Do you like KSK more than Maya?

bangmai

I can't quite put my finger on it, but KSK is a more enjoyable shopping experience. I've had go to Maya a few times for the AIS Store (which was excellent), but something about the Mall...seems like the crowds don't flow through it well, but are all going up and down the multiple escalators. Elevator is just as chaotic. Maybe it's because Maya is way more touristy, with a lot of folks I can do without, while KSK is more locals, taking care of business. Any thoughts?

I like browsing through Rimpings at Maya. They're much more organised and they don't price things in such small type you can't read the labels.

There is also a great choice of small and medium restaurants.

I will give Rimping a better rating than Tops, in several areas. I was discussing Promenda with a friend yesterday, and I told him the only reason to go to Prom, would be to run into Rimping and get some cold Heinekens, with the car double parked and running on the curb....might be true for Maya, as well.

Edited by bangmai

One for the ladies, well done.

Sorry, if the topic didn't mesh with your upbringing in a poor UK neighborhood...A few weeks ago, I posted the best FD rates in CM. Might as well of been addressing a graveyard...oh wait a minute...I was.....but the semi-anual "where to buy bedsheets" will get 50 replies...with at least four explaining the big sale they have twice a year in the basement of AP Plaza, that has actually been going on the entire 12 years that I have been coming here.

Most of the expats I see hanging around KSK are male. Looks like it's part of the daily routine for many.

perhaps that explains the numerous reports of "working girls" at KSK....or perhaps that explains why there are lots of males "shopping" at KSK. I think that BKK Bank branch is deep rooted in the expat community.

One for the ladies, well done.

Sorry, if the topic didn't mesh with your upbringing in a poor UK neighborhood...A few weeks ago, I posted the best FD rates in CM. Might as well of been addressing a graveyard...oh wait a minute...I was.....but the semi-anual "where to buy bedsheets" will get 50 replies...with at least four explaining the big sale they have twice a year in the basement of AP Plaza, that has actually been going on the entire 12 years that I have been coming here.

It's nothing to do with my upbringing. I'm not a shopper, in terms of seeing it as a pastime, and never have been. I do it only when necessary and avoid shopping malls as much as possible. I thought they were designed with women and children in mind and that the men there were being dragged around under protest.

I go to KSK twice a year to buy tennis shoes, and when I dived in and out the other day, it seemed very quiet , with plenty of empty units, and a bit tatty. That was only the far corner, near the back, on the ground floor, so may not represent the whole place. It was Monday - I don't go to malls at the weekend. Too noisy.

I've never been to Maya or Central Festival, and went once to Promenada. My opinion is - it's a mall.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Most of the expats I see hanging around KSK are male. Looks like it's part of the daily routine for many.

If most expat males hang around KSK, what about the expat ladies?

Most of the expats at KSK being male, does not equate to most expat males hang around KSK. At least I hope not. Better things to do, surely!

I find KSG to be rather large with mostly empty spaces. They could do some spooky movies in it with out having to get in any ones way.

Maya I know I am wrong but every time I walk in there I look around and get the feeling nothing here to buy. Grab a bite and leave. I much prefer the Cinema at central so no longer bother with the Maya. I find the Rimping to have narrow Isles.

Hugely disappointed with the setup on the roof.I was looking forward to a place to go sit enjoy a coffee or hot chocolate and view the city. Silly me.facepalm.gif

I had a hair in my soup last week, at Maya...Higher rent=lower wages....

"Waiter, waiter, there's a hair in my soup !"

"Sorry, Sir, we're fresh out of rabbits, today !" rolleyes.gif

But returning to the OP, I find KSK to be slightly shabby & chaotic, a bit like me really, that's why I prefer it ! Haven't yet even been to Maya, so I can't compare, but I find Central-Festival to be a clinical soul-less place, one might be almost anywhere on the planet, the modern malls just don't feel very Chiang Mai to me. sad.png

KSK is like an elderly Aunt and I'm quite fond of it whilst Maya is like a teenage sexy chick and as for Central Festival that's like a 20 something sophisticated socialite who just MUST show off. Central Airport is the middle aged 40 something who was glamorous once but has seen better days.

KSK is where the heart is, Central Festival/Maya where the good shops are

KSK .good and bad, as a topic been covered many times. Most of the retirees and others you see there probably live within walking distance.Confirmed by the number of cars in the basement as against numbers shopping.Yes its shabby but has every bank and a very busy, well stocked, supermarket which covers

most peoples shopping needs.

Window shopping or glitz is not a priority for many.

KSK is also a popular destination for songthaews. Not everyone gets there on foot or via car.

