What is the 7 baht charge for packages?

Hal65

Good post.

I've recently had two parcels from the UK. Normally the postman asks for sign, but instead he now asks for 7 baht, which of course I don't mind at all. In fact he gets 10 baht as I can't be bothered with the change and I'm so relieved to get my parcel

I guess it must be some form of delivery charge. It certainly has nothing to do with the contents as they were only 1000piece jigsaws from the UK and weighed virtually nothing and had no real 'value'. Curious to get confirmation from anyone in the know. thumbsup.gif

It was explained here at TV in another thread , the 7 Baht is some type of delivery or processing charge. I think is is only levied on small packages that have a low postage rate

Has nothing to do with VAT, since VAT is a percentage of the cost of goods and is only levied on International packages

Did the package has rope tied around them?

the Thai post office seem to insist on having ropes tied around packages, when you drop them off at the post office, if you tied one yourself that's fine, but if you didn't they tied it around for you for a fee... I'm not sure how much.. maybe 7 baht

Their logic seem to be that packages that has ropes around is easier to be transport on motorbikes.... anyway it must be a good earner for them

Maybe international package that didn't have ropes tied around, once it enter the Thai postal system they tied it and charged you for it... for packages that has tax to be paid normally they leave a note for you to visit the post office/depot to pay them.. not paying directly to the postman

Consider the Thai 'face' if you had packages from overseas that they're able to deliver to your door without ropes tied around... next time when you try to send some package, they won't be able to justify the need to charge you for the rope

Did the package has rope tied around them?

the Thai post office seem to insist on having ropes tied around packages, when you drop them off at the post office, if you tied one yourself that's fine, but if you didn't they tied it around for you for a fee... I'm not sure how much.. maybe 7 baht

Their logic seem to be that packages that has ropes around is easier to be transport on motorbikes.... anyway it must be a good earner for them

Maybe international package that didn't have ropes tied around, once it enter the Thai postal system they tied it and charged you for it... for packages that has tax to be paid normally they leave a note for you to visit the post office/depot to pay them.. not paying directly to the postman

Consider the Thai 'face' if you had packages from overseas that they're able to deliver to your door without ropes tied around... next time when you try to send some package, they won't be able to justify the need to charge you for the rope

Digbeth. No string on my parcels.

I have received a few packages over the last weeks, and haven't been charged anything for any of them. So when I was charged 7 Baht for a package this week I asked the postman what the fee is for, and he said the 7 Baht is a delivery fee for packages over a certain weight. Not really bothered by the fee, but was a little curious.

Sophon