let it be, maerim plaza

evenstevens

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh so Ray is closing that part of his business down? Good luck to whomever takes it over.

I was offered it about 3 years ago but I thought 40k per month rental terribly expensive.

I believe Ray got it for half that and good on him.

Unfortunately I don't think Mae Rim has sufficient customers to support another restaurant. But I do like the competition when it occurs.

So is "I Don't Know", which I found the name to be to cutesy and not revelant (I feel "Why Not", which might even be worse with it's blase' connotation, covered that already and no need for another), for sale or the space's lease is available or is Ray changing the name after a local Wat and planning on serving Thai cuisine?

I liked the food at "IDK" as well I do at "Steak of the Day" but did find it a bit redundant that the fare at "IDK" was too similar to it's sister restaurant across the lot. If breakfast was the main new idea why not just save the rent and serve in the morning at "SOTD" especially as it already had a good reputation.

Lots of good Thai places but interested in trying Ray's, I wish him all the luck in whatever he does!

Edited by junglechef

My understanding is that IDK was a partnership between SOD and the wife of a foreign GM of a prominent CM hotel so the decision to quit, if that's what it is, may not have been Ray's alone. FWIW I thought the food at IDK was passable at best, their breakfast omelette was good and their pizza was OK but I found many of their other dishes not to my liking at all. And I think SOD proves the old adage, if you make and sell good food, people will come and the restaurant will be successful.

Just to add: we bumped into Phillipe and his wife a few days ago, we were at a resort in the mountains relaxing and he was doing therapy in the pool. He's looking and sounding well, it was good to see him again, I do miss his cooking very much - I'm sure everyone wishes him a speedy and complete recovery very soon.

Ray and Nui own the shophouse that housed I Don't Know. They bought it as a hedge in case the owner of the space across the street, where SOD is located, decides to tear down those temporary structures. This way they could just move SOD a fee meters without losing all the brand capital they've built. In that regard, I Don't Know was just an experiment. I love the idea of an upmarket (presumably) Thai restaurant at the Plaza. There are many affluent Thais, and foreigners, happy to pay for really good quality Thai cuisine, which is getting harder to find. I hope they open soon and find great success.

Experiment, is that a face saving expression?

Or are all new businesses that open hoping to be successful "experiments"?

Seems like it was lot of effort and expense, incl. involving partners, for being "just an experiment".

Hey if they had the funds and energy to be able to play like that well, up to them.

Honestly "I Don't Know" if it was or wasn't but it just seems a bit convenient to find that out now.

My understanding is that IDK was a partnership between SOD and the wife of a foreign GM of a prominent CM hotel so the decision to quit, if that's what it is, may not have been Ray's alone.

my reliable sources say its just a change of name and fare only, opens on MAY DAYsmile.png

Ray and Nui own the shophouse that housed I Don't Know. They bought it as a hedge in case the owner of the space across the street, where SOD is located, decides to tear down those temporary structures. This way they could just move SOD a fee meters without losing all the brand capital they've built. In that regard, I Don't Know was just an experiment.

beg to differ

sure that ray and nui, do not own the freehold title deeds to your above statement

My understanding is that IDK was a partnership between SOD and the wife of a foreign GM of a prominent CM hotel so the decision to quit, if that's what it is, may not have been Ray's alone.

my reliable sources say its just a change of name and fare only, opens on MAY DAYsmile.png

Ray and Nui own the shophouse that housed I Don't Know. They bought it as a hedge in case the owner of the space across the street, where SOD is located, decides to tear down those temporary structures. This way they could just move SOD a fee meters without losing all the brand capital they've built. In that regard, I Don't Know was just an experiment.

beg to differ

sure that ray and nui, do not own the freehold title deeds to your above statement

And furniture also it seems so perhaps it's a complete changing of the guard. Is Rezza still involved in the new venture?

Now that I think about it Ray and Nui had space across from SOD (facing north not where IDK is/was) and her Mother was serving Southern Thai food if I remember the details correctly.

I observe of the way business is done here and often it seems it can be without obvious reason, to me at least. Like the way my GF gardens putting trees here and there nilly willy. The first thing I thought of when I went to IDK was that they were competing with themselves across the lot. Understandably people are going to go to the same place everyday but if you serve similar food it will cut down on a customer going to both places combined so often.

As for them owning the building across from SOD, if this is so why wouldn't they have just moved SOD if it was security they were after?

Anyway enjoying all the facts from people in the know especially as they all know differently :)

I admit that all I know is what they told me, and I didn't ask for documentation. I really don't want to speculate beyond that. They're so friendly, I imagine that anyone could satisfy his curiosity, or his urge to offer business advice, by engaging them directly.

As for them owning the building across from SOD, if this is so why wouldn't they have just moved SOD if it was security they were after?

I doubt anyone other than the owners of Kasikorn bank own any of the property in the Plaza apart, perhaps, from the family who owns the khao soi shop and who originally owned the key piece of property needed to make the Plaza happen.

Many moons ago Ray told me they were only renting IDK. I don't know about the shop his or Nuis parents were running but that's shut now.

IDK is a big building and I believe the Plaza developer still owns it with no intention on selling it. Rent it out yes but not for sale.

Edited by CMKiwi

I admit that all I know is what they told me, and I didn't ask for documentation. I really don't want to speculate beyond that. They're so friendly, I imagine that anyone could satisfy his curiosity, or his urge to offer business advice, by engaging them directly.

Of course TV isn't a court of law even if it feels that way much too often.

I expect you've been here long enough to know not to give unsolicited business advice or any kind for the matter directly but we should all feel free to for the sake of discussion to here on TV.

If not here's my advice, you might want to learn how to interpret what is said here, meaning don't believe everything people say, BUT believe everything that's posted on TV as long as it's by JungleChef rolleyes.gif

Edited by junglechef

Better yet let's post everything what everyone says they own

I'll start, I own Central Festival and Koh Samui

(I'd like to add that I have no personal information of what Ray and Nui own nor claim to, just find it humorous that different posters disagree even with the one's who say they were told first hand. I have no reason to believe anyone one in particular isn't being truthful)

Edited by junglechef

ITS ALL HAPPENING AT THE MAERIM PLAZAbiggrin.png

TUM NUA (directly opp cheunjai coffee,thai grub shop and very good E/S might add) has moved, just past SIMONS BOGHOUSE. to a single unit shop,

reason, they were able to buy it lock ,stock and barrell, really affable people, best of luck to themsmile.png

secondly a wine shop of some kind,will be opening very early may, 2 doors down from the Japanese restaruant , they will need every ounce of luck they can get

and to round it off, received good oil, that the old IDK double unit premises , is owned by the KASIKORN BANK

S.O.D. ownerslaugh.png no way, just pure speculation

a lovely cooler late arvo to allsmile.png

• 3 weeks later...

just a further update for all beautiful maerimites and others

Simons Place maerim plaza, is now, only serving, alcohol ,from 5 pm

no grub available

and Steak of the Day will move across the road to the old I Don,t Know premises , no excact date known

and Let It Be is doing a very nice trade at the plaza

a pleasant late morning to all