Never ceases to amaze me how when I'm on the other side of town if I ask a songthaew driver to take me to " pai Huey Kaew, pump Shell" he may do the mental calculus and decide no. So, I'll ask again "pai Kad Suan Kaew" and he decides it's OK. Huh? If he's driving to Kad Suan Kaew, then he HAS to continue on down Huey Kaew to the pump Shell intersection to do a U-turn.

But, conversely people do park at Kad Suan Kaew even if they have other destinations, like Suan Dok hospital. Yup, that's right. It's easy to get a songthaew to go between the two, at least before 3 pm. In fact, most of the songthaews that turn off Suthep Rd. and run up the east side of the Sripat building are looking for passengers going to Kad Suan Kaew. The song thaews that stop in front of Suan Dok/Sripat complex on Suthep Rd. would rather head toward Kad Luang/Wararot Market.

Pretty funny, Nancy. I've been through the same drill. Shell was better for me as it is very close to Dayli, which is where I was going anyway, and always was able to get to KSK for 20, but they would say 100 THB to Dayli....everytime they dropped me off at KSK, they would keep going west, until at least the Shell....It just doesn't register for them. I'm more likely to get off at KSK and cut through the building, by the hotel and out the back into the Sirigarnlankagarn Neighborhood, which puts you very close to the Nimman area. I wonder if H4 residents must pay a premium to get up there, and maybe they think you are an H4 resident looking for a standard fee to get to H4, when you say Shell Station. You might as well say QT or Exxon, because it is almost guaranteed they will act like they don't know what you are talking about. That entire strip of HK is infested with both unscrupulous TT and ST after dark.

BTW, from anywhere on Suthep, even way up by CMU, it is very easy to get one to take you to Tha Phae Gate...for 20...and usually they will bisect the Old City. The biggest downside is them dropping off in Nimman, and getting in heavy traffic, but that won't happen if you are just east of Nimman. Airport Plaza almost always gets a grunt or groan, unless they are already going that way, then they will even do it for 20...we'll see if the Nimmman extension makes getting through there easier, or even possible, without going to the moat for two u-turns.

Edited by bangmai

Both KSK and the new Central Festival (and Airport Plaza too,) malls seem to me to feel like 'working shopping malls,' places where people go to 'buy' things.

Maya feels more like a place where people go to 'see' things.

Central Festival is a see things mall too. I've been there plenty and other than a few Chinese tourists, can't recall ever seeing people carrying large bags of merchandise to their cars. It's the kind of place that ladies buy one small item like a cosmetic item or fashion accessory and proudly display the little tiny bag which bears the French or Italian brand name or logo, shoot a couple selfies of them carrying the little bag, etc. Same as in Bangkok.

I enjoy all my Maya experiences. I consider Maya part of the community where I currently live.

My interest are K-bank, AIS, SFX Cinema, Rimping Market and a few restaurants. The local market beside Maya is a interesting place to wonder around.

There's many people who enjoy the study or relax center on the 5th floor. During the evening, the restaurants / bar on the 6th floor is delightful and charming. The sunset on the 6th is breathtaking.

Edited by Motown239

Both KSK and the new Central Festival (and Airport Plaza too,) malls seem to me to feel like 'working shopping malls,' places where people go to 'buy' things.

I go to Central Festival to see Thai girls legs.

Not much else there.

Apart from the cheese counter.

Not much else there.

Just so long as you're still able to differentiate between the two...

Not much else there.

Just so long as you're still able to differentiate between the two...

Nibbling on the cheese is slightly cheaper ....... but not by a lot!

Pretty funny, Nancy. I've been through the same drill. Shell was better for me as it is very close to Dayli, which is where I was going anyway, and always was able to get to KSK for 20, but they would say 100 THB to Dayli....everytime they dropped me off at KSK, they would keep going west, until at least the Shell....It just doesn't register for them. I'm more likely to get off at KSK and cut through the building, by the hotel and out the back into the Sirigarnlankagarn Neighborhood, which puts you very close to the Nimman area. I wonder if H4 residents must pay a premium to get up there, and maybe they think you are an H4 resident looking for a standard fee to get to H4, when you say Shell Station. You might as well say QT or Exxon, because it is almost guaranteed they will act like they don't know what you are talking about. That entire strip of HK is infested with both unscrupulous TT and ST after dark.

BTW, from anywhere on Suthep, even way up by CMU, it is very easy to get one to take you to Tha Phae Gate...for 20...and usually they will bisect the Old City. The biggest downside is them dropping off in Nimman, and getting in heavy traffic, but that won't happen if you are just east of Nimman. Airport Plaza almost always gets a grunt or groan, unless they are already going that way, then they will even do it for 20...we'll see if the Nimmman extension makes getting through there easier, or even possible, without going to the moat for two u-turns.

Thanks for the road trip report to KSK.

:)