Baffling statistics fail to hide Thailand's worrying gun crime problem

webfact

Gun control anyone?

You'd think so wouldn't you. I mean here in Cambodia the UN actually did something well when they had their gun amnesty, the vast majority of guns were turned in. Today there are still gun murders but no where near the rate of Thailand. The only people here with guns are criminals and the elites (often the same people).

Incompetent police, incompetent leadership and the ridiculous issue of losing face. The country will not improve in any significant way in the foreseeable future due to a truly bizarre, highly superstitious and extremely racist culture. One that is not shared to anything like the same extent in neighboring countries I might add.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids learn to build their own guns at technical schools, it's really plenty of homemade guns, can buy for a couple thousand bahts, there's nearly one in every house. Add this to very short tempered mentality and attitude to understand why this is hopeless

The price is around 1.200 THB. And you can find construction videos on youtube!!!

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B7%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2.22/.38/.45&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=LfXCVu-nI8uLuwT7sL-ACQ

The police can find very easy the dealers, if they want!!! Just check the Google results, Youtube comments and Facebook sites. But nothing happens ....

Thailand Waterworks Authority had been using high lead content pipes for many decades. Many studies had shown that lead poisoning could really be a cause of violent crime. For those who had been exposed to lead as toddlers, even in small amounts, the scans revealed changes that were subtle, permanent and devastating. The toxic metal had robbed them of gray matter in the parts of the brain that enable people to pay attention, regulate emotions and control impulses......

This is just a few sample articles...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jan/07/violent-crime-lead-poisoning-british-export

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watchdog/ct-lead-poisoning-science-met-20150605-story.html

It's not about gun control.

Although many are quick to jump on that bandwagon and are missing the point.

It's about self-control and the childlike mentality that is a cancer on this nation: Losing Face.

"The high numbers of homicides in Thailand, it was reported, was often due to “loss of face and businesses disputes”, which recent deaths would appear to confirm."

"What may make Thailand stand-out however is that so many murders we hear about ... happen over what most people would consider trivial matters, mostly concerning ‘loss of face’."

“You see in Thailand there’s no 1, 2, 3,” he said. “There’s only a 3. In some countries you have a shouting match, then you have a fight and sometimes it goes to murder.

Here, you can get into an argument and the next thing you know you have been shot.” People don’t like losing face, he said, and on top of that it’s easy to acquire a firearm."

"As has been reported, losing face seems to bear much of the responsibility for murders in Thailand, perhaps more so than in other countries where ‘face’ is not deemed quite as important."

No it is not.

Human nature cannot prevent the people who may turn crazy easily to do so.

Gun control just limit the casualties

(But it is a good argument for the NRA coffee1.gif )

I want a pistol.....but the law won't allow me to own one. On the other hand my wife who is a land owner and has money in the bank can go through the process of obtaining one.....or just ask her brother if she can borrow one of his!

^^^

Case in point.

(Although many are quick to jump on that bandwagon...)

the NRA??

What on earth does that have to do with murders in Thailand? And the "loss of face"?

facepalm.gif

Well it is easy to say : guns are not the problem, however when you look at the stats you can see that the more guns you have in circulation, the more chance you have to get shot.

Also hot tempered people having a gun instead of a spoon are more likely to shoot people once they re raging and "lost control/face"

The NRA reference is because the argument of "gun is not the issue" is one of their mantra

^^^

I couldn't give a rat's a$$ what the NRA's mantra is.

Or any other rationalization some insecure fool tries to give for owning a gun.

"Well it is easy to say : guns are not the problem..." blink.png

I never said anything of the sort.

I was refering to the article at hand.

And the primary reason pointed out as the cause of the violence.

thumbsup.gif

hailands'

It's about self-control and the childlike mentality that is a cancer on this nation: Losing Face.

"The high numbers of homicides in Thailand, it was reported, was often due to “loss of face and businesses disputes”, which recent deaths would appear to confirm."

"What may make Thailand stand-out however is that so many murders we hear about ... happen over what most people would consider trivial matters, mostly concerning ‘loss of face’."

“You see in Thailand there’s no 1, 2, 3,” he said. “There’s only a 3. In some countries you have a shouting match, then you have a fight and sometimes it goes to murder.

Here, you can get into an argument and the next thing you know you have been shot.” People don’t like losing face, he said, and on top of that it’s easy to acquire a firearm."

"As has been reported, losing face seems to bear much of the responsibility for murders in Thailand, perhaps more so than in other countries where ‘face’ is not deemed quite as important."

"It's not about gun control"

You're saying it's all about loss of 'face', and how people resort to guns to solve their 'face' problems. Indeed, loss of 'face' is a cultural trait in SE Asia, more so than in any other continent I've visited.

