SURVEY: Do you believe that Thailand is getting more dangerous for foreigners?

Scott

SURVEY: Is Thailand getting more dangerous for foreigners?  

581 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nah, getting safer all the time. Now cars have airbags, better brakes, safety systems etc, Hospitals are getting more advanced every year. Improvements in medicines. HIV isn't a death sentence anymore. Ambulances better equipped. Years of economic growth mean more people have money to feed themselves so don't have to mug tourists. Air travel is safer now with better technology.

Great place Thailand, great time to be alive, great people, great weather, great food, My biggest fear is running in to the negative farangs who complain constantly with all sorts of often imagined grievances. Music too loud, Thai people not understanding them properly, thainess? The type of people who don't know how to have a conversation unless they are complaining about this or that. I hope I don't come across one out their today. I didn't bother reading the posts here as I have a feeling that the way the question is worded it was planned to stir up these types.

I know what you mean, I get tired of farangs complaining, especially those who complain about farangs, oh wait, that would be you. Just remember Thailand isn't rate the second highest death, on the road, for nothing, nor is it rate the third highest death rate, by guns, just for the fun of it, never mind all the other deaths, you sir seem to be nothing but a Thai apologist, either that or you don't live here. If the same number of foreign deaths occurred in western countries, there would be outrage, here it seems to happen every single day, many are avoidable, e.g. Chinese on diving trips, but Thailand does NOTHING to stop it, especially air bags, better brakes, safety systems, HIV, which in fact still kills thousands, etc. Apologize for Thailand if you need to, but Mulder says "The TRUTH is Out There." As for your comment "Great place Thailand, great time to be alive, great people, great weather, great food," what a childish thing to say, something people say when they can't think of anything else, you could substitute so many other countries, for Thailand, and say the same stupid thing. So, PLEASE take your blind attitude complaining somewhere else.

While I, and apparently about a 2/3 majority, agree with you generally about his views being pollyanna-ish.., I disagree strenuously about wanting him to go somewhere else with them. What he posted was entirely relevant and belongs right here! It's simple-minded and lame trying to suppress someone simply because you disagree with them. He has every right to express his views just exactly as he did.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

smile.png

Regarding the question, I will cite one area of "danger" with which I am extremely familiar - the roads,

Many, many people, farangs and Thais tell me it is dangerous to ride my bicycle. In ten years of cycling I have not noticed any more or less danger in my experience. I have ridden in Isaan, in the cities and the countryside; I have ridden around Chiang Mai on all the busy roads, Mae Rim, Doi Saket, Saraphee, Hang Dong, all around the City itself. Now I am in the South of Thailand and it's no different here.

I ride, usually, in the middle of the day when the sun is really hot; I am told that is dangerous and stupid too - but not for me!

Four or five days a week I ride up to 50 kms, more than 4,500 kms per year. In addition, I ride to the shops for groceries and often have a couple bags to carry on my handlebars to make it even more dangerous!

I have driven a car (but never a motorbike) for the last 13 years - it was all dangerous

Oh, and I was a runner in England, USA, France, Spain, Portugal. For 25 years up to 80kms per week, nearly all on the roads without any incident worth reciting here.

Yes, the force has been with me but I know, it could all end in a single second!

If you want to reply to this please be kind to me: it is my 71st birthday today!

Happy birthday - and I do hope you have many more. But I must also add that as we all get older we have to stop doing some things. Not always because we cant do them anymore, but because we don't 'bounce' anymore. Fall off a bike at 20 and you land on feet, fall off at 40 and you hit and roll, fall off at 70 and you hit very quickly and very hard. Up to you - but I take bike to park/reserve and avoid roads with lots if traffic. Stay safe smile.png

All it needs is a further downturn in economy and violent robberies will increase. Happens every time. The traffic is getting worse simply because of more traffic. General attitude towards tourists has been turning more mercenary for at least a decade. So yes, the current trend is for the worse.

I have read many replies on this topic and conclude that something can be dangerous or not according to reality and people's perception. One can easily be involved in serious incidents where there is NO perceived danger.

Because something is difficult doesn't mean it cannot be done. Because something is "dangerous" or perceived to be, doesn't mean there will be an incident involving yourself, either now or ever; accepting that there is potential danger around every corner whether you "turn" that corner is a calculated risk. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, who knows? There but for the grace of chance and circumstance we all go!

