. They had to be, due to the reduced visibility which precludes VFR. It is highly unlikely that their is an Air Traffic Controller in the tower as there is no radar and as stated no ILS and it surely has no means of getting info from the aircraft's transponder to ascertain its position, altitude etc.

I would expect that the airport attendant (might be called a Flight Service Officer) would have equipment to give him/her surface meteorological data to pass by radio to the flight crew.

VOR/DME approaches (NPAs) require a higher level of situational awareness than ILS and it would seem fair to say there was a lapse. You can bet Nok Air will be looking extremely hard at this incident.

Thank Buddha there was no crunch.

Cheers.

if the plane was working properly he would have had alarms going off such as the Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS).

He was coming in to land, was he not.

gpws can only look down and landing gear was lowered which turns off alarms (gpws alerting aircrew they forgot landing gear has happened) so was probably next to useless in this incident

Edited by Jdiddy

Ok guys relax and calm down. No one died. Chill out.

The problem as I see it is that they are burning the farms; a few hundred meters from the airport.

With answers like the above it is no wonder the human race is turning to s#@^.