let it be, maerim plaza

evenstevens

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really don't care about Evenstevens writing style, I am just happy that the prices are not what I remember from my one and only visit to the Raintree years ago. Under 200 baat is par for a course of western food these days in town, even at the venerable Stube. Now I don't often eat western food when in-country, but there are those rare occasions so for 200 baat it would save me a trip into the city. Of course in Mae Rim Plaza you can always get one of the best khao soi dishes around for a mere 40 baat.

I've heard a few people mention the Khao Soi at Mae Rim Plaza--do you know the name offhand? Sounds like a good option.
Northeast corner of the plaza facing east, the only establishment that faces east in that northern building block. It is just up from the bank entrance. Family use to own the property and run the same style restaurant, it was a real hole-in-the-wall where you could end up sitting next to the Nai Amphoe, on the main road where the bank is now located. They are a Mae Rim institution and I have been eating their khao soi for over 25 years now. Great food and great people.

By the way, great newer khao man kai place along the east canal road just north of the plaza across from the new hotel they are finishing up on the west side of the canal road. Open until about 3PM. Again, great people and great food. No real sign other than banner sign in Thai on the road noting khao man kai. The shop is on the down slope from the road.

Edited by Johpa

I really don't care about Evenstevens writing style, I am just happy that the prices are not what I remember from my one and only visit to the Raintree years ago. Under 200 baat is par for a course of western food these days in town, even at the venerable Stube. Now I don't often eat western food when in-country, but there are those rare occasions so for 200 baat it would save me a trip into the city. Of course in Mae Rim Plaza you can always get one of the best khao soi dishes around for a mere 40 baat.

I've heard a few people mention the Khao Soi at Mae Rim Plaza--do you know the name offhand? Sounds like a good option.
Northeast corner of the plaza facing east, the only establishment that faces east in that northern building block. It is just up from the bank entrance. Family use to own the property and run the same style restaurant, it was a real hole-in-the-wall where you could end up sitting next to the Nai Amphoe, on the main road where the bank is now located. They are a Mae Rim institution and I have been eating their khao soi for over 25 years now. Great food and great people.

By the way, great newer khao man kai place along the east canal road just north of the plaza across from the new hotel they are finishing up on the west side of the canal road. Open until about 3PM. Again, great people and great food. No real sign other than banner sign in Thai on the road noting khao man kai. The shop is on the down slope from the road.

Oh okay I remember the Khai soi place from pre-Mae rim plaza, will give it another visit soon. Khao man gai also sounds like a good option.

• 3 weeks later...

its a gidday to all beautiful maerimites

with the temp nudging forty cel,

kitti has just made, the better half of his restaruant . fully, air conditionedbiggrin.png

his evening napkins,are close to full, bookings will be the norm,in due coursesmile.png lunches are served , but close at 3.pm, ample seating then is available, on most ocassions, that is

perhaps the best value for your money nose bag, at the oven (maerim plaza) !!!!

Oh okay I remember the Khai soi place from pre-Mae rim plaza, will give it another visit soon. Khao man gai also sounds like a good option.

forget khao soi. you can find that crap anywhere. if at Mae Rim Plaza, then Steak of the Day is the place to go. the owner Ray, is a real trained chef, and a very nice guy. i believe he used to be the chef at one of the Four Seasons. i don't like dining out much in C.M. and seldom ever do as mostly the food is so bad, but Steak of the Day has to be one of the better restaurants in this city. it's always packed in there.

Caesar salad consisted of wilted lettuce and some kind of dressing obviously poured from a jar. Pizza was small with a cheap crust, though it tasted (just) alright. I don't recall the prices, but we left with the impression that we paid way too much for what was served. This said, I do hope that the restaurant gets its act together and succeeds. It's not easy to run a good one, and I prefer to see people do well rather than fail. If this thread fills up with glowing reviews I wouldn't be averse to trying again. But man do I miss Chez Philippe!

yes I ate there this week and would agree that is is nothing to write home about. I saw no air conditioned area either, both sides appeared to be open to the elements.

Steak of the Day or the excellent pizza place with the pool table at the bottom of the plaza are both far superior

It wasn't a 99 baht pizza. Where did you get that idea? The overall tab was 600 baht or so. What do you consider a fair price for a clump of old lettuce and a dollop of Makro dressing? Why do think think that your opinion is more valid than mine? I didn't denigrate your review, why denigrate mine, especially after requesting it?

I'm so glad I live nowhere close to to Maerim so my chances of running into ES in my daily travels are slim-to-none. What with all the nonsense blathering he does, I'd be tempted to call his Embassy before the Thai police haul him off to Suan Prung out of fear that he's a danger to himself and others.

The capable and professional staff at the Aussie Embassy certainly don't speak or write this way -- at least not when talking with others who are communicating in a standard form of English.

P.S. If I were "Kitty" (is that really the name for a man?) I'd be quite embarrassed at this "endorsement".

Despite the quirks, something that most of us have if we would but care to admit it, ES is a gentleman above and beyond all else and one of the nicest people you could wish to meet.

Judge not the book by the cover.

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad I live nowhere close to to Maerim so my chances of running into ES in my daily travels are slim-to-none. What with all the nonsense blathering he does, I'd be tempted to call his Embassy before the Thai police haul him off to Suan Prung out of fear that he's a danger to himself and others.

The capable and professional staff at the Aussie Embassy certainly don't speak or write this way -- at least not when talking with others who are communicating in a standard form of English.