Which do you think is easier to control/change....1. Loss of 'face' or ...2, Easy availability of guns? Its a 'no-brainer". Remove the guns and loss of 'face' cannot then be used to justify pulling the trigger.

I want a pistol.....but the law won't allow me to own one. On the other hand my wife who is a land owner and has money in the bank can go through the process of obtaining one.....or just ask her brother if she can borrow one of his!

Owning land and having money in the bank and also not being foreign, was an amendment to the law made during Thaksin's reign. Current Thai law states that you must be over 20 years old, employed, have a permanent Thai address, be mentally and physically able, not have been imprisoned within the past 5 years nor ever for a violent crime nor civil unrest. The gun license is available to foreigners who can meet those requirements and some more, I'm not sure about marriage and retirement visa's, but as an employee I was invited to obtain the license by a high ranking colleague who assured me I would be accepted with his recommendation. It probably comes more down to the required letter of recommendation than anything else.

No real need to worry as an expat/tourist. I think it is mainly Thais shooting Thais. Criminal mafia types or jealous lovers. I am trying to think, but the only Aussie shot in Thailand that I can remember, was one in Pattaya/Jomtien last year. By another Aussie! The cops solved that one pretty quickly.

Anyone know how many westerners were shot by Thais last year? I certainly don't think there were any random ones, maybe a couple of money/business/ wife disputes.

Anyone know?

Remember no transparency in any sector. 10 million known guns. And higher hand gun murders, per population than America!

e

I think if you were to count the weapons deaths caused at home and abroad (Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan etc,) then the Americans would still be "winning".

An order for 150,000 pistols sig sauer p320 @ 18,000 baht a gun = 270000000 baht ,

a policy of no hand in service pistol you have now , then no new one given,

scrutiny by independent ,verifiable and accountable issuer.

when you consider technology with stun guns and tasers and strobe lights as an effective tool one wonders why we need more guns in todays society period.

Those deterrents aren't used against guns. They are used against unruly and otherwise dangerous people to subdue them physically.

If a guy is threatening you with a gun...

"Never bring a stun gun to a gunfight."

Cheers.

thats the point remove all the guns , none needed anymore,

Remove all the guns, knives, swords, brass knuckles, and any other weapons.

Remove all the people who have violent, anti-social, psychopathic and psychotic tendencies.

Remove criminals and those with criminal tendencies.

Remove all who demonstrate any behavior or thoughts not considered PC or in line with state thinking and culture.

That should do it.

Oh yes, and have a well armed, well trained security services to protect those who make all he decisions.

Baerboxer you must be American...

Gun control anyone?

No. Just like the US, I'll take it that way it is, guns and all. But then again, I was brought up in a gun culture. In close quarters, I could probably do more damage with a machete than a 'standard capacity' pistol.

I am from usa, we have a few guns also. I used to be of the mind that we needed gun control-some rules and regulations are needed. I think the problem is more about the mental health of a society. We are not raising our children to become mature, responsible adults. I stopped at a coffee shop in thailand, my 11 year old daughter went to the restroom with my wife waiting for her, she came out-there was a loaded pistol sitting on the sink. The owner of the shop put it in a bag-she said she knew who it belonged to-a customer who stops in with his wife. I told her she should call police and turn it in-of course not(what was I thinking), its thailand. I was pissed, someone who would be so stupid to do such a thing should not have a gun. We as a whole are doing a poor job raising our children. So much corruption in Thailand, most who have any wealth, got it dishonestly, so yes they need to watch their back. The corruption is so bad Thais are almost are forced to be apart of it to get ahead. If you are new to Thailand and drive-control your temper-most of the a holes obnoxiously driving their mercedes or bmw on the road have a pistol with them. The neighbor who is an a hole probably has a pistol in his house. The maturity level of the average thai male is low, the chances of him using that pistol are high. All this being said, chances of a gun crime are still very low. In USA some of the gun owners say we need that gun for protection, when was the last time you heard a criminal was stopped by a citizen with a pistol? But all to frequently when was the last time you heard of a child killing another child because they got their parents gun? I am talking in the united states of course. I am married to a thai and have been visiting for 15 years. Ideally nobody should have a pistol or need one, it would take care of a lot of needless death and crime. Not going to happen.

I do agree with your analysis

However, removing guns is easier than reshaping the psyche of millions of so-called "adults"

An order for 150,000 pistols sig sauer p320 @ 18,000 baht a gun = 270000000 baht ,

when you consider technology with stun guns and tasers and strobe lights as an effective tool one wonders why we need more guns in todays society period.

Those deterrents aren't used against guns. They are used against unruly and otherwise dangerous people to subdue them physically.

