SURVEY: Do you believe that Thailand is getting more dangerous for foreigners?

Scott

SURVEY: Is Thailand getting more dangerous for foreigners?  

581 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q Is Thailand getting more dangerous for foreigners?

A It depends.

It depends on who you are and what you do. If you are a retired farang like me living a quiet life in Issan then (road accidents aside) it is a very safe and welcoming place. If you are a young person and are partying hard on the islands, then the risk factor will be different.

So,how is life back in the Nanny state? I visited Perth last year, $10.50 a pint in most pubs. And you have to go to the bar yourself, wait until they serve you, wait for them to pour it, then wait for your change. Five of us drinking together 52.50 for one shout. As opposed to 69 baht beers in walking street that you don't have to get up for and the entertainment, well, a hell of a lot more interesting than just sitting in a pub with a bunch of old men and a few rough as guts sheilas.

Taxis in OZ, bloody hell, over $90 per hour or 2200 baht. I can get a mini van for 12 hours here for cheaper than that.

Went to a Thai restaurant there. $18 for Som Tum! The GST (tax) component more than the entire cost here.

Good luck back in Oz mate. Can of coke, 100 baht there as opposed to 10-12 baht here.

Exactly, house just finished, cost me about 700,000 baht, for something that the same size back in Sydney would have cost me 10 to 15 million baht, 8 to 10 extra years of working.

That alone is worth any supposed extra risk, that extra 10 years might have shaven 10 years off my life anyway

I now hate going back to Australia, its bullshit

Yeah, I can't figure out how he thought the Thais were ripping him off. Other examples, $35 to get your car washed which includes GST of 3.50 which is what I pa to get my car washed here. The 700,000thb you spent on your whole hose would be about the same cost as the stamp duty in oz.

I have to go back every year to see my old granny. The worst thing is my mates (not all, but most) wives. For a start, they own the house, if they want to play up, and many of them have, then the bloke has to move out AND then give them money every week!!! They end up renting, and paying for the ex so have stuff all left over cash. I go around to see my lifetime mates, and they have to ASK if they can come out for a beer with me, many are too afraid, so just make excuses to drink at home.

Secondly, these smoking, drinking, fat, swearing, drug taking bogan, opinionated sheilas who can't cook,just seem so rough after being used to Thais, but they look down Thai woman as gold diggers. Every year I go back I notice their roughness/coarseness more. I love explaining to them the much fairer Thai divorce system. I also like telling them that "Many people like Thai women because of their flawless skin, a feminine bodies, and manners, but the reason I like them so much is because they are more intelligent" this always goes down like a lead balloon.

Signing a marriage certificate in oz is like signing over all your assets and therefore your freedom. You just get bent over, and if they decide they want to root someone else, well you have to pay for that too.

It is getting more and more dangerous for the farang male there that's for sure.

Thanks to those who referred to me as a Pollyanna. I didn't know what it was, so I had to look it up. You learn something everyday. Isn't life grand!!

With all due respect to your weeks in country, they were being kind...

Get back to us when you've been in Thailand a while.

Yes, but it "feels' like everywhere is more dangerous these days..., and of course life can be more dangerous if one chooses to take risks in the chaotic large cities of developing foreign countries. We are all responsible for our own welfare..., presumably as we age we gain wisdom..., if you do not use your 'gained wisdom', you will increase the chances of being a victim. Notwithstanding plain bad luck, while your in a developing country, it's always prudent to keep your eyes and ears open, mouth mostly shut.., always walk with mindfulness and purpose..., and always carry good 3 ply toilet paper because sometimes happiness is a dry fart !
wai.gif

Edited by Sandy Freckle

Thanks to those who referred to me as a Pollyanna. I didn't know what it was, so I had to look it up. You learn something everyday. Isn't life grand!!

With all due respect to your weeks in country, they were being kind...

Get back to us when you've been in Thailand a while.

Thank you for your respect.

But I am here and you are not in Thailand. And loving it.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. Some people just can't fit in.