Some people, sometimes, engage in activities that render them more likely to invoke the law of attraction. From the point of view of danger. if you decide to walk the Bangkok Streets at 2 am or you are a drunken bigot, or you are a mad driver, accept this has more risk of actual danger of injury to body and mind.

My earlier piece on my biking and running experience shows that even though I AGREE that it has danger written all over it, I don't worry. It's a calculated risk. I am extremely vigilant and all of my driving and riding is anticipatory.

Usually, it is people, not situations that are dangerous.

"It was recently reported that there has been a 54% increase in the number of tourists dying in Thailand this year over last year."

Make it illegal for tourist to hire motorbikes ----would probably result in a 64% decrease next year...............coffee1.gif

Yes they will be safe in the hands of the taxi maffia and safe driving van and bus drivers cheesy.gif

And it will stop people to take there life, hanging them self (hans tied behind the back) probably prevent people from falling of balconies as well......

So Taxi drivers (mafia ) that have killed tourist last year.......that would be none....

We are talking about tourist bokinger-----your saying that they commit suicide, I am sure there is the odd death---but the overwhelming number doing that would be ex-pats. The numbers are there for anyone who wants to look them up----or you can ignore them & just take a cheap shot.

Bad Trips - FIA Foundation

According to the FIA foundation for Automobile and Society, Thailand now rates the 2nd likeliest place on earth for Tourists to meet their in in a fatal road accident.Their new publication “Bad Trips: Road crashes main cause of tourist death and injury” is a detailed report that explains the truth about how many people die from vehicle related deaths per year for tourists abroad. Road accidents make up the most for all Tourists deaths

If you bother reading the question you might see it is

Do you believe that Thailand is getting more dangerous for foreigners?

Nah, getting safer all the time. Now cars have airbags, better brakes, safety systems etc, Hospitals are getting more advanced every year. Improvements in medicines. HIV isn't a death sentence anymore. Ambulances better equipped. Years of economic growth mean more people have money to feed themselves so don't have to mug tourists. Air travel is safer now with better technology.

Great place Thailand, great time to be alive, great people, great weather, great food, My biggest fear is running in to the negative farangs who complain constantly with all sorts of often imagined grievances. Music too loud, Thai people not understanding them properly, thainess? The type of people who don't know how to have a conversation unless they are complaining about this or that. I hope I don't come across one out their today. I didn't bother reading the posts here as I have a feeling that the way the question is worded it was planned to stir up these types.

I know what you mean, I get tired of farangs complaining, especially those who complain about farangs, oh wait, that would be you. Just remember Thailand isn't rate the second highest death, on the road, for nothing, nor is it rate the third highest death rate, by guns, just for the fun of it, never mind all the other deaths, you sir seem to be nothing but a Thai apologist, either that or you don't live here. If the same number of foreign deaths occurred in western countries, there would be outrage, here it seems to happen every single day, many are avoidable, e.g. Chinese on diving trips, but Thailand does NOTHING to stop it, especially air bags, better brakes, safety systems, HIV, which in fact still kills thousands, etc. Apologize for Thailand if you need to, but Mulder says "The TRUTH is Out There." As for your comment "Great place Thailand, great time to be alive, great people, great weather, great food," what a childish thing to say, something people say when they can't think of anything else, you could substitute so many other countries, for Thailand, and say the same stupid thing. So, PLEASE take your blind attitude complaining somewhere else.

While I, and apparently about a 2/3 majority, agree with you generally about his views being pollyanna-ish.., I disagree strenuously about wanting him to go somewhere else with them. What he posted was entirely relevant and belongs right here! It's simple-minded and lame trying to suppress someone simply because you disagree with them. He has every right to express his views just exactly as he did.

I was simply pointing out how stupid, and hypocritical, it is to "complain" about others who complain. A complainer is a complainer. As for having a "right" to his "opinion," he is in fact complaining about others having their "opinion."

While I, and apparently about a 2/3 majority, agree with you generally about his views being pollyanna-ish.., I disagree strenuously about wanting him to go somewhere else with them. What he posted was entirely relevant and belongs right here! It's simple-minded and lame trying to suppress someone simply because you disagree with them. He has every right to express his views just exactly as he did

If only more TV posters took such a reasonable view to those who disagree with their own views. It does not have to be the Pollyannas versus the BTEWs (Bitter Twisted Expat Whingers). It is not all Peaches and Cream here - but it is also not all Doom and Gloom - but it IS what you make of it. Some only see/smell roses and need to be careful of the thorns - some only see/smell the fertiliser and need to slow down and take another look. Both are correct - but one is also wrong - "a rose is a rose and by any other name would smell as sweet". Thailand is a rose garden and it has it all.

