Cosmetics seized from travelers at Thai airport checkpoints turn up in online sale

webfact

Cashing in on trash: Cosmetics seized from travelers at airport turn up in online sale
By Coconuts Bangkok

leftover_cosmetics.jpg
Cosmetics bottles, believed to be items confiscated from travelers at airport checkpoints. Photo: Pantip

BANGKOK: -- Airports of Thailand (AOT) said today it would investigate how an online shop obtained cosmetics bottles, believed to be items confiscated from travelers at airport checkpoints, and sold them at cheap prices.

The move followed a recent Pantip forum discussion as a netizen took a screenshot of the online shop and questioned whether it was fair for someone to start a business from the liquid bottles that travelers are forced to throw out at checkpoints.

“I have been told to throw out my makeup remover… just so airport staff can re-sell them?” wrote the user who started the thread.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/02/16/cashing-trash-cosmetics-seized-travelers-airport-turn-online-sale

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-02-17

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anybody in his right minds and lived in Thailand more than 5 minuets, thought for a one second

that all that stuff confiscated at the airport security people will go to the bin? really?

We know Thailand, this is no news for us, I would have a shocker if indeed, those confiscated

items would have gone to the trash....

Anytime I've been told to dispose of any item at an airport checkpoint in Thailand I've made it a point to empty all the contents in the bin before disposing of the packaging all the while smiling at the lady standing by the bin.

Anytime I've been told to dispose of any item at an airport checkpoint in Thailand I've made it a point to empty all the contents in the bin before disposing of the packaging all the while smiling at the lady standing by the bin.

Not sure why you would be so smug. It would show greater smarts to follow the simple guidelines on what can and cannot be taken hand luggage.

An extra problem of sorts for AOT because as they investigate, if they bother, action will depend on how far up the employee chain this goes so the problem may be explaining / excusing it away rather than dealing with those involved.

It must be well organised to go from seizure to online sales so it's more than likely supervisors / management are involved because at the very least there's no accounting for items seized or there's ' creative accounting '.

Gosh - this comes as a real surprise!

Do you suppose that there could be similar operations flogging pen knives, nail files and scissors?

But they wouldn't sell the booze they confiscate. This is Thailand after all. facepalm.giffacepalm.giffacepalm.gifblink.pngblink.pngblink.png

An extra problem of sorts for AOT because as they investigate, if they bother, action will depend on how far up the employee chain this goes so the problem may be explaining / excusing it away rather than dealing with those involved.

It must be well organised to go from seizure to online sales so it's more than likely supervisors / management are involved because at the very least there's no accounting for items seized or there's ' creative accounting '.

That goes without saying. In these organised governmental or quasi governmental corruption scams, everybody gets a slice of the pie commensurate with their place in the pecking order.

They invented multi-level marketing payoffs. rolleyes.gif

Not sure why you would be so smug. It would show greater smarts to follow the simple guidelines on what can and cannot be taken hand luggage.

There is always one perfect citizen who never forgets anything and is an annoying anchor. Polish your halo as you are clearly a saint.

You are also forgetting what these people who are stealing confiscated goods are illegally selling. Focus your energy on the 'bad people'.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

What happens to the booze? (Rhetorical question). For YEARS I have observed DOZENS and DOZENS of passengers having their booze conficated at the pre-gate screening point, most commonly on flights to Australia. In some cases they had bought the bottles in other Thai airports while in transit to BKK but in others, until quite recently, at BKK itself.

Apparently not told at the point of purchase that there are restrictions on this and they risk confiscation. Very good business arrangement for the duty free monopoly ( in addition to the fact that the booze for sale is usually retail plus 20% rather than duty free).

Edited by Prbkk

Meanwhile the lady is smiling back thinking about what she's going to re-fill the bottle with before selling it.

Like i would have known that taking 100ml of unopened hair gel or toothpaste could be used to blow up an airplane.

My name's Ray, Not McGyver.

Edited by Rayk

What happens to the booze? (Rhetorical question). For YEARS I have observed DOZENS and DOZENS of passengers having their booze conficated at the pre-gate screening point, most commonly on flights to Australia. In some cases they had bought the bottles in other Thai airports while in transit to BKK but in others, until quite recently, at BKK itself.

Apparently not told at the point of purchase that there are restrictions on this and they risk confiscation. Very good business arrangement for the duty free monopoly ( in addition to the fact that the booze for sale is usually retail plus 20% rather than duty free).

Yeah but it's not only Thailand. I got pinged by the Nazi Border Patrol transitting through Sydney. Bought the duty free bottle of JD at Christchurch no problems but the Aussie Nazis wouldn't let me transit back on the same plane at Sydney.

Solution - take a few hefty swigs and then spit in the bottle, crush the metal cap so it's unusable, then give them the open tainted bottle.

Bottle of JD, $34

The look on the Nazis face, priceless.

The other passengers pissing themselves (and one bloke copied me), beyond value. thumbsup.gif

But they wouldn't sell the booze they confiscate. This is Thailand after all.

What happens to the booze? (Rhetorical question). For YEARS I have observed DOZENS and DOZENS of passengers having their booze conficated at the pre-gate screening point,

Well, in the case of Phuket International Airport, local hotels can order the liquor that they need from a guy who comes round with a list.......

I know because I've been offered this many times. I don't sell spirits at my hotel, so never take up the offer. Typically, the price of a bottle of Gin or Vodka is 50% of the retail price.

100ml of liquid is the rule at most Airports, most should know the procedure when being scanned.

The items would normally have to be destroyed, so I don't see a problem with the products being resold.

Sold for charity, everyone would agree. Sold by some corrupt sleazebag, no

There is always one perfect citizen who never forgets anything and is an annoying anchor. Polish your halo as you are clearly a saint.

You are also forgetting what these people who are stealing confiscated goods are illegally selling. Focus your energy on the 'bad people'.

LG, I always remember what my Irish granny always used to day " remember, a halo only has to slip six inches and it becomes a noose!"

Oh, you don't see the problems?

Well now, what about the fact those articles are confiscated from hand luggage?

So probably opened, that is NOT sealed, and because of that might be tainted with anything!

That is why all the confiscated goods should be destroyed, not to be sold.

But they wouldn't sell the booze they confiscate. This is Thailand after all.

What happens to the booze? (Rhetorical question). For YEARS I have observed DOZENS and DOZENS of passengers having their booze conficated at the pre-gate screening point,

Well, in the case of Phuket International Airport, local hotels can order the liquor that they need from a guy who comes round with a list.......

I know because I've been offered this many times. I don't sell spirits at my hotel, so never take up the offer. Typically, the price of a bottle of Gin or Vodka is 50% of the retail price.

But that's corrupt surely?

I thought that had been sorted out on Phuket?

The stuff should be donated to charity

I second that.

Donating it, [or even selling it at very reduced prices] is still better than throwing it away.

Bit shameful that the airport staff makes some money on this, but it explains why they are so strict about it.

Maybe use a marker to mark the bottle "FREE!" before you give it to them next time, haha. Don't forget to carry a magic marker to the airport, but still forget to not bring bottles bigger than 100ml... ;)

Gosh - this comes as a real surprise!

Do you suppose that there could be similar operations flogging pen knives, nail files and scissors?

The TSA in America regularly auctions off items confiscated at their airport checkpoints, in sorted lots. Bid on 100 Swiss Army knives, assorted scissors, etc., on government surplus auction sites. Never seen opened cosmetics, however...

I, too, find this unseemly, but such is the society we live vin.