Still posting on thaivisa? Ito me that seems a little odd, I am sorry you can't let it go

Driving anywhere here could result in your instant end in this world. They are without a doubt the most brainless, selfish, inconsiderate and impatient fools when driving anything. Add to this a large chunk who feel being drunk, using a phone, or both are mandatory to having a car. Then another chunk who feel having a 4 wheeled death trap with bull bars on the front is essential, especially if driving at high speeds in built-up areas. The list goes on and on and on....

Is it safe? As long as this country allows their countrymen to drive anything over the capacity of a space hopper it will continue to kill anyone needing to travel anywhere.

In regards to crime. I've never felt under threat from Thais and this continues today.

Trouble in Thailand as tourist deaths soar

a "54 per cent jump in the number of tourist deaths" last year, according to a report by Thailand’s Bureau of Prevention and Assistance in Tourist Fraud.

I'd say it was getting more dangerous.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/health-safety/trouble-in-thailand-as-tourist-deaths-soar/news-story/a9e63799c682aeffc3079398eb39732b

Whether on the roads or in the water or just trying to enjoy a drink at a bar, life in Thailand has become extremely dangerous for any foreigner. If your not a target by a Thai who wants your money (we farang all rich) you will be a target for the van, boat, taxi, tuk tuk driver or the bouncer who thinks he can show you the Thai way of hospitality. I lived in Chiang Mai for a bit over 2 years (where I chose to retire) & have now moved back to Australia to get away from the constant need to be wary of anything you may do to upset a Thai. Not a good life. Some like it me? No. Good luck if you still live there.

So,how is life back in the Nanny state? I visited Perth last year, $10.50 a pint in most pubs. And you have to go to the bar yourself, wait until they serve you, wait for them to pour it, then wait for your change. Five of us drinking together 52.50 for one shout. As opposed to 69 baht beers in walking street that you don't have to get up for and the entertainment, well, a hell of a lot more interesting than just sitting in a pub with a bunch of old men and a few rough as guts sheilas.

Taxis in OZ, bloody hell, over $90 per hour or 2200 baht. I can get a mini van for 12 hours here for cheaper than that.

Went to a Thai restaurant there. $18 for Som Tum! The GST (tax) component more than the entire cost here.

Good luck back in Oz mate. Can of coke, 100 baht there as opposed to 10-12 baht here.

With respect Roomuk you have missed the point by quite a long way in trying to take us all off topic, the poster Duckamndon was addressing the topic which is ...." More dangerous." The answer is actually yes by about 67 to 33 . I went to Aus once, its Ok, they speak a language close to English too. Fair dinkum. The Aussies themselves are good people, just got to be a bit careful sometimes with those white fellas.

No. Thailand is fine.

Foreigners are getting more dangerous for foreigners.

In other words:

More Foreigners are: Endangering Themselves.

That..

Which is already largely reported in Europe where the UK doesn't have the monopoly of binge drinking anymore..

Youngsters of most country now do not drink with friends, they binge already in their home countries...

Coming to Thailand, they most probably drink here the same way.

And hold the Iphone with the left hand...

Endangering themselves by making themselves an easy target smile.png.

Total drunk, Iphone in hand, on the rented motosai.. Statistics in the making.

Edited by CantSpell

Yeah, I can't figure out how he thought the Thais were ripping him off. Other examples, $35 to get your car washed which includes GST of 3.50 which is what I pa to get my car washed here. The 700,000thb you spent on your whole hose would be about the same cost as the stamp duty in oz.

I have to go back every year to see my old granny. The worst thing is my mates (not all, but most) wives. For a start, they own the house, if they want to play up, and many of them have, then the bloke has to move out AND then give them money every week!!! They end up renting, and paying for the ex so have stuff all left over cash. I go around to see my lifetime mates, and they have to ASK if they can come out for a beer with me, many are too afraid, so just make excuses to drink at home.

Secondly, these smoking, drinking, fat, swearing, drug taking bogan, opinionated sheilas who can't cook,just seem so rough after being used to Thais, but they look down Thai woman as gold diggers. Every year I go back I notice their roughness/coarseness more. I love explaining to them the much fairer Thai divorce system. I also like telling them that "Many people like Thai women because of their flawless skin, a feminine bodies, and manners, but the reason I like them so much is because they are more intelligent" this always goes down like a lead balloon.

