Aliceia guitars.

douginbkk

Has anyone on this forum ever bought a guitar from them? I was in their shop last month picking up a few guitars I took in earlier for setup and just conversationally asked if Shane (the luthier/owner) was still making six strings because they only had bass guitars displayed. I was told that he was extremely busy and didn't really have the time to make many guitars these days. However, they brought out a Paul Reed Smith shaped guitar out from the back of the shop to show me (all it had was just the body and neck). But the wood grain was just the most beautiful I've ever seen so I decided to have them finish that guitar for me. Has anyone on this forum ever bought a guitar from them and what do you think of their guitars? Mine won't be ready until next month, but I'm really exited. I have a lot of Fenders, Epiphones, and Gibsons. Can I expect my Shane guitar to be better in build than these since it will be coming from a professional luthier and not a run of the mill guitar factory?

I personally haven't, but my guitar teacher is a session musician for GMM Grammy and he recommends them.

The other Thai luthier is Thannakorn Guitars which also comes highly regarded.

I don't think you will be disappointed with your purchase.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

I bought a strat a few years ago. I was getting my Maton acoustic adjusted and he had a few of them hanging up at the time. It was only 5 000 THB so a no brainer from a luthier. It is very nice for the money. Fantastic action for a cheap strat. I have hardly played it if I am honest as I prefer to play fingerstyle acoustic. I was very happy with the work that he did on my Maton. As mentioned earlier, you should be able to spec yourself if you have ordered a guitar. I would be interested to know what you ordered, how much and if you are satisfied with it in the end. I am keen to get a nice classical built at some point. If anyone has any experience of getting one built here then I would be keen to hear experiences and recommendations.

I bought a strat a few years ago. I was getting my Maton acoustic adjusted and he had a few of them hanging up at the time. It was only 5 000 THB so a no brainer from a luthier. It is very nice for the money. Fantastic action for a cheap strat. I have hardly played it if I am honest as I prefer to play fingerstyle acoustic. I was very happy with the work that he did on my Maton. As mentioned earlier, you should be able to spec yourself if you have ordered a guitar. I would be interested to know what you ordered, how much and if you are satisfied with it in the end. I am keen to get a nice classical built at some point. If anyone has any experience of getting one built here then I would be keen to hear experiences and recommendations.

This was a Strat made by this luthier ? I am interested. Where is his shop located ?

Thank you for sharing. 5000 baht is incredible. Makes me wonder how he can sell so low after all the time put into making it, but happy for you. I am having a PRS style guitar made for 35000. Don't want a Korean made one and can't afford an American made Paul Reed Smith. I'm not knocking the Korean ones, it's just that American made guitars are becoming fewer and less affordable and I think will retain better resale prices. Aleciea let's me customize everything for the price, but I asked them to just do what they want and surprise me. They can change the pickups and stuff for me later if I don't like what they put in. I also play finger style on my steel string acoustics and would like to know how your classical guitar turns out if you ever get one built by them. I will post again after getting my guitar.

This was a Strat made by this luthier ? I am interested. Where is his shop located ?

I ordered a Paul Reed Smith type. Shane the owner is a luthier. Their shop is located on Rama 9 road, between Rachadapisek and Ramkhamhaeng. I don't know how to copy and paste their address using my mobile phone but you can look them up on Facebook, etc. I find my way there by GPS (Google Maps). I've been having my guitars setup there for just over a year and he does an amazing job. He does not charge much and has lots of foreign customers.

Aliceia's phone number is: 02 716 8806
I usually get the MRT to Param 9 and get in a taxi and call them as I don't use a smart phone and it's a bit out of the way. Strangely, the last time I went to pick up a guitar, I asked the taxi driver to wait 5 minutes and then take me back to the MRT. When I came out the taxi had gone. I had not paid him but I didn't like being in the middle of no where with expensive equipment in my hand. No taxis go past there. So you will need your driver to wait if you can organize that. I got a lift back to the main road from a family who were passing by in their car.
Yes, I like playing fingerstyle on steel too. The Maton's are good for this. I researched them when I bought it years ago and then I found that the only shop in the UK that I could get one in the UK at the time was around the corner from my house in SW London. So it seemed like it was meant to be. I rarely plug that in even though I have an acoustic amp.
There is a Thai guy who does some nice fingerstyle tabs. Denfingerstyle.com. I quite like his version of The Girl from Ipanema. I have an electro classical (Crafter) but I am dreaming of getting a real one. I like to play Cavatina and such like and I have been practicing tremolo (Tarrega, Albeniz etc). I am not that great but it is a nice escape. I keep telling myself one day I will gig again but I do not think I am confident enough to do it alone. We will see.
Edited by Villapete

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/15/2016 at 9:11 PM, moonoi said:

I personally haven't, but my guitar teacher is a session musician for GMM Grammy and he recommends them.

The other Thai luthier is Thannakorn Guitars which also comes highly regarded.

I don't think you will be disappointed with your purchase.

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

Does Thannakorn Guitars do repairs, e.g., fret jobs, as well?

The body has a maple top with mahogany backwood. The neck is mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. I don't remember what type of pickups I had put in, but I believe an older Gibson type.  They seem quite hot and I might actually have them switched for something less hot one of these days.  This guitar is very heavy (weight) and is by far the easiest playing guitar I have and also the best sustaining one.  I have a lot of guitars in my collection including Gibsons, Fenders, Epiphones, and a Jackson to compare it to.  

7 hours ago, douginbkk said:

The body has a maple top with mahogany backwood. The neck is mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. I don't remember what type of pickups I had put in, but I believe an older Gibson type.  They seem quite hot and I might actually have them switched for something less hot one of these days.  This guitar is very heavy (weight) and is by far the easiest playing guitar I have and also the best sustaining one.  I have a lot of guitars in my collection including Gibsons, Fenders, Epiphones, and a Jackson to compare it to.  

So the wood combination is the same as a Les Paul.  Since it's so heavy I guess he didn't do any kind of weight relief (chambering etc.)?  I'm curious cause I just bought a 2013 LP Standard with "modern weight relief".  Still fairly heavy but not like the old ones.  Sounds like you have a great collection!