Cosmetics seized from travelers at Thai airport checkpoints turn up in online sale

webfact

Bunch of criminals...how dare you confiscate our products on the basis of some bogus claims and then sale them behind our backs....where's my baseball bat?

Security confiscated it.

You can buy it back from a stall in Chatuchack...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ROFL.

I always tell the customs where i can empty my bottles or other things they always seems to confiscate. A flashlight with small blads were confiscated. I just breaked every single blade and broke the glas, everyone were looking at me. 120ml parfyme bottles or deodorant i always ask for the sink and empty it there..

Anytime I've been told to dispose of any item at an airport checkpoint in Thailand I've made it a point to empty all the contents in the bin before disposing of the packaging all the while smiling at the lady standing by the bin.

Not sure why you would be so smug. It would show greater smarts to follow the simple guidelines on what can and cannot be taken hand luggage.
Forgetfulness, seem to remember an ex BIB heavy forgetting a loaded handgun in this checked luggage - that's of course after it was allowed to pass Thai security on the way out....

Powerful people and Hi So are exempt? whistling.gif

We all know that, just the "authorities" don't realise that the rest of the world knows. Ostriches come to mind. gigglem.gif

I think if I made the mistake of having one or more of these items in my possession. I would have no problem with it being given to someone who could use it. I don't think it's right to take financial advantage of the traveller

I agree that they should be donated to charity.

100ml of liquid is the rule at most Airports, most should know the procedure when being scanned.

The items would normally have to be destroyed, so I don't see a problem with the products being resold.

Agree with what you're saying BUT who is pocketing the proceeds from the sale of the seized items? If the money was being used to support a worthy cause e.g. orphanage, AIDS treatment, etc. I'd have no problem with that. But the thoughts of some airport employee making money off of seized goods doesn't appeal to me and probably doesn't with most of the travellers who've had to throw away items.

100ml of liquid is the rule at most Airports, most should know the procedure when being scanned.

The items would normally have to be destroyed, so I don't see a problem with the products being resold.

Agree with what you're saying BUT who is pocketing the proceeds from the sale of the seized items? If the money was being used to support a worthy cause e.g. orphanage, AIDS treatment, etc. I'd have no problem with that. But the thoughts of some airport employee making money off of seized goods doesn't appeal to me and probably doesn't with most of the travellers who've had to throw away items.
I should imagine that the proceeds are shared on a pro rata basis by all those with any dealings with the stuff. You can be sure that the airport management wouldn't let an earner like this get away.

Then again, as many have said, I'm sure that it is not a scam confined to Thailand or even SE Asia'

First thing:

That person ( who ever they are ) having started the thread pointing out the malfeasance practiced by airport employees and or any airport officials better be ready for a knock on the door.

I believe this would be or could be another argued to be justified but very frivolous "Defamation of Character" lawsuit case that would once again supersede any wrong doing on the part of any airport officials and or their airport employee sleazy cohorts.

Meantime: For all those people that ever asked what happens to all the confiscated goods at airports.....Well now you know.

Cheers

Did anybody in his right minds and lived in Thailand more than 5 minuets, thought for a one second

that all that stuff confiscated at the airport security people will go to the bin? really?

We know Thailand, this is no news for us, I would have a shocker if indeed, those confiscated

items would have gone to the trash....

This is true enough. I haven't had experience of it though because I don't drink (alcohol), don't smoke and don't wear make up etc. However, shows how stupid these sellers are to sell the ill gotten gains by a public advertiser. Doubt much will happen except perhaps 'don't get caught again', Ha!

What happens to the booze? (Rhetorical question). For YEARS I have observed DOZENS and DOZENS of passengers having their booze conficated at the pre-gate screening point, most commonly on flights to Australia. In some cases they had bought the bottles in other Thai airports while in transit to BKK but in others, until quite recently, at BKK itself.

Apparently not told at the point of purchase that there are restrictions on this and they risk confiscation. Very good business arrangement for the duty free monopoly ( in addition to the fact that the booze for sale is usually retail plus 20% rather than duty free).

Yeah but it's not only Thailand. I got pinged by the Nazi Border Patrol transitting through Sydney. Bought the duty free bottle of JD at Christchurch no problems but the Aussie Nazis wouldn't let me transit back on the same plane at Sydney.

Solution - take a few hefty swigs and then spit in the bottle, crush the metal cap so it's unusable, then give them the open tainted bottle.

Bottle of JD, $34

The look on the Nazis face, priceless.

The other passengers pissing themselves (and one bloke copied me), beyond value. thumbsup.gif

You sir, are an inspiration to us all.... :)

Anytime I've been told to dispose of any item at an airport checkpoint in Thailand I've made it a point to empty all the contents in the bin before disposing of the packaging all the while smiling at the lady standing by the bin.

Not sure why you would be so smug. It would show greater smarts to follow the simple guidelines on what can and cannot be taken hand luggage.

There is always one perfect citizen who never forgets anything and is an annoying anchor. Polish your halo as you are clearly a saint.

You are also forgetting what these people who are stealing confiscated goods are illegally selling. Focus your energy on the 'bad people'.