Thailand is probably no more dangerous than any other popular tourist destination, the real danger lies with irresponsible tourists, and the Chinese take some beating in this respect. Holiday makers take more risks than they would at home, some indulge in high risk activities that they are unfit for.

The standards of risk management in Thailand are a major cause for concern, but no different to, and in some cases better, than a lot of destinations.

Wherever I've been there had always been talk of the holidaymakers involved in accidents of some sort or another.

In a lot of cases tourists are at greater risk from other tourists (bar fights etc.) than locals.

But hey, let's use this as an opportunity to knock the Thai's!

I was simply pointing out how stupid, and hypocritical, it is to "complain" about others who complain. A complainer is a complainer. As for having a "right" to his "opinion," he is in fact complaining about others having their "opinion."

The issue is not about complaining - the guy said "My biggest fear is running into the negative farangs who complain constantly with all sorts of often imagined grievances". There are many TV posters who do nothing but complain all day every day - these are the ones both he and I and many others hope to avoid. There are also many TV posters who post very helpful advice - usually on the forums. The BTEWSs never (or very rarely) provide advice or opinion for others - they just complain. EXAMPLE; A bloke posted a sad story about his Thai wife being diagnosed with HIV and asked for help and advice. Many posts were made giving their advice and their own experiences. And then a BTEW posted that he always makes his Thai GFs have a HIV test first and then a joke comment! Totally inappropriate and atypical of the BTEW mentality - and the type us happy Expats try to avoid (and occasionally complain about).

The dangers encountered in Thailand have not changed much over the years but the type of tourists has changed. The large increase in tourists from countries that have little experience in international travel has cause a significant increase in deaths and accidents. Improving the statistics will take both changes in Thai and tourist behaviors.

Precisely, the advent of cheap airfares to South East Asia had resulted in the package holiday crowd filling bars and A&E departments at the local hospital.

I can fly to Bangkok from the UK cheaper than to many European destinations. With careful planning You can even get to Australia cheaper than a direct flight, as long as you don't mind stopovers, but this is what backpackers look for.

So many complaints about driving, traffic etc.

But is that the real answer to the question?

Remove traffic related topics / items and then ask again if Thailand is becoming more dangerous. Personally, I think not.

In over 7 years, I have never been attacked, beaten, bullied or robbed here whilst out of my place of residence.

The only thefts I have suffered have been sneaky ones from my wallet by females while in a relationship, but that is not dangerous and easily resolved (by kicking them out).

In all the bars I have visited - and there have been a lot - the only problems I have encountered is with other foreigners getting drunk / being anti-social.

Many Thai people I have met have never become angry, agressive or obnoxious. Not once have I been threatened from Mae Sot to Cha-Am to Pattaya and places inbetween.

More dangerous? Not in the circles I have moved in up to date.

did you all hear about the elderly German mugged in Udon thani by teens recently , who demanded money ,he refused and they beat him up , he is now in hosptal with brain damage and the hospital wants 200,000 up front / the poor guy was just out jogging when they mugged him.....

my family always says be carefull when i go out by bike in the dark as so many scroats are lurking in the shadows. its like victorian london out there with footpads and guys who will roll you over for a few bahts.

it reminds me of New York in the 70s when you were warned to carry a few bills to give to muggers so as to avoid getting beaten up if you refused ....

the german is still in hospital needing surgery when the 200k is paid up front

Nope, safe as long as you don't hang with dangerous people.

And as long as you don't try to cross the road in Pattaya or Bangkok,

Or don't get an argument with a jerk taxi driver

Or you don't take a visa run van which does not stop when the traffic light is red

Or you dont have massage where massage ladies are junior and will hurt you because they barely know how to do the job

Or as long as you dont walk on the foothpath believing that motorbikes should not ride there

Or you dont have a cheap haircut where the lady cares as much as if she was processing an animal , grabbing your hair for the shampoo.

or hitiing your head with the hair clipper

Or you dont get hurt by the bath bus because younger driver tend to forget what they are carrying and tend to have a more agressive drive

than before

Or ....

But in a sense you are right, if you dont stay with dangerous people. The thing is ... They are everywhere. Low educated and moody people are dangerous

by design

Edited by bodymassagemyfriend

All relative. Being aware is the first line of defence. Practice defensive driving at all times. Don't get into altercation with any Thai or argumentative farangs. Steer clear of any Chinese on motorcycles, all are wearing helmets. Alcohol and women are a potent mix, be careful. But, enjoy life.

