Another Roka Resident Dies of AIDS - Infected by "Doctor"

geovalin

Khmer Times/Mom Kunthear

Another HIV-positive resident of the commune in Battambang province where an outbreak of HIV-infection was first detected in December 2014 died on Saturday evening, raising the number of deaths linked to the outbreak to 13, commune chief Sem Pov said. Loung Orm, 82, died on Saturday evening and was cremated yesterday, her 18-year-old granddaughter Phan Saroth said.

“She would have lived longer and been healthy if she did not have AIDs. Since she was infected she took [anti-retroviral] medicines, but her health deteriorated and she got weaker by the day,” Ms. Saroth said yesterday. “She died from AIDs,” she said. “I feel great sorrow for my grandmother. I lived with her since my parents died and I know she did not want to leave me alone. She did not want to die like this.” Ms. Orm and nearly 300 residents of two villages in Rokha commune tested positive for the virus that causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) in November and December 2014 and in January of last year.

read more: http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/21377/another-roka-resident-dies-of-aids/