Signing a marriage certificate in oz is like signing over all your assets and therefore your freedom. You just get bent over, and if they decide they want to root someone else, well you have to pay for that too.

It is getting more and more dangerous for the farang male there that's for sure.

Some may say its off topic, but its not really

I'm sure the suicide rate is higher per capita in Aus

I seriously doubt some of these figures being thrown around in this thread, they are just making it up

Thailand supposedly 2nd or 3rd highest for gun deaths in the world??? Not even close

Minimum for a handgun would be 70,000 baht and yet they are supposedly everywhere, questionable logic

Isnt just the women, Thais in general seem a whole lot nicer than back home, especially Sydney, where EVERYONE seems to be on edge all the time

I feel safer here than back home.

And as for the "women" back home....hmmm yeah

Whether on the roads or in the water or just trying to enjoy a drink at a bar, life in Thailand has become extremely dangerous for any foreigner. If your not a target by a Thai who wants your money (we farang all rich) you will be a target for the van, boat, taxi, tuk tuk driver or the bouncer who thinks he can show you the Thai way of hospitality. I lived in Chiang Mai for a bit over 2 years (where I chose to retire) & have now moved back to Australia to get away from the constant need to be wary of anything you may do to upset a Thai. Not a good life. Some like it me? No. Good luck if you still live there.

With respect Roomuk you have missed the point by quite a long way in trying to take us all off topic, the poster Duckamndon was addressing the topic which is ...." More dangerous." The answer is actually yes by about 67 to 33 . I went to Aus once, its Ok, they speak a language close to English too. Fair dinkum. The Aussies themselves are good people, just got to be a bit careful sometimes with those white fellas.

Yeah, probably got off topic a little there. You are right and I can see that now .But I was responding to the posters claims that part of the reason he found Thailand more dangerous was because that he it ripped off in bars and by tuk tuks. 52.50AUD gets you a lot more than four glasses of beer in Thai bars. And even if the tuktuk upped the price tenfold it would still be cheaper than oz.

And in my defense a couple of other Aussies sort of got what I was getting at and we nearly all agree it seems that we feel a lot safer stumbling around drunk at 4am, as many of of like to do in Thailand than what we do back there.

I think perhaps the thread maybe should have given a time reference. I was a pratunam in Bangkok, before the coup and only 400 meters from a bomb going off which unfortunately killed a kid. It was weird, even then there wasn't a sense of panic. Since the new government took over I think that has made Thailand safer than then. People are not getting killed like that anymore so that's a good thing.

And really only 300 odd have said it is getting more dangerous, but, yes, sure the majority. Everyone has a different life in Thailand, and for some it has been dangerous, because they are dead. The truth is probably in the middle, some things are getting more dangerous and some things are safer. The only thing I worry about is ICE affected people, but that is also a world wide problem.

And I also get your point that you do have to be careful of some of the white fellas. It was bloody terrible what the English did to our Aborigines, that's for sure.

Actually, I just read the original post and I can see why I may have gone a little off topic. He claims "Thailand has become extremely dangerous for any foreigner"

I strongly disagree with that statement. That is IMO ridiculous!!!!!!!

To be honest, if you don't piss dangerous people off, you should be ok....

Or are on the wrong bus or in the wrong car or are walking on the non existent pavements.

Or swimming off Phuket or diving on the islands or jump from balconies or hang yourself.

Driving anywhere here could result in your instant end in this world. They are without a doubt the most brainless, selfish, inconsiderate and impatient fools when driving anything. Add to this a large chunk who feel being drunk, using a phone, or both are mandatory to having a car. Then another chunk who feel having a 4 wheeled death trap with bull bars on the front is essential, especially if driving at high speeds in built-up areas. The list goes on and on and on....

Is it safe? As long as this country allows their countrymen to drive anything over the capacity of a space hopper it will continue to kill anyone needing to travel anywhere.

In regards to crime. I've never felt under threat from Thais and this continues today.