Re: alcohol and women being a potent mix, who cares if women drink alcohol -- tipsy women can sometimes be lots of fun.

Women are even more fun when they're stoned(& you're not!).

did you all hear about the elderly German mugged in Udon thani by teens recently , who demanded money ,he refused and they beat him up , he is now in hosptal with brain damage and the hospital wants 200,000 up front / the poor guy was just out jogging when they mugged him.....

my family always says be carefull when i go out by bike in the dark as so many scroats are lurking in the shadows. its like victorian london out there with footpads and guys who will roll you over for a few bahts.

it reminds me of New York in the 70s when you were warned to carry a few bills to give to muggers so as to avoid getting beaten up if you refused ....

the german is still in hospital needing surgery when the 200k is paid up front

Very true and a sad story - he is now in private hospital and recovering. But this happens everywhere in the world - and I do not believe it is any worse in Thailand. From just looking on the web it is clear Brazil and Mexico are far worse. People are robbed (and killed) everywhere.

PS: Look at countries with convicted serial killers. Thailand doesn't even make the list - USA has so many it has a separate listing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_by_country

Does this mean I should never visit/live in USA? No - of course not - but I should be careful everywhere.

PPS - I have never needed it - but a 'throwdown' wallet is good advice to any tourist anywhere in the world (I always have one when travel).

It is not Thailand that has become dangerous. It is the sheer number of foreigners coming to Thailand that have created dangerous situations. Fifty years ago when I first came, there were hardly any foreigners in Bangkok and you could travel for days in the provinces without seeing any. Traffic has always been chaotic due to inexperienced drivers and no traffic control. As the years have have passed, foreign travel has increased and more and more foreigners come to Thailand representing all countries and all cultures. Some of these people bring their bad attitudes with them. In all my years here, I have never had a confrontation with a Thai person but I have had plenty with foreigners. Most of them were drunk and being obnoxious. I have watched the same type of person attempt to show their arrogant behavior to Thais and mostly getting what they deserve- a good thrashing. The majority of unfriendly Thai behavior towards foreigners that you see in tourist areas comes from dealing on a daily basis with rude foreigners. The arrogance that I see from foreigners towards everyone makes me wonder how they survive in their own country. These type of people are begging for a crime to happen. Unfortunately, most of these type of people are young and appear to have never learned any manners or social skills.

The pendulum is starting to swing- the future will see a continued lessening of Western tourists with an increase in Asian tourists.None of these Asian tourists will spend like the old style Western tourist . You will see Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza and Patpong go out of business as well as the strips in Pattaya and Phuket evolve to cater to Asian tourism.

Edited by Thaidream

IGood question. The horrific murders on Koh Tao island of Hannah and David have certainly shown that Thailand can be a dangerous place to travel in. The deaths of tourists by road traffic accidents is also of concern. The xenophobia of the government sometimes makes it feel more dangerous for foreigners. The political protests and unrest also bring danger. But overall, I feel nothing has changed it's same same. No better and no worse than 10 years ago. Nowdays foreign deaths are picked up on by media outlets and reported more, xenophobia is the same as when Thaksin was in power, road traffic accidents are the most dangerous. Wear a helmet riding a motorbike. Cross the road using a foot bridge. Don't ride your bicycle on busy roads. Look both ways when exiting a bus, van or taxi. One more tip. Don't argue with Thai people in an aggresive way. Good luck!

Edited by Wilsonandson

Thai behavior towards foreigners that you see in tourist areas comes from dealing on a daily basis with rude foreigners. The arrogance that I see from foreigners towards everyone makes me wonder how they survive in their own country. These type of people are begging for a crime to happen. Unfortunately, most of these type of people are young and appear to have never learned any manners or social skills.

The pendulum is starting to swing- the future will see a continued lessening of Western tourists with an increase in Asian tourists.None of these Asian tourists will spend like the old style Western tourist . You will see Soi Cowboy, Nana Plaza and Patpong go out of business as well as the strips in Pattaya and Phuket evolve to cater to Asian tourism.

You seem to have divided tourists into two groups,

1. 'Arrogant western tourists' getting what they deserve.

2. 'Asian tourists'

Yet most of the tourists reported as recently dying appear to be Asian, in particular Chinese.

