What should I do?

Hi everyone,

I've been living in Thailand on a Non-B visa now. I'm thinking that I might terminate my contract

well before it expires.

The Immigration Offices will be closed on April 13, 14 and 15 for Songkran plus 16 and 17 for the

weekend according to the calendar 2016. I heard you have to cancel your visa at the Immigration

Offices before you leave Thailand by land. What should I do if I depart the country over the long

weekend when the offices are still closed?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Saigon

If you are flying out of the country you will not have a problem. At some border crossings you would need a termination letter from you employer to cancel your extension before they would let you leave the country.

Plus the cancellation of the work permit.

If you are flying out of the country you will not have a problem. At some border crossings you would need a termination letter from you employer to cancel your extension before they would let you leave the country.

Immigration has no interest in the work permit being canceled.

• Like 1

Thank you, ubonjoe.

The reason is I want to spend a few days for Songkran before leaving Thailand.

I'm going to exit Thailand through one of the border crossings into Laos.

Would they let me go if I submitted the termination letter to the IO at a border

crossing?

If I left the country on Monday 18 April 2016, would they let me cancel my

visa extension at the nearest Immigration Office to the border crossing before

departing the country?

Thank you, lostinisaan,

Could my employer cancel my work permit for me? That's what I heard about.

Thank you, ubonjoe.

Would they let me go if I submitted the termination letter to the IO at a border

crossing?

departing the country?

Only the Nong Khai and Mukdahan crossings have been reported as wanting the termination letter. If you leave when the immigration offices are closed they will do it at the crossing. If open they send you to the office near the crossing.

Unless you plan on coming back and working again the work permit cancellation is not that important. Your employer can do it for you if you sign a power of attorney for them to do it.

Thank you, ubonjoe.

crossing?

departing the country?

Only the Nong Khai and Mukdahan crossings have been reported as wanting the termination letter. If you leave when the immigration offices are closed they will do it at the crossing. If open they send you to the office near the crossing.

Unless you plan on coming back and working again the work permit cancellation is not that important. Your employer can do it for you if you sign a power of attorney for them to do it.

Thank you, ubonjoe.

Good to know this. I'll probably depart Thailand via either Nong Khai or Mukdahan

when the Immigration Offices are closed. Will they charge me for cancelling my

visa extension at the office near the crossing because I won't do it at the office in

the province where I live south of Bangkok. I'm planning to go see my friend in Isaan

for this coming Songkran before leaving for Laos.

As for my work permit, I should cancel it before leaving the country because I might

come back to Thailand to work again. What should I do if I want to cancel it on my

own?

Edited by Saigon

There is no fee for canceling the extension.

You can cancel your work permit by submitting this form at the work permit office: http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/form_Return.pdf

Thank you, ubonjoe.

When should I go to The Labor Office to cancel my work permit on my own

if I left Thailand over the weekend, when the office is closed? Could I go

to the office on April 12 to cancel it and depart the country on April 17?

Edited by Saigon

You will have to cancel the visa extension prior of leaving Thailand as it could be very well that the exit would be denied. A friend of mine worked for a BOI company and did not cancel his visa, as he tried to exit via Suvanabhum Airport, the exit was denied and he had to go back to Chiang Mai to cancel the visa at the local immigration. Other borders may require only a termination letter of the employer but to be sure, the best option is to cancel the visa extension at your local immigration before leaving and it saves a lot of tears

Edited by Analytics

You will have to cancel the visa extension prior of leaving Thailand as it could be very well that the exit would be denied. A friend of mine worked for a BOI company and did not cancel his visa, as he tried to exit via Suvanabhum Airport, the exit was denied and he had to go back to Chiang Mai to cancel the visa at the local immigration. Other borders may require only a termination letter of the employer but to be sure, the best option is to cancel the visa extension at your local immigration before leaving and it saves a lot of tears

Thank you, Analytics.

I might sound a bit optimistic but that should be alright if I go to one of the border

crossings with Laos with a termination letter from my employer. However, I've still

got 10 months left on my 1-year visa extension now so I might get turned back at

the border crossing and be forced to go back to my local Immigration Office just to

cancel my visa extension before I'm allowed to leave the country. You never know...

Did your friend whose exit was denied at Swampy unfortunately have a termination

letter with him or not?

Would you think it possible for me to go to my local Immigration Office on April 12

and ask the IO to postdate the expiry date so that I can leave the country on April

17?

Edited by Saigon

I don't recall any other report of a person being denied departure from country at an airport because they did not camel their extension. I suspect there may of been more to the story than what you were told.

Many people have left at the border with a termination letter and did not have a problem.

I don't recall any other report of a person being denied departure from country at an airport because they did not camel their extension. I suspect there may of been more to the story than what you were told.

Many people have left at the border with a termination letter and did not have a problem.

what i dont understand how INO can stop you from leaving Thailand if you have a valid passport and no overstay! There is no law for this. It would mean than every GEO or Manager of á Thai Company who is a foreigner has to cancel his work Permit and Extension. By law you can travel how often you want, may be your Job is to travel and work outside of Thailand sometimes.

May be you Need for the Extension a reentry Permit, this i dont know but to stop people traveling because they work in Thailand make no sense and would be against international law.

Thank you, ubonjoe.

crossing?

departing the country?

I cancelled my work permit last year, by going directly to the labour office (without a letter from my school). The labour office gave me a letter to take to immigration where I cancelled my visa. I had no assistance from my school whatsoever.

what i dont understand how INO can stop you from leaving Thailand if you have a valid passport and no overstay! There is no law for this. It would mean than every GEO or Manager of á Thai Company who is a foreigner has to cancel his work Permit and Extension. By law you can travel how often you want, may be your Job is to travel and work outside of Thailand sometimes.

May be you Need for the Extension a reentry Permit, this i dont know but to stop people traveling because they work in Thailand make no sense and would be against international law.

If you have a re-entry permit they will not stop you at a border crossing. They are looking for people that stopped working long before leaving the country and did not cancel their extension then.

They will not turn a person away at the airport because they would have to produce a valid reason for doing it after a person has already checked inf for a flight.

Can I ask you this one more time?

Would you think it possible for me to go to my local Immigration Office on April 12

and ask the IO to postdate the cancellation of my visa extension so that I can leave

the country on April 17?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Saigon

Can I ask you this one more time?

and ask the IO to postdate the cancellation of my visa extension so that I can leave

the country on April 17?

Thank you in advance.

If you have a termination letter dated on or after the 17th you could go to immigration and cancel your extension on the 12th. They would post date the cancellation to the date on the letter.