SIM card won't fit my new True Smart 3 phone.

giddyup

My trusty Samsung was looking worse for wear after more than 6 years so bought a True Smart 3 phone from Lazada for 399 baht. Has all the features I'm ever likely to need, so was all prepared to set it up when it arrived this morning. The new phone already had a mini SIM installed and I thought it would be simple enough to just replace it with my old SIM card, but no, it doesn't fit, it's much larger. Obviously the old SIM has all my numbers on it, plus I want to retain the same phone number, so what do I do?

I suggest you go to the nearest True Move office to see if they can create you a new SIM card. They might also have a way to cut the big one down to the small size since the chip size is the same..

The newer ones they have now are made so they will fit any phone by breaking out the small size for a frame around it that allow it to fit the old style.

I suggest you go to the nearest True Move office to see if they can create you a new SIM card. They might also have a way to cut the big one down to the small size since the chip size is the same..

The newer ones they have now are made so they will fit any phone by breaking out the small size for a frame around it that allow it to fit the old style.

I think if they cut the old SIM card down it won't have the features to use internet etc.

I had a sim cut down to micro size recently to fit in a new phone. Any mobile phone shop with the cutter tool should be able to do it while you wait. Wasn't aware the cut down sim had reduced features.

Edited by katana

I had a sim cut down to micro size recently to fit in a new phone. Any mobile phone shop with the cutter tool should be able to do it while you wait. Wasn't aware the cut down sim had reduced features.

I don't know enough about it, but my old SIM certainly didn't have internet features or MP3 etc, so are those features on the SIM or the phone?

Cutting the sim down to size won't remove any features - although the idea that anyone would assume this made me chuckle!

Most anywhere that deals with sim cards will have a gadget that will cut it down. I've even seen it successful done with a pair of scissors, but I wouldn't recommend this.

I had the same problem a short time back, although with AIS instead of True. I took my new phone and sim card into one of their stores in Bangkok and they gave me new micro sim, they also gave me an adapter in case I needed to use the sim card in a device that uses the larger sim cards. It took about ten minutes and I also signed up for a new phone plan that saves me a bundle over my old plan.

Cutting the sim down to size won't remove any features - although the idea that anyone would assume this made me chuckle!

Most anywhere that deals with sim cards will have a gadget that will cut it down. I've even seen it successful done with a pair of scissors, but I wouldn't recommend this.

My Mrs had intermittent problems on her phone when she had a full sized SIM cut to the next size down by a guy in the shop with scissors, so I think I would recommend going to the shop.

I had the same problem a short time back, although with AIS instead of True. I took my new phone and sim card into one of their stores in Bangkok and they gave me new micro sim, they also gave me an adapter in case I needed to use the sim card in a device that uses the larger sim cards. It took about ten minutes and I also signed up for a new phone plan that saves me a bundle over my old plan.

But I want to retain the same number from my old SIM. The new phone already has a micro SIM installed, but obviously it's a different number.

But I want to retain the same number from my old SIM. The new phone already has a micro SIM installed, but obviously it's a different number.

The new sim card would have everything for your old number on it. They transfer everything from the old one to the new one.

If they just cut it down to fit the new phone the phone determines what you can do with the number you have already.

The new sim card would have everything for your old number on it. They transfer everything from the old one to the new one.

If they just cut it down to fit the new phone the phone determines what you can do with the number you have already.

Thanks, going to see True this morning.

It's not the actual cutting/resizing of the SIM card that can potentially cause problems.

It's that the OP may well have an OLD SIM card that has technology that's not fully compatible with the latest technology being used by True and the other mobile ISPs, such as support for LTE.

The best course is to have True issue him a new SIM with his same phone number, which they can easily do, so his new phone will work best with True's current networks.

It's not the actual cutting/resizing of the SIM card that can potentially cause problems.

It's that the OP may well have an OLD SIM card that has technology that's not fully compatible with the latest technology being used by True and the other mobile ISPs, such as support for LTE.

The best course is to have True issue him a new SIM with his same phone number, which they can easily do, so his new phone will work best with True's current networks.

I don't think the SIM card has any functions as far as the service you can get. What the number is set up for is what counts, I can remember when AIS and True were switching everybody over to 3G they just updated the number for it. I can recall my wife getting an SMS about it and it was done. Her true number changed from showing True move to True move H on the phone.

You pop along to the phone company, looks like True and change it for one that fits.

Micro or Nano size.

They will transfer all your data.

I had the same problem. AIS downloaded all the data as Eclipse says, and the micro chip is yours.

No charge!

Yep, trivial job for about every phone booth.

They didn't even dare to charge me for.

Thank you and goodbye.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Well, what a palaver! I took my new phone and old SIM card to a True office for them to transfer the data across to the new SIM. No, they cut down the old SIM and put it in my new phone, and the new SIM in my old phone. It seems the new SIM's number can't be changed. This all took the better part of 40 minutes for something that I would have thought would take 10 minutes max. Anyway, it's all done now.

My gf has a new smartphone to which she transferred her old SIM, which isn't up to date, so she was referred by the phone company staff to a company that does transfer of old number and contact data on to an updated SIM. This seemed odd coming from the UK where phones are locked to the network of the company you contract to, and any changes have to be made by them if you don't want to breach the contract and void the warranty.

Anyway, I'm sure if you want to one of those stands in Big C or your friendly neighbourhood phone fixed they could do something for you. I've had problems repaired within 24 hours that solicited a sharp intake of breath back blighty, and all for a few quid.

I don't know enough about it, but my old SIM certainly didn't have internet features or MP3 etc, so are those features on the SIM or the phone?

My old SIM was just for phone calls not internet and continued working for calls and texts after it was cut. Kept the remaining part of the card to act as adapter if it was ever required for use in the old phone again.

I was a bit wary that cutting the SIM would break it since they had cut through some of the circuitry on the SIM but all seems to be OK. Also their cutter was a bit blunt and left some rough edges making fitting back in the adapter a bit of a struggle . Best to use a sharp cutter!