Not to mention no confrontations are reported in the daily death toll, they are dying, scuba diving, snorkeling, swimming, falling off a ferry, ziplines, coach crashes, m/c accidents.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

To lower the levels of danger...Remember to always wear a condom

I hate to be negative Gemguy but my mate was wearing a condom when his lover's husband shot him stone dead in Thailand.

So I for one do not believe the theory that a condom guarantees safety.

To lower the levels of danger...Remember to always wear a condom

I hate to be negative Gemguy but my mate was wearing a condom when his lover's husband shot him stone dead in Thailand.

So I for one do not believe the theory that a condom guarantees safety.

note to self: always wear condom and kevlar vest while performing boom boom.

The question is : Is Thailand more dangerous than in the past? The answer on this website lies somewhere between yes and probably.

But we expats should not be feeling lonely.

We have now the bizarre case of the suicide of Police Lt. Colonel Jan Chaisawasdi.

First he has a disagreement with General Chan Ocha. Then he takes to his own face with a hammer knocking some teeth out. Following that he goes behind his house, puts a rope around his neck and hangs himself.

The police pathologist is now asked what about the bruising to his face, his answer is classic Thainess " Happens all the time"

I submit that Thailand is now more dangerous for visitors and more dangerous for Thais than before. I do not believe the Thais are prejudiced and only murder visitors, they are quite happy doing it to their own as well.

I voted getting more dangerous, and as I read many of the responses, I am tempted to change my response to

"it was always dangerous" .

When I first started coming to Thailand I was oblivious to many of the dangers, but as I get older and hopefully a little wiser, and more experienced, I also become cognoscente of the dangers. This does not change the dangers but it does change my exposure to them. So for me Thailand has become safer.

But given the current political climate, and breakdown of civil society I am inclined to say that things in Thailand have changed for the worst and the dangers have increased.

Mate I think you watch too much TV. Mulder is fiction much like most of what you say, such as HIV killing more people, no one dies of HIV, a few die of AIDS though.

I like the fact I can drive flat out and when I get caught, just sling the copper a few dollars and not pay a huge fine and lose my license.

I concede that I do complain about whining people, but apart from them life is great. I find Thais don't whine one percent as much as a lot of Farangs. I am glad I don't have to listen to the "outrage in the western countries" you refer to. Bad luck about the Chinese tourist, but I didn't know him, I don't care.

I could say I feel sorry for you living in fear and not enjoying your life, but I won't, because I don't. I came here to live my dream, and am doing it. The longer I am here the more I am loving it. "Substitute plenty of countries" maybe, I don't know. Where? Somebody suggested Portugal, I will check it out. I hope the gogos are as good there as they are here. I hope I can drive as fast as I want to also.

But where I was born it was cold, the people were stressed and the food was no where near as tasty or varied and unaffordable to eat out twice a day and the women were generally plus sized, swearing, smoking pisspots who were quite aggressive.

I am very happy here, I am not going to complain for the sake of complaining.

Thailand is the best!

It is not Thailand that has become dangerous. It is the sheer number of foreigners coming to Thailand that have created dangerous situations. Fifty years ago when I first came, there were hardly any foreigners in Bangkok and you could travel for days in the provinces without seeing any. Traffic has always been chaotic due to inexperienced drivers and no traffic control. As the years have have passed, foreign travel has increased and more and more foreigners come to Thailand representing all countries and all cultures. Some of these people bring their bad attitudes with them. In all my years here, I have never had a confrontation with a Thai person but I have had plenty with foreigners. Most of them were drunk and being obnoxious. I have watched the same type of person attempt to show their arrogant behavior to Thais and mostly getting what they deserve- a good thrashing. The majority of unfriendly Thai behavior towards foreigners that you see in tourist areas comes from dealing on a daily basis with rude foreigners. The arrogance that I see from foreigners towards everyone makes me wonder how they survive in their own country. These type of people are begging for a crime to happen. Unfortunately, most of these type of people are young and appear to have never learned any manners or social skills.

U know last year i read in the news that in Rayong a farang stabbed to death a ferocious dog that was broken loose.That dog was vicious attacking his own dog that he was walking out on a leace .The farang saw no other option then to stab the aggressive dog.Within minutes there was an rather angry mop of local thai villagers more then ready to lynch the farang for stabbing that dog.So police had relocated the farang before things got even more out of hand.

Now 2 days ago i read about thai youth in Udon is robbing and beating up elderly farangs for money and fun.

Then it makes me wonder why isnt there an angry mop of Thais outside demanding justice for these beaten up farangs? Why only for a Thai stray dog?