P.S. If I were "Kitty" (is that really the name for a man?) I'd be quite embarrassed at this "endorsement".

Despite the quirks, something that most of us have if we would but care to admit it, ES is a gentleman above and beyond all else and one of the nicest people you could wish to meet.

thks cobber, and very handsome toosmile.png if the adorable nancyL and her pack of sheilas, care to join biggrin.png they would be enthralled with our company,out in the boonies , us beautiful maerimites are a fair dinkum lot, , nancy over to you,??? care to take up my very kind invitation,smile.png if so E/S will do a live dance, just for you and your sheilas, micheal jackson got nuffin on E/S

been out in the spelling paddocks, for the past month in my land down under, but today had my first gallopp, to LET IT BE with my old sheila,

ordered ceasar salad @125 baht, and totally agree with puwa,s input it was crap, so blundered out of the starting gates, and copped heavy interference, from my old sheila

baked spinach with cheese topping,settled my old sheila down, perhaps a small serving at 85 baht, but took up E/S to a forward position on the railsbiggrin.png

and found daylightsmile.pngclap2.gif

sailed to the winning post with spaggetti alfreddo 145 baht, with cheese toasted bread 85 baht

and weighed in correctly with 4 lge beer leos at 85 bahtbiggrin.png with icy cold glasses, plus

air conditioned, and good service , kitti is getting his class act together, at affordable prices and quality grub

a lovely evening to allsmile.png

oh Christ, she's back! gigglem.gif

Who said I ever left? And apparently, E/S was either in some deep, dark place down under without internet and/or was totally unconcerned with what was happening here in Chiang Mai in his absence. I, dear folks, would never do that to you! No, not for an entire month.

I went there today for the 1st time. Food was good albeit the salad needs a bit of work regarding portion size....very small indeed.

There were 2 of us for lunch and we both ordered the lamb shanks. Mine arrived first and it was very tender and tasty. The main concern is that the other shank didn't arrive until some 30 minutes later.

And excuse of having a very small kitchen did not sit well as I had finished my shank while the other diner sat waiting.

Several times we had to ask the staff about the other lamb shank meal. The staff appeared rather shy as if they had forgotten to order the second shank.

The place wasn't overly busy so there really was no excuse for poor service. To top it all off, when the bill was paid no change was given.

Although it was only 20 baht and would have been given to the staff, it was thought rather rude that it wasn't 'offered' back.

If Let it Be fixes up these few 'errors' then it will become a very good alternative to say Steak of the Day.

The lamb shanks were very good.

Who said I ever left? And apparently, E/S was either in some deep, dark place down under without internet and/or was totally unconcerned with what was happening here in Chiang Mai in his absence. I, dear folks, would never do that to you! No, not for an entire month.

no, not at all, E/S was busily drinking oz,s finest reds from penfolds to hardys, sure beats your snooping around the zoo, and posting reports

BTW to all beautiful maerimites

I DON,T KNOW restaruant , maerim plaza, will change to thai tucker at resumption of their normal holiday break,end of april, i beleive

a hot lovely arvo to all

no, not at all, E/S was busily drinking oz,s finest reds from penfolds to hardys, sure beats your snooping around the zoo, and posting reports

I DON,T KNOW restaruant , maerim plaza, will change to thai tucker at resumption of their normal holiday break,end of april, i beleive

a hot lovely arvo to all

Whatever that means.....yet another place to avoid.

Awesome, thanks for the warning, Gobbler or Cobbler or whatever you call yourself.

So if you too are all bored with the politics of the food scene in the Plaza then just head a few kilometers west on the 1096 and enjoy some northern Thai food at "The Beatles", just across from the 7-11. The owner Jiep is clearly the friendliest host in the area. If you become a regular he might even sing a few songs for you. Just one of many great places to eat in the burbs of Mae Rim that put most of the eateries of the neighboring big city to shame.

So if you too are all bored with the politics of the food scene in the Plaza then just head a few kilometers west on the 1096 and enjoy some northern Thai food at "The Beatles", just across from the 7-11. The owner Jiep is clearly the friendliest host in the area. If you become a regular he might even sing a few songs for you. Just one of many great places to eat in the burbs of Mae Rim that put most of the eateries of the neighboring big city to shame.

Good point, there are many nice little restaurants tucked away here and there. Add to the list:

Ba Ba Black - Check out the Thai food menu

Pansawan - Beautiful setting, good steamed fish

Lhong Pa - For chilling out

Phetchburirama - for tea and design

My Backyard - with its own farm

Sala Cafe - Hugely successful and beautifully rebuilt after the 2015 fire.

I would have to say that My Backyard would be one of the best kept secrets around the Mae Rim area. Very good food at incredibly low prices. Pork spare ribs are great as are their Fish and Chip meal.

Very nice setting their too. Sala Cafe can get a bit busy on the weekends but otherwise a very good set up.

I shall have to get out and about to try all the others mentioned in this area...cheers

a hot lovely arvo to all

Whatever that means.....yet another place to avoid.

for a restaruant ,which has not opened, under a new fare,, find your above remarks astoundingfacepalm.gif

it would be ever so nice, to have the fortitude, and clarify your remarks

a bonza good morning to allsmile.png

And pray tell why would it be another place to avoid? It's just the extension of Steak of the Day changing it's name by the sound of things.

the new name is after a close by wat, could, nt grasped its name let alone spell it, but I DON,T KNOW is bye byesmile.png