Cheers.

thats the point remove all the guns , none needed anymore,

Remove all the guns, knives, swords, brass knuckles, and any other weapons.

Remove all the people who have violent, anti-social, psychopathic and psychotic tendencies.

Remove criminals and those with criminal tendencies.

Remove all who demonstrate any behavior or thoughts not considered PC or in line with state thinking and culture.

That should do it.

Oh yes, and have a well armed, well trained security services to protect those who make all he decisions.

Baerboxer you must be American...

No. He is Sarcastic. Look it up on a map...

Prejudiced much?

Cheers.

That is why in the USA there are so many deaths by gun, because everyone has one so the police and others will have to use guns. And often when guns are used people die, that does not happen in civilized countries where the gun laws are stricter so the police has to result less to using a gun (not to mention that normal people don't have to result to using guns)

Thailand and USA and other countries made their bed and now slowly destroy themselves from the inside out without terrorists and such because of the wide availability of guns.

yesterday our cousins boyfriend was shot at while riding his motorbike outside Big C in Surat Thani, the shooter missed so the rider went back so they could have another shot. The boyfriend rode beside a large truck blocking their view of him and went to the police station to report it and after describing the bike and riders was told by police that the same pair had been doing it for some time in that area so they could rob anyone they were able to shoot. Have to wonder exactly when the police were actually going to try to stop anymore attempted shootings, with an attitude like this is it any wonder that shootings are on the rise, police will not even attempt to arrest/stop gun carrying idiots that use them around busy shopping centres and heavy traffic.

No real need to worry as an expat/tourist. I think it is mainly Thais shooting Thais. Criminal mafia types or jealous lovers. I am trying to think, but the only Aussie shot in Thailand that I can remember, was one in Pattaya/Jomtien last year. By another Aussie! The cops solved that one pretty quickly.

Anyone know how many westerners were shot by Thais last year? I certainly don't think there were any random ones, maybe a couple of money/business/ wife disputes.

Anyone know?

Sure, it is mainly Thais shooting Thais, not sure if the youth gangs shoot as many or more than the real mafias but they certainly shoot their fair share.

Anyone know?

Sure, it is mainly Thais shooting Thais, not sure if the youth gangs shoot as many or more than the real mafias but they certainly shoot their fair share.

Boys will be boys.

Unless they are ladyboys.

Or Tomboys.

Lets something clear we are not taking about guns, we are talking about weapons. There is a big difference. If any of you have seen the movie "Full Metal Jacket" you would understand.

In fact, we are talking about culture.

We have evidence that humans are able to live in much greater harmony than is found in Thailand. Random examples: Scandinavia, Japan, Korea, Singapore

We must identify why some societies fare much better than others.

Many issues in Thai culture and society that must be addressed.

Have you ever noticed that people here just cannot disagree? They do not know how to disagree and detach their ideas of disagreement with a particular concept or decision from the person or people involved. Hence 100 years of chaotic politics (among the most chaotic in the world).

They must address their cultural shortcomings which I imagine will be incredibly painful for them. Redefining the Thainess they are so permanently proud of.

That kind of writing in Europe would almost lead to getting prosecuted for "hate speech"... even thought it's entirely correct.

Gun control anyone?

You'd think so wouldn't you. I mean here in Cambodia the UN actually did something well when they had their gun amnesty, the vast majority of guns were turned in. Today there are still gun murders but no where near the rate of Thailand. The only people here with guns are criminals and the elites (often the same people).

Incompetent police, incompetent leadership and the ridiculous issue of losing face. The country will not improve in any significant way in the foreseeable future due to a truly bizarre, highly superstitious and extremely racist culture. One that is not shared to anything like the same extent in neighboring countries I might add.

Yes, that's a wonderful idea... lets disarm the law abiding citizens and let the criminals have their guns, brilliant idea.

It's bit like that danish girl that was almost raped but saved herself by using pepperspray on the immigrant attacker and now she will (or was already?!) get prosecuted for having an "illegal weapon".

No it is not.

Human nature cannot prevent the people who may turn crazy easily to do so.

Gun control just limit the casualties

(But it is a good argument for the NRA coffee1.gif )

Gun control doesn't limit any casualties...

Swedens murder rate is about 90 each year* and 30-35% of them are with guns and just 1-2 each year is committed with a legal gun, rest are with illegal guns.

*since 2005 but there was peak of 111 murders in 2007.

THE APPALLING JUSTICE SYSTEM IS A PRIME CAUSE

For every Thai who goes to Court, there are 10 more who use "San Tia"

Why is this so? Because the lawyers and judges are so bent, that to get justice in the Courts, you must be very rich, and/ or well connected.

Rather than be abused by the Courts, most Thais choose direct (violent) action, which is much quicker, cheaper and more reliable.

Who can blame them?