Excellent comment, with you 100 percent......

To be honest, if you don't piss dangerous people off, you should be ok....

Or are on the wrong bus or in the wrong car or are walking on the non existent pavements.

Or swimming off Phuket or diving on the islands or jump from balconies or hang yourself.

All that has been happening for years mate. The survey says is it getting MORE dangerous...

Buses have always been dangerous, pavements the same, swimming in Phuket? Only if there are more killer sharks. As for 'jumping' off balconies, like i said, don't piss dangerous people off, or get a ground floor apartment.

I am 100% convinced Thailand is getting more dangerous for foreigners. Economic opportunities are scarcer, the population has increased, there is tension with the military dictatorship, local police level of involvement, etc. Since my first trip in 2004 I have made 12 more trips there. Originally I was totally ready to buy a small condo for myself, and on several trips was ready to buy a business or two. I was completely sure I was going to retire there. But then after the 2006 Thaksin overthrow it became obvious there was no rule of law in Thailand and any business venture had great risk associated with it. Since the airport sit-in then the Bangkok riots and the floods, and the recent military coup, the situation has not improved. I will still holiday there, and I hope to spend many months of each year there shortly when I retire, but the country now looks jaded to me. And that is a huge disappointment because I so love the place and the variety.

Not sure if it has become more dangerous than it has always been. I never feel threatened by the Thai people, which is a lot more than I can say about Latin America, with it's current drug wars raging, or the Philippines. But, what I feel threatened by, is the utter lack of traffic safety, public safety, hazards on the sidewalks, and careless, reckless and untalented drivers. The lack of safety campaigns here, and the lack of concern on the part of the officials makes the place a lot more dangerous than it needs to be. My guess is that the greatest hazard here is on the roads. So, drive very carefully, maintain eyes in the back of your head, always use a high quality helmet whenever on your motorbike, insist your passengers do so also, and drive fairly slowly. That will increase your chances of safety.

There is so much that could be done officially, to make Thailand safer. If they would stop talking, and start acting, this place could be so much safer. Stay away from places like Dark Tao, where there is absolutely no law enforcement, and the police are owned by a few local mobster families. Use good judgment. And watch your head and feet always when walking on sidewalks. They can be a real hazard.

Baffling statistics fail to hide Thailand’s worrying gun crime problem

"IN January three people were shot and killed in Bangkok over what the Bangkok Post said was a, “long-standing dispute over parking.” Two women and a male neighbor who had intervened in the argument were killed by Thossaporn Pitakwattananon. In another long-standing feud, according to the Bankgkok Post, a gardener shot and killed a colleague at Thammasat University later in February.

Just this last weekend a reportedly “jealous lover” shot and killed his girlfriend in a Bangkok shopping mall, and immediately after the man shot himself in the head. A nine-year-old girl was hit in the face by a stray bullet.

These incidents happened just a few months following reports of Thailand’s high per capita gun murder rate, reportedly higher than that of the U.S. and three times higher than Cambodia’s murder rate".

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/02/thailand-gun-crime/

"It was recently reported that there has been a 54% increase in the number of tourists dying in Thailand this year over last year."

Make it illegal for tourist to hire motorbikes ----would probably result in a 64% decrease next year...............coffee1.gif

Yes they will be safe in the hands of the taxi maffia and safe driving van and bus drivers cheesy.gif

And it will stop people to take there life, hanging them self (hans tied behind the back) probably prevent people from falling of balconies as well......

I've seen this a lot, that hanging suicide couldn't possibly have their hands tied behind their back. First of all it's easy enough to to tie your hand like this ( try it - when you're alone ;} ) secondly it is not at all uncommon, known as no going back option. Certainly in and of itself, does not disprove suicide.

The reason the report says "baffling" is because it is bullkrap.

Did anyone bother to actually read it?

The number of total homicides is far lower, at around the 5,000 mark for each of those years. If the 20,000+ figure is true, then that would give Thailand an extremely high murder rate, although it is also likely that an error has been made concerning these statistics. Looking at other countries in the report its hard to find similar discrepancies.