I would say there's more than one who is capable of following simple, and now longstanding instructions. You shouldn't assume everyone operates at the luddite level ... As for "focussing", in the Thai scheme of things, this particular abuse isn't even a pinprick!

Good luck to them. Glad to see they are not going to waste.

I am more surprised with all the bitter people here reporting destroying the stuff in front of them rather than having someone else get them.

The reason you forfeit these items is because of regulations for your safety. If I have stuff like that I am glad that they are not destroyed and that someone gets to use them. Should not be an issue at all.

Seems the real issue is the small minded nature of travellers who think the rules should not apply to them.

I wonder what else is smuggled out of airports? Fuel, mechanical parts, a multitude of things.

There's probably a Somchai working in the R&M division who's smuggling out an Airbus 380 piece by piece to assemble on Pee Chai's farm up in Nakon Nowhere.

A bit like Radar O'reilly from 4077 M*A*S*H. He was sending home a jeep to Mom piece by piece every week. facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

It would not surprise me.

I wonder what else is smuggled out of airports? Fuel, mechanical parts, a multitude of things.

There's probably a Somchai working in the R&M division who's smuggling out an Airbus 380 piece by piece to assemble on Pee Chai's farm up in Nakon Nowhere.

A bit like Radar O'reilly from 4077 M*A*S*H. He was sending home a jeep to Mom piece by piece every week. facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

It would not surprise me.

A certain % of everything gets skimmed off and that's not only in Thailand

I've seen companies before in the west that were losing everything from stock to stationary, toilet roll to tea bags, light bulbs , paper and pens....

You would not believe the volume of stuff that gets pilfered by staff so this is hardly any surprise

Like i would have known that taking 100ml of unopened hair gel or toothpaste could be used to blow up an airplane.

My name's Ray, Not McGyver.

And ONE thing that does not make ANY sense whatsoever? If the 100ml bottle is only half full, it still gets taken away as the container size counts, not the content...

Gosh - this comes as a real surprise!

Do you suppose that there could be similar operations flogging pen knives, nail files and scissors?

Well they have a lot of sex toys and similiar items deemed offensive to Thai culuture that im sure they have seized for themselves if not sold too.

What happens to the booze? (Rhetorical question). For YEARS I have observed DOZENS and DOZENS of passengers having their booze conficated at the pre-gate screening point, most commonly on flights to Australia. In some cases they had bought the bottles in other Thai airports while in transit to BKK but in others, until quite recently, at BKK itself.

Apparently not told at the point of purchase that there are restrictions on this and they risk confiscation. Very good business arrangement for the duty free monopoly ( in addition to the fact that the booze for sale is usually retail plus 20% rather than duty free).

Yeah but it's not only Thailand. I got pinged by the Nazi Border Patrol transitting through Sydney. Bought the duty free bottle of JD at Christchurch no problems but the Aussie Nazis wouldn't let me transit back on the same plane at Sydney.

Solution - take a few hefty swigs and then spit in the bottle, crush the metal cap so it's unusable, then give them the open tainted bottle.

Bottle of JD, $34

The look on the Nazis face, priceless.

The other passengers pissing themselves (and one bloke copied me), beyond value. thumbsup.gif

They probably play back the incident at their Christmas party, laughing at you, the idiot of the year.

Do you suppose that there could be similar operations flogging pen knives, nail files and scissors?

There is sure to be a racket going on with the alcohol and liquid cosmetics that are confiscated by Thai security doing bag checks at boarding gates for planes bound for Australia. The Australian Government claims that these "risky " duty free carry on products are OK on planes leaving Australia because their Duty Free shops are, to quote, "STERILE". I have that in writing from the Australian Government. So effectively Australia is saying that Duty Free shops at Suvarnabhumi Airport are not "STERILE" and therefore their products are not OK for taking on board any aircraft leaving Thailand en-route to Australia. I wonder if the Thai Government or AOT is aware their duty free shops at International airports are classified as "UN-STERILE" by Australian authorities. Therefore after having my bottle of whisky confiscated at the boarding gate my tip is DO NOT purchase duty free liquids of any kind to take on board departures to Australia ex Thai airports. It will be taken from you as you board the aircraft and will most likely end up on the black market and a nice little earner for some staff.

Of course, all airports auction off the items confiscated at check in and they are resold on the internet. Why not? if it upsets you then don't try to take prohibited items through the check-in. I like the little Victorinox/Swiss Army pen knives. I bought a dozen of them off eBay. The are sterilized knives that were confiscated at the airports. I need many because I lose them and give them away to friends. They cost around $2-3 each when bought in quantity.

Bangkok Air is always taking customers belongings they have had marmite and at least 6 litres of spirits off me over the years when travelling from Bangkok to Koh Samui I would love to know what they do with it so be careful don't put these types of items in your onboard hand luggage .

Like i would have known that taking 100ml of unopened hair gel or toothpaste could be used to blow up an airplane.

My name's Ray, Not McGyver.

Actually you can take whatever your original product was and break it down into 100ml bottles and bring along the original bottle empty. Then pour everything back into the original container later. I have done it several times before.